Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 01:06 PM   #1
sundance
sundance began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab A
[Android] Companion won't connect - Demo will

I've had calibre companion for a about 3 years and it sometimes take 20 or 30 tries to get it to connect. I put on calibre demo and it connects instantly every time. Both are using the same parameters. Any suggestions?
sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:47 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Given that the two versions use *exactly the same code* to connect, something must be different in the environment. It could be the device, the setup, some firewall on the android device, the size of the library, or something related to where the books are stored. Guessing without any further information, I suspect that it is the size of the library.

If you send me a CC debug log from both the demo and full version then I might be able to tell you what that difference is.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #3
sundance

companion vs. demo

I figured that the code would be pretty much the same. Both apps are running on my Samsung Galaxy Tab A. The library of course is on my computer which both connect to. Same hardware, software, and environment. I could get a debug log if you could point me to directions. Thanks for helping.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #4
sundance

Never mind about debug log instructions:

I see.
Old 11-14-2017, 08:28 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
CC runs fine on my TAB A

Connection issues almost always fall into; The computer is currently sleeping or Calibre was closed.

Is it possible that your Tab connects to different WiFi networks (Guest instead of Main)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2017, 09:00 AM   #6
sundance

No. Same network and I am looking at Calibre on the screen so it is not asleep.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Given that the two versions use *exactly the same code* to connect, something must be different in the environment. [...] the size of the library, or something related to where the books are stored.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance View Post
The library of course is on my computer which both connect to. Same hardware, software, and environment.
When I said "size of the library" I meant the library on the device. The demo version's library will be very small (for obvious reasons), while the full version's library might be large. This coupled with performance differences in storing books in main memory vs SD cards could explain the problem. That is why I pointed at the FAQ [Android] I have added a lot of books and now adding books takes forever. What do I do?.

If all of the following are true:
  • the library is on an SD card or you changed the library location in main memory
  • the library is reasonably large (> 1000 books or so)
  • you have not changed the storage template (the FAQ above)
  • you have "scan for new books" enabled (CC Settings / Connecting to calibre / Wireless device connection / Scan on connect).
  • you have all the formats enabled available in CC's Settings / Formats & Folders
then there is a good chance that the scan taking so long that the network connection is timing out.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote