Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-14-2017, 05:09 AM   #1
james.sunshine
james.sunshine began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Lightbulb Server's default display

Greetings,

Is there a way I can change the calibre-server default display (after login) to show a list of categories instead of just a list of books?

I've dug through the documentation, and if it's there, I didn't recognize it. Can someone either point me to the correct options (either command line or URL) or configuration file option.

If no such thing exists, this could be a useful option for future releases.

Thanks.
james.sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:19 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Simply bookmark the page you want displayed. In your case the page you get after clicking the magnifying glass icon.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2017, 12:36 AM   #3
james.sunshine

Cool ok.....

... so the answer is no.

Sure I can bookmark a page. But every person that logs in to the server has to find their way to that page.

I'm still in the position of having to provide instructions to every person who has trouble navigating the server's interface to get them to that page. Now I add "just bookmark it" to the end....

Not really what's needed, but thanks.

I'm trying to get up-to-speed on Python so perhaps I can attempt to make some changes. If I can manage to get it working, I'll submit the changes. Not sure when I'll be able to get to it, but I would like to try.

Last edited by james.sunshine; 11-17-2017 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Afterthought....
Old 11-17-2017, 03:59 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by james.sunshine View Post
Sure I can bookmark a page. But every person that logs in to the server has to find their way to that page.
Excuse my ignorance, but can't you just share the bookmark?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:36 AM   #5
james.sunshine

No. I tried that. I bookmarked the search form where it shows the tag list (more on that in a moment) but when I sent it to a co-worker, it landed on the main search form. Not what I need either way.

And the tag list makes things even more difficult. Before, I had a list of all the tags/categories and the number of books under that tag. Now, I need to either remember the category so I can pick the correct first letter, or search each letter separately till I find the tag I want. That's made more work (and as a result, an unhappy user base).
Advert
Old 11-24-2017, 08:12 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The main search form is exactly equivalent to the old categories page. Actually it is superior in many ways. But sure, you dont like change, so nothing I say is going to satisfy you. Feel free to patch your copy of calibre to do whatever you want it to do.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
james.sunshine

Woah... easy Kovid. I love Calibre. I still use it and push it whenever possible. It's a fantastic tool. Let's keep this friendly.

Now to your points: Yes the main search is probably fantastic. And since I'm the one putting in the books and setting tags and info, I know what I'm searching for. However, as you well know, most of the double-digit IQ users we must deal with do not, and I'm sure you get just as frustrated dealing with such idiots as I do.

As to not liking change: Incorrect. I'm a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. If a better tool comes along, I use it. I don't dismiss change if the change works better. I'm sure we're too much the professional to dismiss out-of-hand anything good that comes along.

Nothing you say will satisfy me: No. Again, in my initial post, I suggested that such a feature as selecting a landing/home page could be added to future releases. If your answer is yes, that satisfies me. If your answer is no, that too satisfies me. As I do not know Python very well, it would indeed take me some time to spin up and understand enough of the server code. I would hope, should I come up with something usable, that you would consider doing a QA check and possibly incorporating it into the main code base.

Final thoughts: As a lack of non-verbal queues is a major drawback in textual communication, I must apologize for any presumed/assumed tone in my conversations to this point. Its difficult to understand another persons mood, etc. just from text. For any offence drawn from my conversations, I humbly apologize. I only intended a friendly tone.

Tags
server