Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #16
diremommy
Zealot
diremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshesdiremommy can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zenpad S 8, iPad mini 2
I have a phone that's upgraded, but I'm not on my phone all the time. I text my kids and my husband, get school calls, and that's about it. I use my ipad every day, either for reading or web surfing, which is why I asked. My zenpad turned into a glitchy slug when I upgraded fron Lollipop to Marshmallow, I don't want that to happen again, I can't afford a new ipad right now.

I know I'll have to update sooner or later, I just worry.
diremommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by diremommy View Post
I know I'll have to update sooner or later, I just worry.
Why do you think you'll have to upgrade? If you're happy with what you've got now, stick with it!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2017, 06:54 PM   #18
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
At some point you will want an app that only works on Version 11. There are already some of these and more are coming so you have to say, stick with old out of date stuff or move on. It is not as easy as you think. I have switched my iPhone and watch but am holding off on my iPad for a while.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #19
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
I have already seen apps that require iOS 11 or they will not even download. Others may offer two versions but the older one will no longer be upgraded. It is not just a 32-bit vs 64-bit change (there are plenty of 64-bit apps on older OS's) but many features and programming interface has also changed. My problem is that many apps I like are not supported on iOS 11.

Dale

Life is compromise ... I'm facing the same thing owning Android and iOS. There's some very nice Android apps I love that are not available for iOS. My only consolation is that I still have access to them, just not on my shiny new iPad. I'll have to try and find substitutes. Some though, just don't appear to have any counterparts.

I knew I'd have to do without some of my favorite apps in advance, but I just had to have the image editing power of the Pencil and the iPad Pro.

I suppose where apps/software are needed, we are all somewhat at the mercy of developers, who can drop support or stop updating at any time.

Hope you can find acceptable substitutes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #20
onewiththeanswer
onewiththeanswer began at the beginning.

Device: none
I also updated mine and it works a bit slower than it used to. Also, I have a problem with the battery. It can not last for a full day if I use it 60% of the time. I would suggest not to update it yet. Just wait a bit, they might fix the problems.
onewiththeanswer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewiththeanswer View Post
I also updated mine and it works a bit slower than it used to. Also, I have a problem with the battery. It can not last for a full day if I use it 60% of the time.
I'd suggest looking at the "Battery" app and finding out what's actually using the battery. It's probably something running in the background. Disable background running for all apps except those which actually need it.
Old 10-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #22
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Location services can be a real drain, and also if you are at home and use wifi, and not needing mobile data, switch it off. I switch mine on when I go out the door. Its a pain to have to pay attention to these things but necessary, it seems to me. Also I dont allow absolutely every app access to location services. Seems to me they all ask for it and only a few absolutely need it. Another thing, in spite of apple's protestations to the contrary, those apps you close, that lie in wait for you to want to use them again, *are* using battery. Close them properly every so often.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Another thing, in spite of apple's protestations to the contrary, those apps you close, that lie in wait for you to want to use them again, *are* using battery.
They don't if you don't allow them to. Go to "Settings / General / Background App Refresh" and turn it off for all except the apps you want to do stuff in the background.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:17 PM   #24
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They don't if you don't allow them to. Go to "Settings / General / Background App Refresh" and turn it off for all except the apps you want to do stuff in the background.
Already have been doing that for as long as we have been able to. There are still drains on the battery from some apps, just because they are lurking in the background.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote