Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #1
mpd123
Zealot
mpd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipsempd123 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kobo glo / samsung note 10.1
colour eink devices - who cares???

after reading various threads on the forum a common theme seems to be colour eink. my question is why? when you buy a pbook the cover it in colour but the part that matters- which is the text- is in black and white .what benefit is there from colour eink i just dont see it as an issue.

cheers , mick.
mpd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
djulian
Evangelist
djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.djulian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I care!

There are several books w/ color illustrations that I would enjoy reading on an e-ink screen; these range from kids books to text books to comic books. I've got a few non-fiction books w/ color charts that would make much less sense in black and white.
djulian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
An eink color reader would mean you can browse the web, read comics & magazines and get battery life of days instead of hours that you get with current tablets.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Comics, history, military vehicle identification guides, tour guides, general how to books all could use color.

Last edited by Phogg; 10-13-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 PM   #5
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
There are a couple of books I'd like to have in colour and I think it would be nice to have the book covers in colour, but it's not a big deal for me. Given that most of the books I read on my reader are read once and then deleted it doesn't matter. If I really wanted to see the colour I'd get the pbook, it would probably be something I wanted to keep. It might be good to have the option.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Many programming books these days have colorized code samples.

What about magazines? Comics?

Sure, for your average best seller, it means nothing... but there is more to eBooks than that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #7
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
Magazines, or for kids. Or maybe coffee table type books, or books on photography or art. Or cookbooks now that I think of it.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
I don't really care for Color either. I can see where it could be applied but I'd just buy an Xoom or Galaxy Tab or Ipad instead. I read books on my reader not Mags or charts.

And I'm guessing that most people who have readers don't need or care for color.
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Cookbook and textbooks (pathology, colour essential) for me.

I'll probably get a 10" tablet of some kind instead, but colour eink would be my preferred option.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:32 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Terminator View Post
I don't really care for Color either. I can see where it could be applied but I'd just buy an Xoom or Galaxy Tab or Ipad instead. I read books on my reader not Mags or charts.

And I'm guessing that most people who have readers don't need or care for color.
Or you could state the corollary...

People that want to read content with significant color don't have eInk readers.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i'd love color eink
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:04 AM   #12
SmokeAndMirrors
Addict
SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SmokeAndMirrors ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Pad Slider
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpd123 View Post
after reading various threads on the forum a common theme seems to be colour eink. my question is why? when you buy a pbook the cover it in colour but the part that matters- which is the text- is in black and white .what benefit is there from colour eink i just dont see it as an issue.

cheers , mick.
I don't. But then again, I'm the chick who runs her KT in airplane mode all the time and hasn't updated her firmware because I don't care about any of the features.

I'm the most basic ereader user ever. All I do is read. Between books, sometimes I check Reading Life. That's it.

To me? Color eInk makes absolutely no difference. I'm not bothered by my covers being in black and white. I'm not a big comic reader, but even on the rare occasion I do read comics, I honestly can't imagine myself caring that much.

But that's just me. I can see color eInk being great for a lot of users - even students, as big-screen ereaders gain functionality and become learning tools. I can see how someone who is much more into comics than I am might long for a color screen.

I mean at the heart of it... who cares about ANY ereader, or most of the tech toys we have? None of them are actually necessarily for anything. They do things that could already be done before they were invented, just in a different way or a different form factor. And most of what they do is just pleasure activities. None of it is actually important. But for users who like color for whatever their reason might be...

It's an important development. It's just not important to me.

A tech development is only as important as the user's desires. Thus why some readers don't care about ereaders and some do.

Personally, I'm holding out for bendy/plastic substrate screens. That's the tech I'm paying attention to. I tend to hold on to my things until they're utterly dead, so by the time I'm ready to upgrade hopefully they'll be available.

Last edited by SmokeAndMirrors; 10-14-2011 at 01:24 AM.
SmokeAndMirrors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:30 AM   #13
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Some pdf textbooks I read have colour coded pages I'd like to make full use of.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 03:34 AM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I honesty think it's mostly comics. Pretty much anything else that uses color would require a 10" reader.

Also so heavily pirated that they came up with their own format for it (cbr).
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 04:33 AM   #15
TheSFReader
Groupie
TheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really niceTheSFReader is just really nice

Device: Nook
Think of the Children ! I know I'd be a little more tempted to read ebooks to my young child if there were color images ...
TheSFReader is offline   Reply With Quote