Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #1
becsta
Enthusiast
becsta doesn't litterbecsta doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura
Pictures in books

I am currently reading a book that has some photos in it. When I got to the chapter with the photos my reader froze and I had to reset it. After it reset I went to the chapter after the photo chapter and continued reading from there. I put the book on my phone and when looking at the photo chapter I discovered there was also lots of pages of text that I missed out on reading by skipping to the next chapter.

Has anyone else had the problem? How do I get around it.

Thanks
becsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by becsta View Post
I am currently reading a book that has some photos in it. When I got to the chapter with the photos my reader froze and I had to reset it. After it reset I went to the chapter after the photo chapter and continued reading from there. I put the book on my phone and when looking at the photo chapter I discovered there was also lots of pages of text that I missed out on reading by skipping to the next chapter.

Has anyone else had the problem? How do I get around it.

Thanks
Were you reading something you weren't supposed to?

Way too thin on the info...

Book...? Pictures...?

Book, what format (EPUB,PDF...), source: Commercial (Store bought), Amateur (not saying the commercial guys do it better )?

Pictures... Color/BW... Image encoding (JPEG,GIF..)

Last edited by theducks; 08-24-2010 at 10:46 AM.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Well, on the same subject, I'm curious how hard it is to do ebooks with lots of images, simply because I've got a few coming up that I'm going to be working on that will have lots of images in them. Most of them will be character sketches and the like, but still, there will be quite a few pictures.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
Well, on the same subject, I'm curious how hard it is to do ebooks with lots of images, simply because I've got a few coming up that I'm going to be working on that will have lots of images in them. Most of them will be character sketches and the like, but still, there will be quite a few pictures.
Must not be too hard.
Many books I read have maps and diagrams, just like their paper cousins.

The issue is (and it holds true for the paper version): Was the layout designed for the current Media?

Many PDF provide a prime example. They were produced for a single, physical PAPER size., about 6"x9" for trade paper/HB.
Lots of space for artistic effects (white space, large graphics).
Cram that onto a 3"x4" (5" e-reader) screen
Hammer that onto a even smaller phone screen

Look at what you produce on a variety of device types. Big, small, color, mono-chome (and at different grey scale capability)and test on (buggy) ADE as well as some of the viewers found here at MR. See if you can work around the bugs.

Avoid absolute values for size and placement., they mess any flow.
Use proportional and relative layout.
Example: Indent I usually change the indents Webscriptions uses (they seem to format for a larger screen) from 2em to 3%. The wider the screen, the bigger the indent and the indent does not become larger on Zooming the text on my 6" reader.

Margins: My reader has a built in margin( Bezel), Paper books only had paper. Use the whole screen as a canvas.

If the graphic is huge, can you slice it so "page only" type readers can see portions at a decent size (remember to provide a slight overlap on the sliced edges)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote