Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
lakicsv
lakicsv began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Question Which ebook format to use for embedded metadata?

Hi All,

I would like to embed all metadata into my files using Calibre. My goal is to select a single format, convert my ebooks ito that format and use use Calibre to embed all metadata into that single file, rather than have an .opf file in the directory. This would be rather similar to how MP3 files keep title/song performer/genre etc. information right in the file (or exif for pictures). I want to embed :

Author, Title (Unicode if possible), Publisher, Year, My own tags, ISBN, and the cover page image.

My questions:
  1. Is this possible with CAlibre? If it is how to go about it.
  2. Which Ebook format to choose to be able to embed metadata?
  3. If Calibre does not support this, does anyone know a utility to do this from the opf files?

My ultimate goal is platform/software independence - if I were to switch or abondon my cataloging program of choice I would like to keep the metadata embedded in the file, so I do not have to bother sorting it again...

Your help is appreciated.

Best : Viktor
lakicsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
EPUB supports the most metadata. However, no format supports all of the metadata that you can enter into calibre.

calibre only writes metadata to a file when you use Save to Disk or Send to Device. This is so it can have more metadata about the book than what the format the book is in supports. Also this is much faster than writing metadata every time you make a change to every format you have the book in. Some formats have to have the entire file extracted then rebuilt to change metadata.

If you want the file itself that is in calibre to have the updated metadata you will need to enter the metadata into calibre, convert the book to EPUB if it isn't already. If it is already in EPUB then you will need to do this extra set, use the Save to Disk option to save the file out of calibre. Use the metadata editor dialog to delete the EPUB file for the book then add the EPUB you've saved back into calibre.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #3
lakicsv
lakicsv began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
EPUB supports the most metadata. However, no format supports all of the metadata that you can enter into calibre.

calibre only writes metadata to a file when you use Save to Disk or Send to Device. .
So this is my biggest problem. As I pointed out in a separate thread my Calibre cannot save any other formats with the save DisK feature. It starts saving, prompts for the directory, but at the end when "the saving" is finished the directory is empty!

It does not work for me - could you try this on yours?

lakicsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post

calibre only writes metadata to a file when you use Save to Disk or Send to Device.
Whoa..major mystery solved for me
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 02:11 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
save to disk will only save existing formats. You have to convert to the format in question first.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
calibre, embedding, metadata