Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-10-2020, 07:03 PM   #151
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
With an external battery pack I don’t have to end the call when I need more power. No need to switch the battery. It’s no easier to carry an extra battery around with you than to carry a battery pack. Battery packs come in all sizes from pretty small “just charge the phone once” those that can fit in a wallet, to fairly big but can lower all your devices for a long weekend.

Same battery pack can charge my iPhone, Kindle Fire Tab, my travel hot spot and my iPad. Most of the time I don’t need a battery pack at all.

But, if I'm going to a ball game or celebrating the 4th of July or a concert...I’ll bring a thin battery pack about the size of my iPhone that has lightning and “android” chords built in.

If I’m going to relatives for the weekend, Or traveling for a couple days for work, I’ll add a bigger battery bank that can charge multiple times. If it’s vacationing for a week, I’ll bring too.

Many Android phones have had day and a half or 2 day battery life...and now the iPhone 11's have great battery too. The battery pack need is much reduced.
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:09 PM   #152
HLS
Groupie
HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.HLS is not required to obey the law of gravity.

Device: Kindle Oasis,Paperwhite,Ook Glowlight Plus, KOBO Aura,H2O, Cara
I dont think cell phones have replacable batteries. I have not seen one that does in a decade. There is no need for a new battery. Time it dies your device will be out of date and you will need a new one
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #153
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Note 2, Samsung S5(use as reader) Samsung Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I dont think cell phones have replacable batteries. I have not seen one that does in a decade. There is no need for a new battery. Time it dies your device will be out of date and you will need a new one
You will only need a new phone if your old one doesn't do everything you need it to do.

I still use my 8 year old Samsung Note 2 as my main phone. I use it as a phone , ereader, and mp3 player. So long as it continues to do these three things, I will keep using it as my main phone.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 PM   #154
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Quote:
Out of date by who's standards? My husband is using an iPhone 6 that is almost 6 yers old. It does everything he needs, makes calls, texts, gps for traveling, music at the gym, etc. The battery is less than great now, and he can have it replaced for $30-50, depending on where he takes it.

It runs iOS 12 something, and still runs all the apps he needs. The longer you use such a device, the more economical they are. As long as they serve your needs, why upgrade?

Of course, we keep cars on average for 13 years, so we aren't the target demographic for the "new every 2" sales pitches. Come October 2020, I'll break my old record for driving the same car and hit 15 years in my 2005 Vibe.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 08:29 PM   #155
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I recently bought a Galaxy J3 phone that has a replaceable battery. I don't have service on it. I bought it as a second phone for reading to avoid using up my main phone's battery. That was before I found out my main phone had a power saving mode.

I use it every day for reading around the house. When I'm away from the house I read on my main phone, which also has a replaceable battery. It's a Galaxy S5 and is about 5 years old.

Replaceable batteries means somewhat thicker devices and, personally, I don't see the problem with that. Both of these are pretty thin phones and neither is heavy by any means. I think super thin phones are more a fashion statement than anything very real.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #156
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
As posted eariler in this discussion, I had a Moto phone bought about 3 years ago that I used until late 2019 - it had a replaceable battery.

Then there's this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...99/4449040002/
The article begins "Removable smartphone batteries are back in vogue. Samsung on Sunday launched the Galaxy XCover Pro, a new mid-range device that features a removable battery. It will be available in the U.S. during the first half of 2020 for $499, the company said."

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
You will only need a new phone if your old one doesn't do everything you need it to do.
One reason often given for replacing older Android phones is to get a current version of Android in case the older version on the phone is no longer secure. Though I've seen other people say that as long as you keep the apps updated it'll be OK.

The main reason I replaced my older phone was because Verizon is changing its technology and my old phone would not continue to be usable. Also the old phone didn't have a lot of memory.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:33 PM   #157
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Note 2, Samsung S5(use as reader) Samsung Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
As posted eariler in this discussion, I had a Moto phone bought about 3 years ago that I used until late 2019 - it had a replaceable battery.

Then there's this:
https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/...99/4449040002/
The article begins "Removable smartphone batteries are back in vogue. Samsung on Sunday launched the Galaxy XCover Pro, a new mid-range device that features a removable battery. It will be available in the U.S. during the first half of 2020 for $499, the company said."

One reason often given for replacing older Android phones is to get a current version of Android in case the older version on the phone is no longer secure. Though I've seen other people say that as long as you keep the apps updated it'll be OK.

The main reason I replaced my older phone was because Verizon is changing its technology and my old phone would not continue to be usable. Also the old phone didn't have a lot of memory.
Well Verizon made your phone obsolete, you didn't have a choice, and having more memory/storage is always a good thing.

I couldn't care less about whatever version of Android is on the phone, I'm able to update the few apps I have on it, and when I do download/update, it scans my phone to make sure everything is safe.

I stay safe because I only use the phone, text and apps I like. I don't keep any critical data/info on my phone. I don't bank on it, I don't purchase anything on it, that is what my pc is for. Plus my phone stays in airplane mode 99% of the time.

Based on how I use my phone, I don't need a data plan so I don't have one. my only expense is the $100.00 a year I put on it for minutes. Actually I usually just top it back up to $100.00, in Sept it cost me $20.00 to top it off.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:12 PM   #158
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Well Verizon made your phone obsolete, you didn't have a choice, and having more memory/storage is always a good thing.

I couldn't care less about whatever version of Android is on the phone, I'm able to update the few apps I have on it, and when I do download/update, it scans my phone to make sure everything is safe.

I stay safe because I only use the phone, text and apps I like. I don't keep any critical data/info on my phone. I don't bank on it, I don't purchase anything on it, that is what my pc is for. Plus my phone stays in airplane mode 99% of the time.

Based on how I use my phone, I don't need a data plan so I don't have one. my only expense is the $100.00 a year I put on it for minutes. Actually I usually just top it back up to $100.00, in Sept it cost me $20.00 to top it off.
Yeah, given your usage it doesn't sound like there's any reason for you to need a new phone as long as the old one is still functioning.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 12:56 PM   #159
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT(RIP), Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:

I switched to Tracfone from Vz a few yeas back and have not regretted it.
$100 / Year to keep my number and my minutes (voice/txt/data) roll.
None of the Daytime or Not your local area Extra charges apply. BS
My phone was for mostly getting spot work ('Are you available <date>?' )
So I have a older model Samsung Sky 7! It only cost me $80

And I keep no really critical data on the phone. And NO ONLINE BANKING type apps. Someone piks my phone, they just get my contacts (and some tunes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 01:58 PM   #160
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7, iPhone SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post

And I keep no really critical data on the phone. And NO ONLINE BANKING type apps. Someone piks my phone, they just get my contacts (and some tunes)
Someone steals mine, they need my fingerprint to get into the phone, and the bank apps
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:17 PM   #161
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 9.7, iPad 10.5, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Someone steals mine, they need my fingerprint to get into the phone, and the bank apps
To be honest, my phone's more secure than my PC.

I don't have full disk encryption on the PC whereas the phone does and it's enabled by default.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:02 PM   #162
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
With an external battery pack...
And do you walk around with an alembic-like wire connection? New gadget: a winter scarf or a summer cravat concealing the wire from the power bank to the chargee.

The other point was in the area of whether it is good or indifferent - I am not sure - to charge twice per period a 4000 mAh battery or just once a 8000 mAh.

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2020 at 04:56 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 05:12 PM   #163
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dont think cell phones have replacable batteries. I have not seen one that does in a decade
Oh my. Yes they do. Here is a list of the 3527 SIM-based palm devices with a replaceable battery ( idBatRemovable=1 ) marketed in the last decade ( nYearMin=2010 ).
www. gsmarena.com / search.php3 ? nYearMin=2010 & idBatRemovable=1
https://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3...BatRemovable=1

Quote:
There is no need for a new battery. Time it dies your device will be out of date and you will need a new one
Oh my. «Time it dies» can be 10 hours. And, who knows, maybe 10 years before another device worth buying is marketed (I am sticking with a 2014 one).
The same scarcity of adequate offer can be valid for other mobile reading devices - EPD based, Si-OLED etc.

Last edited by mdp; 02-22-2020 at 05:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:19 PM   #164
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Of course, we keep cars on average for 13 years, so we aren't the target demographic for the "new every 2" sales pitches. Come October 2020, I'll break my old record for driving the same car and hit 15 years in my 2005 Vibe.
Only apparently off-topic: to some of us - to those I happen to represent -, the future will be of buying only pre-2020 cars, until the industry and legislation gets blessed with basic wits again.

Which means that yes, it is very welcome (pretty much required) to be able to make good products work at any point in the future. Otherwise, we will be forced to do without. This, as some emerging technological solutions are unacceptable - and some of these are made pretty much compulsory.

Last edited by mdp; 02-22-2020 at 05:22 PM.
Old 02-22-2020, 05:24 PM   #165
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
they need my fingerprint
Successfully replicated with gummy bears in the history of security.