Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #1
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
E-book viewer not properly remembering book position

Hi all,

I'm currently looking for an ebook reader application for my mother to use on her new netbook.

Basically I've set it up so that my calibre library is published to the web, so she can browse my library and download books to read.

Currently she is using the EPUBReader firefox plugin, but that is still very limited in what you can and can't do. She also doesn't like MS Reader, because it's too small - she likes to make more use of the screen (width wise) and doesn't want to rotate the screen.

An ideal application for her to use would be the calibre E-Book viewer. However, during my testing, I've found that despite what the Manual claims, the E-book viewer does not seem to exactly remember where you were in a book when you close the app, and reopen it with the same book. It instead remembers what chapter you were reading, and opens at the BEGINNING of the chapter. The same seems to happen with bookmarks.
This behavior seems to happen with both LIT and EPUB files, and is the same no matter the book.

Is this a bug with the app? A design descision? Or are there settings I need to change?

If this behavior will not change, does anyone have any alternative suggestions for ebook reading (EPUB or LIT)? MS Reader would have been ideal if it wasn't for its fixed width design, and I don't particually want to install ADE or the sony software if i can help it.

I've tried both calibre 0.6.35/36.

PS: Sorry that parts of this post don't really belong here - if the answer to the e-book viewer is "its designed that way" (or similar) I'll ask my other questions again in the more generic Reading & Management forum.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Sounds like a bug. Open a ticket and attach a file showing this behavior.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2010, 12:19 AM   #3
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks Kovid.

Ticket opened, #4812
Old 02-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #4
sherman
Guru

Just writing to say thank you so much for fixing this issue in versions => 0.6.38.

Mum is very happy with the switch to E-book Viewer from the firefox EPUBReader plugin.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Glad it works for her
Advert
Old 02-20-2010, 04:46 PM   #6
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Wish it did for me! I'm using 6.40 on my Asus T91MT running Win7 home premium. Calibre ebook viewer doesn't remember my place if I have to close it for some reason. Never has. I have to use the bookmark function.

Also - I REALLY hate to mention this, but page turn buttons on both sides would be wonderful. I know you can move the taskbar from side to side or even the bottom, but having just the page turn buttons available on either side would be really handy.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 04:49 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

What format of books are you reading?
Old 02-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #8
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What format of books are you reading?
Mainly ePub. But I've had this problem with .lit books, too.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:08 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Strange, can you open a ticket and attach one of the epub files that's giving you trouble.
Old 02-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Strange, can you open a ticket and attach one of the epub files that's giving you trouble.
Sure.