Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #1
waltergallegog
waltergallegog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 JB
Search for a word inside the pop-up result (dictionary/wikipedia)

Hello,
I tried looking for a solution to my doubt in the forums and google but did not find anything.

A lot of times, when I'm reading the definition of a word given in the pop-up dictionary (or in the wikipedia), there is some other word I don't know neither and I would like to search for the new unknown word in the dictionary. (like a nested dictionary search..)

This happens a lot with some of the definitions given in the Spanish dictionary.
Let me give you a very stupid example "translated" to English:
Lets say in the book I'm reading a see the word runner and I don't know what that means, so a look for it in the dictionary, and the definition in the pop-up window is:
runner: a person that runs.
But of course don't know what runs means neither, so that result is basically useless for me, unless I can search again for what runs means.

Any way of make the pop-up dictionary text searchable?
I have a kindle PW3 JB, so maybe there is already a hack that does this?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by waltergallegog; 01-04-2017 at 02:40 PM.
waltergallegog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 06:08 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
If you press on the pop-up window, it should give you more definitions or there may be something that says full definition.
That should help.
Run: to move at a speed faster than a walk.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2017, 01:21 PM   #3
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If you press on the pop-up window, it should give you more definitions or there may be something that says full definition.
That should help.
I tried touching a word in a definition, in the past few days, and nothing else happened. I have a Voyage.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I tried touching a word in a definition, in the past few days, and nothing else happened. I have a Voyage.
I didn't mean touch the word. I meant press the pop-up window to see if a full definition opened like the old K4 did when you selected full definition from the pop-up.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'll have to try it again. I know there used to be a way to go to the full dictionary. (Where, presuambly, you could check out all sorts of unrelated words before you closed it again?)
Advert
Old 01-12-2017, 09:06 PM   #6
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Depending on which firmware you have, with the dictionary popup opened, click More or three dots (vertically arranged), then choose open dictionary. This will open the dictionary like a book, and from there you can look up a word in the usual way (long press).
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 04:44 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Depending on which firmware you have, with the dictionary popup opened, click More or three dots (vertically arranged), then choose open dictionary. This will open the dictionary like a book, and from there you can look up a word in the usual way (long press).
Oh ... the More or three dots that are OUTSIDE of the dictionary popup itself? It never occurred to me to look outside of that popup.
Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
When you open the dictionary, you can swipe over two screens to "translation". If you translate the word from English to Spanish it might help you in some case. In English, as in Spanish, context is critical. For example, a runner might be a person running or it might be a long, narrow carpet that goes down a hallway or a staircase.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:35 PM   #9
Mixx
Zealot
Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mixx has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3
It used to be the case that all words in a dictionary definition could be looked up just like the ones in a book. As far as I can tell, this feature has been removed. My old Kindle Keyboard still has it and it is a very useful feature. I cannot imagine the rationale for this step backwards.
Mixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #10
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixx View Post
It used to be the case that all words in a dictionary definition could be looked up just like the ones in a book. As far as I can tell, this feature has been removed. My old Kindle Keyboard still has it and it is a very useful feature. I cannot imagine the rationale for this step backwards.
That pop up window keeps shrinking too.

I also prefer to have the old tabs to switch dictionary <> translation <> wiki rather than the swiping thing which is slower. Such is progress.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 07:32 PM   #11
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
That pop up window keeps shrinking too.

I also prefer to have the old tabs to switch dictionary <> translation <> wiki rather than the swiping thing which is slower. Such is progress.
The swiping thing is less obvious too, if you don't know it's there. I can see the other window, and know I can swipe to it .... but I'll bet dollars to donuts that my 85 year old mother (technology phobic) can't cope with that. She doesn't even remember where to find "go to beginning", and has to be re-told a number of times.

Oh, and she has a hard time *getting* *to* the info at the top of the screen (where HOME button shows up). She keeps pressing firmly. I suspect she is pulling up the top-info and immediately repressing the HOME button. That was the only button she knew about. Oh well. She still likes her Voyage!
Old 01-15-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The swiping thing is less obvious too, if you don't know it's there. I can see the other window, and know I can swipe to it .... but I'll bet dollars to donuts that my 85 year old mother (technology phobic) can't cope with that. She doesn't even remember where to find "go to beginning", and has to be re-told a number of times.

Oh, and she has a hard time *getting* *to* the info at the top of the screen (where HOME button shows up). She keeps pressing firmly. I suspect she is pulling up the top-info and immediately repressing the HOME button. That was the only button she knew about. Oh well. She still likes her Voyage!
Aren't you glad you spent the extra money so hers would be identical to yours?
Old 01-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #13
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Oh yes.

Tags
dictionary, hack, pop-up windows, searchable