Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 02:58 PM   #541
Katja_hbg
Connoisseur
Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.Katja_hbg 's ceiling is 100% spider-free.

Device: Kobo Glo HD (landscape), Kobo Aura One
hi @davidfor,
in your help with my issue fetching annotation using kobo-utility, you mentioned this plugin. So I gave it a try. I did not finally decide as there are pros and cons on both.
The KU has still too many empty rows while this one has layout instead plain text.
With KU I have to do it one by one while this fetches in one go.
Lets see where I end with.

This text is to ask you to add something in the very first text. I searched whether and how to suppress the timestamp and found the answer in blog #48 page 4.
There is a section in blog #1 about modifying the timestamp. Perhaps you like to mention this hidden function ... To suppress write display=none in the timeout css field
Katja_hbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #542
loFreaQ
loFreaQ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hello!

I'm trying to use your plugin with my Paperwhite 1, but I have two problems that neither the latest beta resolves.

When I select the option to retrieve annotations from my kindle, the list of books installed on my Kindle appears correctly, but when I click the button to fetch the annotations, i get this error:
Code:
calibre, version 3.29.0
Errore recuperando le annotazioni: <p>Non sono in grado di recuperare annotazioni da Amazon Kindle.</p>

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 301, in fetch_device_annotations
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 1027, in process_selected_books
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.action", line 135, in add_annotations_to_calibre
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations_db", line 180, in annotations_to_html
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.annotations", line 170, in to_HTML
UnboundLocalError: local variable 'text_style' referenced before assignment
Also, if I try to modify the aspect by clicking the proper button in the plugin settings window, I get this error:
Code:
calibre, version 3.29.0
ERRORE: Eccezione non gestita: <b>KeyError</b>:u'Testo'

calibre 3.29 Portable embedded-python: True is64bit: False
Windows-10-10.0.17134-SP0 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
32bit process running on 64bit windows
('Windows', '10', '10.0.17134')
Python 2.7.12+
Windows: ('10', '10.0.17134', 'SP0', u'Multiprocessor Free')
Interface language: it
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM (6, 1, 0) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 20) && DOC Input (1, 0, 1) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11) && Annotations (1, 8, 2) && Generate Cover (1, 5, 21) && Save To Format (0, 0, 6)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.config", line 325, in configure_appearance
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.appearance", line 496, in __init__
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.appearance", line 293, in initialize
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.appearance", line 346, in populate_table
  File "calibre_plugins.annotations.appearance", line 353, in populate_table_row
KeyError: u'Testo'
Anything I can do to help you debug this?
Windows 10, Calibre 3.29 portable 64 bit.

Thanks!
loFreaQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:06 AM   #543
bopuc
bopuc began at the beginning.

Device: KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@GoNico: I don't consider the issue with annotation sharing or retrieving a issue with copyrights. It is more an issue of standards. To the best of my knowledge, there is no real standard for how annotations are marked in ebooks or stored for sharing. Each ereading device and application basically does its own thing. Some have ways to export to things like EverNote, for others, it is completely contained.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like something the big companies are interested in fixing, so I can't see anything is likely to change in the near future.
Not that this is the place to debate such things but just to point out (as someone who has experience with standards bodies, most recently the W3C's new Digital Publishing Working Group)… you are half way to understanding how this is fundamentally a Copyright issue.

Copyright law disallows copying of "too much text" (and a bunch of other stuff). Any move to make it easy for the (human) reader to manipulate too much text—nevermind to share or somehow republish!—takes the developer into dangerous waters. Bad enough for individual companies, from Amazon down, totally a no-go for any type of online, hosted services / platform, let alone a standardized, interoperable one. The legal, political will is not there, and not enough mass-market readers want or need annotation features, so… no one bothers. They do the bare minimum they can get away with, and sometimes we're lucky and they leave a raw text file lying around for plugins like this one to do something with them.

In other words Copyright law has a chilling effect on technology development and marketing for consumer manipulation of content. This has severe repercussions on human cultures, but that's another topic.

In any case, I am SO SO grateful to you do, @davidfor, for maintaining and advancing Annotations. Thank you.
bopuc is offline   Reply With Quote