Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Writing Goodreads reviews within Kindle reading app

This is an annoyance more than anything, so I don't expect a solution, but...

When finishing a book, on my Fire 10, I have the option of leaving a Goodreads review from the "Before You Go" page. I've disabled the option of posting an Amazon review. But even though I've disabled the Amazon option, I'm still expected to abide by bizarre rules that every review must have a Heading/Subject and that the review must be a minimum of 20 words.

I say bizarre because Goodreads has no such restrictions on posting reviews via the web or their app. If those are the requirements for posting Amazon reviews, then they need to be lifted when posting to Amazon has been disabled in the options. I like to immediately rate the book and add a few words about it. I might revisit the review later (with a browser or app) to amend and expound if I feel so moved.

The idea that I need to write a complete topic sentence and full paragraph in that tiny area using a touch screen keyboard with my fat fingers is ludicrous. I want to leave a rating and maybe a few words and move on.

Who best to complain to?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Try to submit a bug at goodreads feedback group. That should be the place, although I'm not sure they take into account the comments a lot but...
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
Try to submit a bug at goodreads feedback group. That should be the place, although I'm not sure they take into account the comments a lot but...
I'm thinking it's the Amazon interface (within the reading app), myself. I don't think the Goodreads API requires what the Amazon interface is demanding at all. I think they're just reusing the same routines/fields/rules for collecting Amazon reviews as they are for Goodreads reviews. Amazon's reviews are the ones that require an additional "headline."
Old 08-01-2018, 11:31 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I'm thinking it's the Amazon interface (within the reading app), myself. I don't think the Goodreads API requires what the Amazon interface is demanding at all. I think they're just reusing the same routines/fields/rules for collecting Amazon reviews as they are for Goodreads reviews. Amazon's reviews are the ones that require an additional "headline."
Yeah...I don't think it's Goodreads, because when I finish a book on my e-ink Kindle I always rate the book, and it's just a star rating...no review.

Seems like this is definitely a problem with the coding of the app.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I know it's annoying. Also terribly annoying is the "Before You Go..." screen coming up while I'm still in the middle of reading the acknowledgments. "I'm not 'going' anywhere yet! I'm still reading!"
Old 08-19-2018, 09:46 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

For those who want to give a book a star rating and move on, I've found out that if you long-press somewhere in the review area (after selecting your star rating), the "Before You Go" screen will disappear, but your star rating will be preserved on Goodreads. I've no idea (yet) if it posts to your Goodreads feed or not (I suspect not), but it's available as a Review that you can then edit later.

I only discovered the glitch when trying to copy/paste some content I'd added (for once) to a review via the "normal" android text-editing tools. So just know that anything you may have typed will be gone. Only the star rating will be retained.