Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #16
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Great comment.

I have a JetBook Color which shows the the possibilities of color E-Ink displays. Unfortunately the device's OS is not that great.

I like the washed out look. It feels a little bit like old color newspapers. So E-Ink ... go for it.
good for watching pulp magazines cover
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:01 AM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
Great comment.

I have a JetBook Color which shows the the possibilities of color E-Ink displays. Unfortunately the device's OS is not that great.

I like the washed out look. It feels a little bit like old color newspapers. So E-Ink ... go for it.
The problem is that to use color, you have to severely drop the resolution. That's not good. Also, the colors being washed out is not good. Color eInk just doesn't work.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:12 PM   #18
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is that to use color, you have to severely drop the resolution. That's not good. Also, the colors being washed out is not good. Color eInk just doesn't work.
The original colour eInk displays used filters, which did drop the resolution to half of that of the underlying monochrome display. This new technology doesn't use filters, but rather has multiple colours inside each pixel, so it likely has better resolution and colour saturation over the old. It does appear to be very much slower though, with lots of flashing when it's changing, so I doubt it would be used in an ereader in its current state.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:14 PM   #19
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Colour eink displays work just fine. The resolution problem that JSWolf refers to is just an implementation issue, not an eink limitation.

The problem of washed out, low contrast images is a fundamental limitation of any imaging system that relies on reflected light. My Kodak Darkroom Dataguide shows that the darkest black that you can get with a brilliant white semigloss paper surface has a reflection density of about 1.6. This is a contrast ratio of about 40 to one. A reflection density of 1 would be 10 to 1 and a density of 2 would be 100 to 1. I doubt that most current eink screens do much better than 10 to 1. This about the same as printing on cheap newsprint. Get the contrast up to 30 to 40 to 1 and the screen will look like a glossy magazine page.

All current printing processes, ink as well as photographic, use subtractive dyes (yellow, magenta and cyan). I don't think that is possible with eink. Instead, each pixel has to be made up of three additive primaries (red, green and blue). This will requires a much higher pixel density and will also reduce the maximum contrast possible.

There are both led and lcd screens that can be read in full sunlight. The active advertising displays and screens that now appear everywhere in store windows and bus shelters are proof of this. Of the two technologies, led (specifically oled) are the better choice, especially in anything portable. An lcd display draws constant power regardless of the image while an led display draws power only in proportion to the pixels lit and their intensity. Led displays will also have a much wider dynamic range. Lcd displays never have a true black.

I would love to have a colour eink screen, even with the poor contrast of the current displays. I would be even happier with an eink display, colour or monochrome, with a 30 to 1 contrast ratio. I suspect that an oled tablet that can be read in sunlight is more likely to appear first and I would be happy with that.
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 07:56 PM   #20
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
My Keyboard Kindle with full time 3G was a mighty leap forward. I still have it with its broken screen sitting over on the shelf, waiting for a good replacement. Yes I have gotten super tablets (Samsung, Fire, etc.) a small Chrome book, several laptops, etc. and used them from time to time, like I use "lit" files on my old big Trinitron Desktop, but none have exactly replaced that old Kindle which I used constantly and mostly exclusively for reading for a number of years. Now I use multiple devices with less satisfaction.

frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 01:05 PM   #21
Amiieey
Connoisseur
Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Amiieey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Likebook Mars, Kindle Fire HD 8
Why are people so negative about change? The technology now with color e-ink isn't so great, but like someone else said we have to start somewhere. Remember when computers took up a whole room? Now they just fit into the palm of your hand. You can't make something perfect right off the bat, just have to keep trying and see. Mistakes are made but help us with the future.
Amiieey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #22
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I started my programming career in the late 1960s programming a 1.5 million dollar computer that took up half the floor in a building that took up a full city block in downtown Houston. This was years before computers had screens.

My first ereading was done on an HP 95LX, an 11 ounce computer with a mono screen and no light that ran on 2 AA batteries and could run MS-DOS software. It had a speaker that could only buzz a bit. It's screen was very low resolution but I could read on it. There were no ebooks to buy and wouldn't be for years to come.

These days I read on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (and on a Kindle) that has probably 10,000 times the speed and probably more than a million times the capacity of that first computer and has an amazing screen as well. Reading on it is a snap. So is listening to books or watching videos.

The first one cost 1.5 million. The 95LX cost about $600. This Galaxy S5 was $200 brand new from Pure Talk a couple of months ago.

Yes things have gotten better.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #23
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I started my programming career in the late 1960s programming a 1.5 million dollar computer that took up half the floor in a building that took up a full city block in downtown Houston. This was years before computers had screens.

My first ereading was done on an HP 95LX, an 11 ounce computer with a mono screen and no light that ran on 2 AA batteries and could run MS-DOS software. It had a speaker that could only buzz a bit. It's screen was very low resolution but I could read on it. There were no ebooks to buy and wouldn't be for years to come.

These days I read on a Samsung Galaxy S5 (and on a Kindle) that has probably 10,000 times the speed and probably more than a million times the capacity of that first computer and has an amazing screen as well. Reading on it is a snap. So is listening to books or watching videos.

The first one cost 1.5 million. The 95LX cost about $600. This Galaxy S5 was $200 brand new from Pure Talk a couple of months ago.

Yes things have gotten better.

Barry
I remember the IBM 7000 series from my (very) youth. They used 3 of these types (maybe 7070 or 7090 with maybe a 4 in the last digit to calculate orbits. They used 3 machines so they could vote on the most optimal (or correct). ((Those were the days!!!)

Anyway, they used a lot of 7040's at Universities and when I went, I had a friend, a grad student, who worked in the computer "lab." His boss came to him one day and said that he was tired of conducting tours of the great new school computer and all there was was a big blue box to show which was kind of a disappointment to most. Nothing exciting for the general public.
Anyway he asked my friend to design a "fake" (that word again) interface that would impress. So my friend got a bunch of lights, nixie tubes and other cute type displays and installed them on a panel for a large control cabinet that he put right next to the IBM. He put in some circuitry to cut things on and off in pleasing and sometimes erratic patterns. It was very impressive.

That friend and one other from that time, an instructor, both later went to work for NSA. (no such agency)
Old 03-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #24
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
The IBM 7000's were a little before I got started. I first worked with Univacs and RCA computers. Then we got an IBM 158 a few years later. That was my first exposure to IBM computers.

Actually I did one short job while on loan to another department on an IBM 360 mod 60 and in school we learned with some model of IBM but those cards were sent out and we never actually saw that computer. It was off-site somewhere. They sent the cards to it at the end of the day and we got printouts of either the compile or, if that succeeded, the results along with a core dump if the program crashed.

The school had a 360 Mod 8 on site if I remember correctly but we only used that a little bit. It was a stove size computer with 8k RAM and a 10 meg hard drive.

Most of my early work was on Univacs and RCA. The RCA we had was the first computer to use virtual memory and our boss was a former RCA programmer and the designer of that OS. We learned a lot from him. He's probably the main reason I got into systems programming.

Barry

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:32 PM   #25
frahse
occasional author

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
The IBM 7000's were a little before I got started. I first worked with Univacs and RCA computers. Then we got an IBM 158 a few years later. That was my first exposure to IBM computers.

Actually I did one short job while on loan to another department on an IBM 360 mod 60 and in school we learned with some model of IBM but those cards were sent out and we never actually saw that computer. It was off-site somewhere. They sent the cards to it at the end of the day and we got printouts of either the compile or, if that succeeded, the results along with a core dump if the program crashed.

The school had a 360 Mod 8 on site if I remember correctly but we only used that a little bit. It was a stove size computer with 8k RAM and a 10 meg hard drive.

Most of my early work was on Univacs and RCA. The RCA we had was the first computer to use virtual memory and our boss was a former RCA programmer and the designer of that OS. We learned a lot from him. He's probably the main reason I got into systems programming.

Barry

Barry
Ah, I remember well the evenings and weekends spent in the card punch rooms reworking programs.

And woe be he (or her) who spilled their deck of cards on the floor. We had a lot of tricks to make it easier to put the decks back together but it was best to avoid the problem.