Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 10-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Nook Color Apps

The NC has an excellent display panel (7" IPS multi-touch capacitive 1024 x 600) coupled with a solid processor (TI OMAP3621 ARM Cortex A8 @ 800MHz) and running Android 2.1 with a promised upgrade to 2.2 early next year (which will bring flash support), so it's a very capable device.

It has no access to the Android Market and B&N plans on developing its own locked down app store (like Apple).

With that in mind, what apps do you want?

First on my list is:
  • Angry Birds
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
I think a locked down store is best, because Barnes & Noble can focus on quality apps which will insure a rich and enhanced reading experience, first and foremost.

My requested app would be to purchase comics. DC, Marvel, Archie comics, and a daily comic app would work.
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Richey79
mrkrgnao
Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richey79 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650, K3 Wireless, Galaxy S3, iPad 3.
-Rockplayer, a great media player that plays most video formats.
-Transzilla, an app that allows you to translate words to a myriad of different languages extremely quickly. It uses data from Google translate, but is of course much quicker than browsing the web to find your translation.
-Newsroom, or another really good RSS feed gatherer (I can't think of one as good as Newsroom).
-Dolphin HD internet browser. Slower than the stock Android browser, but more solid, with support for customisable gestures and plugins - such as storing bookmarks on SD card / adblocker etc.

Last edited by Richey79; 10-28-2010 at 10:03 PM.
Richey79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsCG1 View Post
I think a locked down store is best, because Barnes & Noble can focus on quality apps which will insure a rich and enhanced reading experience, first and foremost.

My requested app would be to purchase comics. DC, Marvel, Archie comics, and a daily comic app would work.
I agree if it has the Android marketplace then it really isn't just an ereader anymore especially when BN is using the Android OS to build an ereading centered system.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 10:04 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I would like google maps app and travel guide apps
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:00 PM   #6
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
a proper PDF reader as good as desktop's
a proper browser, firefox/opera ?
online multiplayer games - like chess, literati, winlose or draw etc..
RSS reader - so I can read daily comics, news, articles in color
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
Comics app. That would get me definitely get me to buy one.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #8
speedygonz
speedygonz began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Erm, Kindle for Android? Just kidding. But that's probably a key reason why B&N opted for a "curated" experience on the NOOKcolor.
speedygonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #9
zzzxtreme
zzzxtreme began at the beginning.

Device: nook
speedygonz that's right. never thought of that
zzzxtreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #10
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
ACV (Android Comic Viewer)
ESPN
Sportstap
Facebook
Netflix (when it comes out)
Youtube
Angry Birds
Robo Defense
Listen
TV.com
AP Mobile
iheartradio

Last edited by Noah98; 10-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
Here is a link to some of the apps that are already being developed:

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo...oper_press.pdf

Last edited by Noah98; 10-31-2010 at 10:58 PM.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Lots of word games would be cool:
  • Scrabble
  • Hangman
  • Jumble
  • NYT Crossword
  • word search
  • etc
and my inner child wants Candyland and Chutes & Ladders
Old 10-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah98 View Post
Here is a link to some of the apps that are already being developed"

http://img1.imagesbn.com/PImages/noo...oper_press.pdf
Thanks for the link.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #14
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
A document editor. They've got a crippled version of QuickOffice already. If they'd just enable all the functions, goshdarn it!

Then I would buy it, toot sweet.

Otherwise, no dice.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 02:57 PM   #15
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm frankly not looking for a lot of apps not related to books, reading, or writing. I think people who want lots of different apps should just spring for a general purpose tablet like an iPad or Galaxy Tab and not try to get the ipad expewrience on the cheap. I divide my wish list into 3 categories: must have, highly desirable and meh.

MUST HAVES

-dictionary app
-thesaurus app
-notetaking app
-Wikepedia app
-comics app
-magazine app
-audiobooks app

These would bear directly on the heart of the e-reader experience, which should be all about reading and books.

HIGHLY DESIRABLE

-PDF viewer
-Microsoft Office document viewer/editor
-Gmail app
-calendar app
-mapping app
-podcast app
-radio app

This is my list , as I would like the idea of using the reader as an electronic briefcase when I'm on the go and I like listening to radio and podcasts

MEH

-games
-video and camera apps
-flashlight apps, etc, etc.

I don't really need my Colornook to be my gameboy, video editor, camera, etc. I've got my laptop and smartphone to do all that.
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote