Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-12-2010, 01:01 PM   #1
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Samsung E101

What's up with Samsung? I mean, I saw an E60 (or is it E61? - anyhow, the one with the sliding screen) in a store - and it sure looks like a sturdy device, fast, with some intuitive menus, very light... in short, I like it.

But I did notice that the screen flashes very noticeably... certainly worse than the current generation of ebook readers...

Anyhow, that got me curious and so I googled a bit and found plenty of places talking about the Samsung E101. And... wow, that looks like what I want. IN short, an open-format, big screen device on which I can annotate... I mean, a touch-screen...

I am currently using a PRS900 and I just want the same thing, with a bigger screen. The Samsung seems to be it...

Now, the really weird thing. When I looked it up last night, I found the device being sold on one single place - Dell.UK (huh???). For Euro 269, if I remember correctly. Which is a lot, but I would have bought it anyhow. Yet, today, I can't find it anywhere - all the sites I see are dates January and talk about some unspecified future release date...

Any info?

And, most importantly, did I end up in a time-warp? Did my internet travel into the future last night? Dell.UK has no trace of the Samsung today.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
I remember that when they showed it at CES 2010 they told the price for the E101 was 699 $, and the price for the E60 was 399 $.
Then they saw our faces (and listened to our reaction), so they said: "okay, the price of the E60 is 299 $" (in april).

Since CES, they did not talk anymore about the E101. Now, E60 is sold in Europe at 329 € (oh yeah).

I bet that 1) E101 will never be sold; 2) E60 will never be sold in the USA; 3) either they will replace the E60 model with another cheaper one (the "Kindlesque" E65?) or 4) they will leave the ereader market

Last edited by Geppetto; 07-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert