Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-18-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
ninfem
ninfem began at the beginning.

Device: PRS- 505 Sony Reader
Angry PRS 505 won't turn off with Power button.

My PRS 505 wont turn off with the power switch anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Help!!

Rebecca
ninfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninfem View Post
My PRS 505 wont turn off with the power switch anymore. Anyone have any ideas?

Help!!

Rebecca
Check out this thread.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2010, 11:33 PM   #3
crucianbaby
crucianbaby began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I have the PRS-505, and from the home page I select Settings (0), Advanced Settings (5) , then Devise Shutdown (3) and press the bookmark button to turn my reader completely off. otherwise, if i press the power button it only puts it in hibernation mode and draining the battery
crucianbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:47 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
How are you charging your 505, Ninfem? I hit this problem before I got a dedicated mains charger. That fixed this and all other wee gitches. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 AM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Try the complete shutdown via menu like stated before. If this doesn't work, reset the reader. I think that should do. Another thing to get the reader started again could be to connect it to the pc. At least it rescans all directories after disconnect.

If everything fails, I think there's also a so called hard reset (I'm not sure though).

Good luck (but shouldn't be a big problem)
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 04:41 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
If you shut it down by menu and the switch will not turn it back on then it is the actual hardware switch. Mine went bad after warranty ($90 for Sony to fix). The good news is you don't really HAVE to turn off the reader, not even sleep mode, because it lasts so long on battery.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
If the other buttons are working, it's probably a bad switch that will require service.

If the other buttons aren't working, it may just be a dead battery. If there was something on the display when the battery died it will remain there, making it look like the Reader is "frozen", when in fact it's actually off. A recharge will fix that.

Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote