Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-04-2010, 01:33 AM   #1
Devz
Devz doesn't litterDevz doesn't litterDevz doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Issues with my PRS-505 and Calibre, Errors communicating

Hello there, I've been going through the FAQ on the Calibre site, and searching these forums, sadly with no luck.

So, to start. I've been using Calibre for a year or so now. I just recently built a new PC, and just downloaded the newest version of Calibre to use.

My first problem occurred when I did the startup wizard. The choices under Sony no longer lists the 505. Only the 500, Reader 6" and Touch, Daily, and Pocket. Wasn't sure what to pick, figured the 500 was the closest, so went with that.

Everything seemed to be working. It recognized my 505, and showed the internal storage and memory card I have inserted.

My problem starts now, where I'm trying to load books onto the 505.

I keep getting this type of message for every single book I try to load onto the device:

Quote:
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

(19, 'The media is write protected')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 56, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 243, in _upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\prs505\driver.py", line 132, in upload_books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\usbms\device.py", line 863, in create_upload_path
File "os.py", line 157, in makedirs
WindowsError: [Error 19] The media is write protected: 'K:\\Miller, John Jackson'
Now, I know the media isn't write protected, and it's a free PDF e-book. I've tried with other ebooks as well that have no DRM, and get the same message.

Any advice, or idea's as to what's going on/what I can do to fix this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Devz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devz View Post
My first problem occurred when I did the startup wizard. The choices under Sony no longer lists the 505. Only the 500, Reader 6" and Touch, Daily, and Pocket. Wasn't sure what to pick, figured the 500 was the closest, so went with that.
I don't think it matters but the original 500 and 505 communicated in very different ways so the proper choice would have been Sony 6 Inch not the 500.

I ran the wizard and tried the 500 setting and had no trouble with my 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devz View Post
Everything seemed to be working. It recognized my 505, and showed the internal storage and memory card I have inserted.

...~~~...

I keep getting this type of message for every single book I try to load onto the device:
If you are sending to a SD card the SD card could be write protected by the side lock on it. If you are sending to internal memory on the device, then I would suggest that you go to the advanced settings of your reader and Format Internal Memory. This will delete any books you have but not affect your reader's operating system.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Yeah, check that little slider on the SD card. It's amazing how easy it is to accidentally write-protect one of those things.

It might make some sense to put the 505 back on the list explicitly, though. Despite the fact that those fools at Sony discontinued that model, there's a thriving market in them on eBay and other aftermarket sources. People who don't want touch screens, don't want to squint at a 300, and can't fit a 900 in their pockets, are snapping up all the 505's they can find, and a lot of those used ones come without their Sony software CD, so their new owners are potential calibre users.

I really can't figure out what Sony was thinking. A lot of people just plain don't like touch screens. I know someone whose skin chemistry dissolves them. I read while I'm eating (if you had to eat my cooking, you'd want a distraction too!) and I eat a lot of sandwiches and other finger food. But the only non-touch-screen models Sony now sells are too big or too small. The friend with the corrosive skin just bought a 505 off of eBay because of that (I'd better check to see if he picked the right install option). What kind of company (other than Microsoft, of course: XP vs. Vista) discontinues the product their customers REALLY want to buy and leaves them with alternatives they don't really want?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote