Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2017, 07:42 AM   #1
Morg
Morg began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch N905C
Open Aura Edition 2 case?

Hi,

after my old Touch broke and I couldn't get a replacement screen, I got the new Aura Edition 2.

For purposes of saving a card image and eventually replacing the internal SD card with a bigger one (all of which is extensively described in this forum ), I'd like to open the case of the reader.

As it is new (christmas... ) and still in warranty, I would be willing to try and open it, but not not try around and find how to do it...

Does anyone know how to open the Edition 2? Additionally, are there any images / videos?

Couldn't find anything on opening this reader on the forum or google at all...

Regards
Sebastian
Morg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before you open the Aura Edition 2, make sure it does have an SD card inside. The Aura One does not and it's possible the AE2 might not.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Someone has already reported that the Aura Edition 2 has an internal SD card. And they supplied an image to me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
has it been opened?
markyisri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 06:56 PM   #5
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
delete post
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
markyisri
Connoisseur
markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markyisri ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
delete post
What ?? I'm waiting on this to know if I can hack mine.

Don't delete this, please.
Old 01-13-2017, 07:11 AM   #7
markyisri
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marek Gibek (email)
In this case it probably is too risky to boot Android. Aura E2 has no removable internal SD card, right? To install Android you need to modify boot loader and if you cannot revert your changes you can easily brick the device. Unless you know how to re-flash it with JTAG which may require to attach wires to pins on a mainboard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Someone has already reported that the Aura Edition 2 has an internal SD card. And they supplied an image to me.

Maybe it does have an internal SD card.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
Mr. Painter
Mr. Painter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura E2
Quote:
Hello, could you supply us with the image?
Mr. Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 04:22 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Painter View Post
Hello, could you supply us with the image?
I can send you what I have when you need it. As you don't have the device and are not convinced what I have would be useful, it would be wasting my time to send it.
Old 01-16-2017, 01:18 PM   #10
J_K
Enthusiast
J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.J_K is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: H2O 2, Aura 2, Clara HD, Touch
I have an Aura Edition 2.

I would say opening the case looks like it would be fairly standard. The back panel is a single piece, like with other Kobos such as the Touch or Glo. It doesn't look quite as easy to open as the Touch.

It's clearly not meant to be opened by the user so you would need a pry tool or similar. There's enough of a gap at the top and bottom to get a pry tool in. Have a look at YouTube videos for opening the Glo, Glo HD or Touch.

If you are not familiar using a pry tool, you will obviously risk damaging the back cover trying to take it off.
J_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Mr. Painter

Quote:
I can send you what I have when you need it. As you don't have the device and are not convinced what I have would be useful, it would be wasting my time to send it.
I am getting mine very shortly

Last edited by Mr. Painter; 01-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:36 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Painter View Post
I am getting mine very shortly
Great. When you get the device, open it and see the card, please post. And then it might be reasonable to ask about the image. But, as you have your own device and card, it would be sensible for you to make an image for yourself.
Old 01-20-2017, 08:08 AM   #13
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by markyisri View Post
What ?? I'm waiting on this to know if I can hack mine.

Don't delete this, please.
I mean delete that single post. Not the whole thread.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
Mr. Painter

Quote:
Great. When you get the device, open it and see the card, please post. And then it might be reasonable to ask about the image. But, as you have your own device and card, it would be sensible for you to make an image for yourself.
Oh, you meant that kind of Image? I can copy the existing bootloader and load it into another card however I meant a picture of the device containing an SD card, As for I was not well read on E-readers and after I ordered the unit, I thought I'd do more reserch into my unit.

I found out that some Kobo ereaders have sd cards inside them, I am not sure if my device has SD card or the memory is soldered into the device itself. Since most posts when the device I ordered were either before release or didn't contain any definitive answer about SD card But if you have the device Kobo Aura E2 and know that it contains, I'd have to believe you because you have no reason to deceive me

Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Old 05-04-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
enukyp
enukyp began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura edition 2
Hi guys,

I just opened mu Kobo Aura Edition 2 and there is an SD card indeed!

picture: https://ibb.co/n75imQ

Now, the purpose of me opening it, was that my screen froze at Restarting after Update. The device seems bricked.

Can anyone of you can make an Image and share it please???

Opening is quite easy actually, just like the videos on YouTube for other models...

Last edited by enukyp; 05-04-2017 at 06:16 PM.
enukyp is offline   Reply With Quote