Notices

Old 11-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #1
hata
hata began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Angry Kindle Paperwhite does not see new MOBI files

Hello,

I have this issue since a few days:

My Kindle Paperwhite sees all previous MOBI files which I copied to the device.
It also sees new PDF files which I copy now.

But new MOBI files it doesn't see. They appear neither in the Docs or Books or All Items.
I tried MOBI files from 3 different sources, with no result. Any ideas?
hata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 12:29 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Reboot the Kindle. That should fix it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-14-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
hata

No it didn't. I already tried that, now I restarted again. Same thing.
The device can detect adding new PDF, but it cannot detect any new MOBI.
Old 11-14-2016, 03:07 PM   #4
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I wonder if you have the selection set to Books instead of All Items. I think the things you sideload are considered to be Docs and not Books by the Kindle so you have to have the middle selection box set to All Items to see them.

I don't have my Kindle handy at the moment to check this and I'm not sure I'm right but it's worth taking a look at it.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2016, 03:18 PM   #5
hata

I have tried all of the above, believe me. Nothing happened.

I might try using Calibre to copy files (until now I simply copied to the Kindle drive and used to work fine).

I also did a software update but nothing changed.

For some reason, the device indexes new PDFs, but not new MOBIs, although the old ones show up just fine.

Btw, I am always on airplane mode because I don't want to use WiFi on this device. This is why I've always copied books manually.
Advert
Old 11-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sometimes strange things happen on the Kindles if they never communicate back to Amazon. You might want to try plugging it in, turning on wifi, and letting it sit overnight.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #7
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
And you did of course copy the .mobi files into the Documents folder of the kindle, didn't you? I thought you had. Just checking!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM   #8
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Only things I can think of

1/ Open the Mobi in calibre to make sure there is nothing wrong with it. Better yet, convert it to azw3, and send that to the kindle

2/ make sure the date time in your kindle is correct. You say PDF shows up so this is unlikely to be the problem
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 05:53 PM   #9
kanjo
kanjo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2015
Hello everyone,

something similar is happening to my kindle pw3.

It doesn't recognize new documents (.mobi or .pdf) but i can see them in the koreader file manager. I can force the kindle to recognize them if I restart it (once to see the new documents, twice to get the screensaver hack working again).

It started a couple of days ago (wifi on) and only with documents transferred through USB (file manager or calibre), if i send them to my kindle email or download them from the browser, they are showed immediately.

any ideas how to fix this or if I’m doing something wrong?
kanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM   #10
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
It could be an indexing problem https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254398
If your device is jailbroken, and usbnet is installed, you may want to peek at /var/log/messages (or was it /var/log/syslog?)
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:52 AM   #11
hata

Thanks for the link. Actually it was very useful to understand what was happening.

Something causes the kindle indexer to crash (like a corrupt file, or an interrupted file transfer possibly). Unfortunately, "the kindle does not give any diagnostic info when the indexer crashes."

This is why I copied all my files to the hard disk, and reset the device to factory settings. Now it works fine, as before.