Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-28-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
rozie123
Enthusiast
rozie123 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Reader Frozen

I downloaded and converted a book in Micrsoft Reader format to LRF using LIBPRS500. I had no problem with the conversion and everything seemed to be fine. I could view the book in the Sony Library, but when I attempted to view it in the reader, the reader froze!

I waited a long time and finally I attempted to reset. It took a very, very long time! It finally reset and began the startup, which also took a very, very long time! Finally, it reset and when I attempted to view the book again it froze! Again!

Can the problem be the book itself? What if I put the book on a SD Card or a Memory Card? Will this make a difference? I don't want to sound "stupid" but I really am very new to this technology.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Should I just convert the book over again?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
rozie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Hmm, you could try remaking it. It's strange, especially if it worked on the desktop. I've bought & converted 52 books since I got my Reader without problems. Is this a regular fiction book? Is there anything special/unusual about the book that could be causing problems?

You might want to dig through this thread & see if anyone else has had similar issues...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11618
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
rozie123
Enthusiast

Yes, it's a regular fiction book. Nothing unusual, not especially large. If it had only happened once, I might think it was an anomaly, but it happened several times! And, even when I was able to view the book in the reader, when I attempted to zoom, the reader again began to freeze. I would continue to get the symbol that it was loading or working, but it would eventually just stop turning.

I also moved all the items from the Reader to the Library and only have a few items on the Reader itself. I thought maybe that was the problem. But no such luck.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Try converting it to LRF then exporting it from libprs500, then using the Sony eBook Library software to transfer that to the Reader?
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
rozie123
Enthusiast

Well, the problem is solved, sort of. I noticed that I had the older version of libprs500, so I uninstalled, re-installed the latest version and re-converted the book. I exported it to the reader. I just opened the reader, selected the book and, although it took a very long time to load (several minutes), once it loaded, I was able to navigate through it rather quickly.

Just a quirk, I guess.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.
Advert
Old 12-29-2007, 11:06 AM   #6
rozie123
Enthusiast

Quick update: The next time I opened the book, it was much quicker to load and navigation was fine.

Maybe the first time it opens and loads it takes longer. Who knows?
Old 12-29-2007, 12:09 PM   #7
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rozie123 View Post
Quick update: The next time I opened the book, it was much quicker to load and navigation was fine.

Maybe the first time it opens and loads it takes longer. Who knows?
the first time it loads it must paginate the entire database to figure out how many pages there are and where the boundaries are. When you use a connect book this is pre-done so there is no delay.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
the first time it loads it must paginate the entire database to figure out how many pages there are and where the boundaries are. When you use a connect book this is pre-done so there is no delay.

Dale
Note, however, that if you load the book onto the Reader via "Connect" this pagination is done in advance by "Connect".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 06:05 PM   #9
rozie123
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone. Yes, it does seem better. I've converted a few more lit books and we'll see if it behaves the same way. But at least now I know.

Thanks.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've never had a problem with a book converted with lit2lrf. But then, I do keep on top of new versions.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:32 PM   #11
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Note, however, that if you load the book onto the Reader via "Connect" this pagination is done in advance by "Connect".
Isn't that what I said?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote