Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Calibre

I typically like to let Amazon keep my book purchases on their server by deleting them from my kindle, I am wondering what are the advantages to downloading the books to my PC and using Calibre to manage the library. I can understand that hen I do the job this way I have a lot more control over the organization of the library and i can organize it into a logical fashion. However I do not see the point in managing my library locally if Amazon is willing to host my library for me. Other than the reason I stated above why to you manage your library locally? Of course I come from an era where if you had a gigabyte of hard drive space you were ecstatic and windows probably took up 90% of that so I kept most of my data on floppy disks. These days with two terabyte drives costing under $100 its not necessary to hog drive space like I am used to but I still seem to be thinking by the old model.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Never, EVER, assume that any on-line bookstore is going to keep your files safe for you. Your files are only under your control when they are safely stored on your storage media (and appropriately backed up, of course).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 10:42 AM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I typically like to let Amazon keep my book purchases on their server by deleting them from my kindle, I am wondering what are the advantages to downloading the books to my PC and using Calibre to manage the library. I can understand that hen I do the job this way I have a lot more control over the organization of the library and i can organize it into a logical fashion. However I do not see the point in managing my library locally if Amazon is willing to host my library for me. Other than the reason I stated above why to you manage your library locally? Of course I come from an era where if you had a gigabyte of hard drive space you were ecstatic and windows probably took up 90% of that so I kept most of my data on floppy disks. These days with two terabyte drives costing under $100 its not necessary to hog drive space like I am used to but I still seem to be thinking by the old model.
Calibre has tonnes of functionality beyond providing a way to keep your books, and I find it invaluable. But for me the single most important value is that I control it. I have a full backup of all my Kindle books, including those I didn't buy from Amazon, and I can easily manage my collections, update metadata, remove DRM, etc.

If you ONLY buy books from Amazon, never remove DRM, never re-read books, and only have a few books on your current To Be Read list, then Calibre isn't necessary. But I'd still use it.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:43 AM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Never, EVER, assume that any on-line bookstore is going to keep your files safe for you. Your files are only under your control when they are safely stored on your storage media (and appropriately backed up, of course).
Exactly.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 03:06 PM   #6
Bricorn
Addict
Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bricorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DXG
Agreed, I bought it, I want it under my control.
Bricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:52 AM   #7
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
Also, I have noticed that a lot of the free books which I bought on Amazon are no longer listed on my archives, when I asked Amazon about it they stated because the publisher removed them from the free status, unless I wanted to buy them for the current price, they were no longer available.
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 12:13 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
Also, I have noticed that a lot of the free books which I bought on Amazon are no longer listed on my archives, when I asked Amazon about it they stated because the publisher removed them from the free status, unless I wanted to buy them for the current price, they were no longer available.
That makes no sense. I have tons of books in my Archive that were free (as do many other users), and are no longer. Unless the book was illegal to sell, it should still be in your Archives.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
ditto...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
That makes no sense. I have tons of books in my Archive that were free (as do many other users), and are no longer. Unless the book was illegal to sell, it should still be in your Archives.
well, maybe not 'tons'
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:24 PM   #10
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynaevelan View Post
They should be in your archive on your Kindle, or, if it's downloaded onto the Kindle, it will not be on the archive (it won't appear in both places at once). It is possible that it is no longer available for download from your Amazon Manage Your Kindle page. I've come across this phenomenon a few times.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
you shouldn't be missing that many books. There have been a few cases were people have caught Amazon removing titles from their archives for various reasons, but it is hardly a common practice.

If they sold you a book at $0, it should still be in your archives.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote