Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #1
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650, BlackBerry PlayBook
Anyone else have both Kobo and Literati?

This past Christmas, I was given one of each.

I invariably use my Kobo more- e-ink is just so much nicer to look at- but the Literati gets pretty steady use at bedtime, as the bf likes lights out right away but I like to read a bit then doze off. The backlit "night reading" mode means I can do that without disturbing him.

Since both readers are tied to my Kobo account, I can "update library" on my Kobo reader, then do the same on my Literati, and pick up where I left off.

Now, here's where the weird part comes in.
When I finish a book on either reader, next time I sync the Literati it shows in the "I'm Reading" menu as being 1% read. They won't close. I've even tried paging through to the end on the Literati (and it doesn't have the GOTO feature that was recently added to my Kobo, so it's a pain in the buttocks) and "finishing" the book, but it just comes back with 1% read every time i sync.

Now I'm also finding that the book I purchased yesterday, while it downloaded to the Literati without any trouble, didn't transfer the bookmarks. I had to skip chapters and then page through to get to my spot. When I updated both readers again, it didn't move them in my Kobo to pick up where I'd left off, either.

Has anyone else got both these readers, or has anyone else discovered bookmark communication problems between the Kobo reader and any of the smartphone apps?

<begin small rant>
(And when is the mythical firmware upgrade for my Literati that'll actually allow it to sync with the desktop gonna happen? I've been syncing with wifi since December, and kind of sick of it. I think Kobo support has completely forgotten about people who bought Kobo-powered readers other than the Kobo-branded reader itself.)
</end rant>
coinín is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
this thread may be able to help you

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=literati

i haven't read through it but in the first post they mention a firmware update.
good luck.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
digiSara
Groupie
digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.digiSara actually read the MS Office License Agreement.

Device: Kobo wifi
The post in this thread by Corby which explains what the servers are doing when they sync might help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125755, specifically this bit

Quote:
Additionally, there is a "finished" and a "closed" status on books, which is stored locally, but that status is not synced. When you finish a book on a device, it will reset the bookmark to the first page. So if you sync to a new device, that book will end up being new and unread. This is something we are working on.
digiSara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
coinín
dust bunny
coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.coinín ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for trying, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiSara View Post
The post in this thread by Corby which explains what the servers are doing when they sync might help:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125755, specifically this bit
Goddamn. So really, this bit just ain't going away until Kobo fixes the minor glitch.
It's not the worst thing, but I do wish stuff I finished would stay finished, you know? You'd think that paging through to the end of the book so that it had "finished" status in both readers would work, but it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
this thread may be able to help you

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=literati

i haven't read through it but in the first post they mention a firmware update.
good luck.
Read through the whole thing, and checked the Literatireader.com site for updates as well. Turns out, I have the most recent firmware... which still doesn't address the not syncing with the desktop problem. Looks like I'm still waiting for Kobo to write an update... which might never happen. I guess I just need to get over my irritation and accept that this reader is only sync-able via wifi for the duration of its natural life.

Sure would have been nice to be able to use the Kobo desktop for it the way you're supposed to be able to, though.

Bottom line- deal with it. Both problems are likely stayin' for some time, possibly permanently, as Kobo moves pretty damned slowly on firmware updates for its own branded reader, let alone other readers.
Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 PM   #5
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
have you tried using adobe digital editions to get your books from kobo and to sync with that, or to get your books from kobo using ade then loading them on using calibre?
maybe that could work?
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
ADE books do not sync--only kepub books do.

I don't by the way think Kobo updates software particularly slowly. The last update to Kobo-1 took forever because they worked very hard to make the reader do things they really had to squeeze into less than optimal hardware--to give Kobo-1 users the best they could do in order to match many of the features the WiFi one had at release.

The WiFi has been out about six months and had two biggish updates. They could have left it alone and issued Kobo-3 later instead. I have always felt that you pay for the reader with the features it has at purchase--anything other than bug fixes after that is a bonus. You want different/better features, then buy the tech toy that has them. True for phones, computers, and so much more...

Last edited by taming; 03-30-2011 at 08:37 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 AM   #7
coinín
dust bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
ADE books do not sync--only kepub books do.

I don't by the way think Kobo updates software particularly slowly. The last update to Kobo-1 took forever because they worked very hard to make the reader do things they really had to squeeze into less than optimal hardware--to give Kobo-1 users the best they could do in order to match many of the features the WiFi one had at release.

The WiFi has been out about six months and had two biggish updates. They could have left it alone and issued Kobo-3 later instead. I have always felt that you pay for the reader with the features it has at purchase--anything other than bug fixes after that is a bonus. You want different/better features, then buy the tech toy that has them. True for phones, computers, and so much more...
Yes and no.
I've got no problem with accepting the limitations of a device as it it presented, but...

The Literati is still being advertised as having features that it doesn't, and having desktop software to sync with is a pretty basic feature.
If the good folks at Kobo want readers to continue to buy devices that tie to their store, they ought to be ensuring that those basic functions are indeed functional.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:40 AM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does your Literati sync over WiFi? I understand that Literati users are offered the new update in the same "some get it now some get it later" way that the Kobo WiFi users are getting it. Do you have a dedicated desktop application or do you use the general Kobo one which you can download (1.9 version) from the Kobo website?
Old 03-31-2011, 07:51 AM   #9
coinín
dust bunny

Quote:
Does your Literati sync over WiFi? I understand that Literati users are offered the new update in the same "some get it now some get it later" way that the Kobo WiFi users are getting it. Do you have a dedicated desktop application or do you use the general Kobo one which you can download (1.9 version) from the Kobo website?
It's supposed to sync both with desktop and wifi, but has only so far been coaxed into syncing with wifi. It uses the same Kobo desktop that Kobo reader does- the one downloaded from the website. I do have the most recent (1.9) from the site; I downloaded it and installed it hoping that it would have addressed the Literati problem, but no such luck.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:39 AM   #10
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Once you've finished a book, why not just delete it from the reader? I do wish there were a simple way to mark a book as "Unread" so it goes back to the library instead of having so many books showing as opened, but once I've read a book, I delete it. (Of course I've got way too many books anyway, but that's a personal problem...)

I know that doesn't address the issue of things not working the way they're supposed to, but it's how I make it work for me.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 06:43 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Quote:
Originally Posted by coinín View Post
It's supposed to sync both with desktop and wifi, but has only so far been coaxed into syncing with wifi. It uses the same Kobo desktop that Kobo reader does- the one downloaded from the website. I do have the most recent (1.9) from the site; I downloaded it and installed it hoping that it would have addressed the Literati problem, but no such luck.
I wonder if this is a Kobo problem, or a Literati problem? I have no idea what Kobo does other than produce the updates in terms of making sure that they work on devices like Literati.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
coinín
dust bunny

Quote:
I wonder if this is a Kobo problem, or a Literati problem? I have no idea what Kobo does other than produce the updates in terms of making sure that they work on devices like Literati.
All the programming and OS on the Literati is by Kobo. The hardware is made by some company I can't offhand remember the name of, and branded to The Sharper Image... but the "brains" of the device (so to speak) are all of Kobo breeding.
The manual says contact Literati Reader support for hardware problems, Kobo for software problems.

Digging through the help pages on Kobo's site indicates that the non-syncing issue is known, and should be fixed with future firmware... I guess I'd call it a Kobo for Literati problem. The desktop sees that the reader's there, they just don't wanna talk to each other.

I've had the damn thing for four months now, and that's a pretty long time to not have a key basic feature. You can see why I'd be a little annoyed.

Tags
kobo, literati, pain-in-the-buttocks, sync, wifi