Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-11-2007, 01:58 AM   #1
mdt1007
mdt1007 began at the beginning.

CONNECT E-book store DOWN?

I recently reformatted my computer for a new clean install of Windows XP and then Sony believes my machine to be a different one, thus prompting me to re"activate" it. Only thing is, it hangs at activation for hours at a time. After several fed up phone calls to Sony customer support, no surprise, they reassure me that it's been happening to many people and to advise me to look at my computer to see if there is anything wrong in my end. I can't even re-download all the books I have purchased. Damit, can't their programmers do anything remotely correct?
mdt1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 12:55 PM   #2
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdt1007
Damit, can't their programmers do anything remotely correct?
Not that I've noticed so far!

I haven't connected to the eStore for a few days, so don't know if it's working. Does everything else on your computer work OK? Have you tried downloading anything from any other site just to check?
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2007, 01:10 PM   #3
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
For what it's worth, just connected and went to the eStore and everything seems to be working OK for me. I'm running WinXP SP2 also.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 07:19 PM   #4
mdt1007

the ebook store works fine. I just can't activate either my computer or my reader. And can't re-download the books I have purchased. I guess Sony made sure one thing worked - the Shopping Cart.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Your old login based on your email address and password should work fine. You then add the reformatted PC as a new device and install the Reader. Since the Reader is already ctivated to that account you will have a total of three (3) devices out of seven (7) maximum devices connected. Then Sony support can deactivate the old PC profile. All of your purchased content should be there available for download again. This is how it is supposed to work. Your mileage may vary.

I have the CONECT software loaded on two (2) machines with one (1) Reader between both so I can update the Reader at home and work. I am thinking of adding a third (3rd) PC, my laptop, for altering content while I am traveling. I have never had a bit of a problem with the CONNECT software.

Having said this I now expect it to crash in 5 ... 4 ... 3 ... 2 ....
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 PM   #6
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
... seven (7) maximum devices ....
It's six (6) maximum devices, RWood.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I always had the notion that it was a PC and 6 additional devices. Thanks for the correction.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
mdt1007

It says Adding PC to your CONNECT account.

This may take several moments - please be patient! The process is complete when the Status icon in the left hand navigation panel stops spinning.

only thing is:

I left it on overnight for about eight hours and in the morning it still was spinning, with the process bar at the same spot as before. I've even turned off my firewall and disabled all the but the basic processes for Sony's benefit. (Who knows what other rootkits they may be installing in my system!) My internet works fine, it just seems Sony put in a little too much effort in the glossy animation department than functionality. Have not been able to read my purchased books for a good few weeks.

<sigh> The technology is amazing. Due to corporate greed, I just don't believe human society has advanced to the point where we can fully appreciate and enjoy it, sans the bickerings over flaky digital rights.

Love the product, not the company philosophy!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm. You might want to try re-installing the ConnSoft, that may make a difference.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:27 AM   #10
mdt1007

been there...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Nuts. Well That leaves me fresh out of suggestions.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:42 AM   #12
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
How about buying your books elsewhere?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 12:20 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist

But he wants access to the ones he's already bought.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:27 AM   #14
mdt1007

I have COMPLETELY lost faith in Sony. Next is humanity.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:57 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Not Sony... DRM... that's the culprit. We've known it for some time now.

You can't give up on humanity! You have us don't you ? How can you resist this smile ?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote