Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-15-2010, 01:14 AM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Should I Be Worried?

I was reading the book Fatal System Error today and it occurred to me that I haven't seen an antivirus or firewall App for the iPad. I originally thought of the iPad as a book reader and with iBook and Marvel it does that job very well, but I'm finding that I use Safari almost as much as the reader programs so I have to wonder how secure it is.

Of course, the iPad is new but it doesn't seem to take hackers very long to crack hardware, operating systems and/or software. Should I be worried? Apple doesn't say anything (nothing I could find anyway) on their site about iPad security. What do the rest of you think? Will there be security apps coming soon? Or do we need them?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I wouldn't. Apple computers don't get targeted much compared to PCs when it comes to viruses and spyware etc. There's some, but much less than in the PC world. And I've not heard of viruses on the iPhone, iPod touch etc and the iPad uses the same OS.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:10 AM   #3
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I wouldn't. Apple computers don't get targeted much compared to PCs when it comes to viruses and spyware etc. There's some, but much less than in the PC world. And I've not heard of viruses on the iPhone, iPod touch etc and the iPad uses the same OS.
You are serious about that?

There were always people who try to hack the iPhone and there will be enough trieing with the iPad. Just a few days ago there were news about a hack where it would be possible to hack an iPhone with up to date firmware by executing hackers code when you visit prepared websites by safari. They where able to read out the SMS databse but it would also be possible to execute hacker tools to do much serious thing to the iPhone user and his data.

Good news is it was a contest and from what i heard they send the details to apple to fix the door but to believe the iPhone or the iPad are 100% save to attackers would be a little bit naiv i think

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5836
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 04:19 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only viruses to affect the iPhone have been those for "jailbroken" devices, where the user left the admin password at its default setting (which is a pretty silly thing to do on any system).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #5
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ and if I recall correctly, that was only if they had downloaded a certain app. Some sort of console type app.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
if they installed and enabled ssh on their jailbroken iphone. which most people don't. if you don't jailbreak your device you have even less to worry about.

there are no viruses for the iphone, touch or ipad. one of the advantages of a closed design and apple's "sandbox" model. so nothing to worry about at this time. anyone who tries to sell you a security application is pretty much selling you digital snake oil.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
If it's WiFi, sure the main computer will 'catch it'?
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I was reading the book Fatal System Error today and it occurred to me that I haven't seen an antivirus or firewall App for the iPad. I originally thought of the iPad as a book reader and with iBook and Marvel it does that job very well, but I'm finding that I use Safari almost as much as the reader programs so I have to wonder how secure it is.

Of course, the iPad is new but it doesn't seem to take hackers very long to crack hardware, operating systems and/or software. Should I be worried? Apple doesn't say anything (nothing I could find anyway) on their site about iPad security. What do the rest of you think? Will there be security apps coming soon? Or do we need them?
You don't need them. Like the iPhone, you cannot download anything beyond images from Safari on the iPad. The only iPhones that have had security issues are ones that have been hacked/jailbroken.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Good news is it was a contest and from what i heard they send the details to apple to fix the door but to believe the iPhone or the iPad are 100% save to attackers would be a little bit naiv i think

http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=5836
I never said it was 100% immune. Just that I wouldn't worry about it as it's very unlikely and there's not (and probably never will be) any anti virus apps in the app store anyway so there's nothing one can do anyway beyond staying away from sketch websites etc.

But as others pointed out, it's a closed system so there's much less risk than on a full computer as you can't download things on the internet etc., and mainly a risk to people who jailbreak them and run other types of software etc. that have more holes.
Old 04-15-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Now I understand the VPN setting in iMail

This discussion was very helpful to me. Thanks everyone.

I'm new to Apple products. Of course I've heard the claims that Apple products are immune to malware but I also keep hearing conflicting information. This article in PC World, a US based magazine, suggests using a VPN even with an iPod Touch/iPhone when sending mail in from a public Wifi connection.

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente..._spx_h_cbintro

If intercepting my messages is the only worry (I don't have a VPN) then I seemingly don't have any worries. I will certainly avoid commercial transactions--especially banking--from a coffee shop, although I imagine connections to the iTunes store are safe.

Thanks again. This thread has been a big relief.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

if you're using any of the major email services, like gmail or yahoo. you can use an https connection if you're using the web browser. if you set it up using the built in mail application, it already uses an encrypted SSL tunnel. so you don't need a VPN. all that really does is keep someone from reading your emails as you're sending & receiving.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:15 PM   #12
jharker
Developer
jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jharker could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: iRex iLiad v1, Blackberry Tour, Kindle DX, iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
if you're using any of the major email services, like gmail or yahoo. you can use an https connection if you're using the web browser. if you set it up using the built in mail application, it already uses an encrypted SSL tunnel. so you don't need a VPN. all that really does is keep someone from reading your emails as you're sending & receiving.
Actually, Google recently switched gmail to use https by default. So if you use gmail, you shouldn't even have to worry about that.

Also, if your wireless network is encryped using WPA, then you are probably safe from most (casual) eavesdroppers anyway.

Otherwise I'll just echo what everyone else said: the iPad is an incredibly secure environment. The chances of you getting a virus or malware under any circumstances are essentially zero. The only way to increase the risk is to jailbreak it. If you don't do that, you'll be fine.
jharker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 12:58 AM   #13
jibril
Connoisseur
jibril is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
I wouldn't. Apple computers don't get targeted much compared to PCs when it comes to viruses and spyware etc.
I wouldn't worry either, but this specific claim is bunk -- there were viruses for pre-OS X computers when they had less than 1% marketshare. Passed around on floppies no less.

It's more impressive to have the first successful widespread virus on OS X than yet another one on Windows, for geeks at least.

iPhone/iPad/OS X are all unix based. Secure but not perfect.

Most hacks I heard of for OS X required physical access to the computer. With that in mind, I hope Apple will have profiles on some update, it would be nice to pass the iPad around the family without each having access to the same data (emails specifically).

Lack of profiles on a phone is fine, it's a very individual device, on an iPad, not so much.
jibril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

It's not bunk. I said they don't get targeted much compared to PCs. Not that they don't get targeted at all.

There are virus and malware for Macs for sure, especially pre OS X. They are/were just much less prevalent than on PCs.

I also don't see a need for profiles on an iPad. Still a pretty individual device. Just like laptops--how many people share a laptop? You hear of family PCs etc., not so much Laptops etc. and I don't see the iPad being shared that much either.

Even if it is, I don't see the need for profiles unless you're anal and want everyone to have their own desktop, certain people only have access to certain apps etc. I use my girlfriends iPad some and have seen no need to have our own profiles etc.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:23 AM   #15
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
mwhahahaha...I laugh in the face of your puny sandbox!

It's absolutely false that the iPhone/iPad is totally secure. Nothing is secure that can access the internet, or that another person can easily access. Heck, your biggest risk is probably a coworker with a grudge! (If this is a concern, you should turn on passcode lock and encrypt your device. Probably not sufficient against a really determined person, but an adequate deterrent for the great unwashed.)

It's relatively easy to crack a browser open by passing it a malformed image or other item for manipulation/rendering.

In addition, any application that creates its own server or manipulates data on the web provides an additional vector of attack for potential hackers, while the app is running anyway.

Perhaps some of you remember the SMS virus that plagued the iPhone not too long ago? This virus worked on all iphones, not just jailbroken ones, by sending a malformed text message to all your contacts.

Doesn't matter though, because....
Firewalls won't protect you from these attacks anyway. An antivirus checker MIGHT, but the odds are very slim that it would catch it before it did serious harm or passed itself to the next recipient.

Don't let yourself get all knotted up over security. NOTHING is secure. One of my favorite profs used to say that encasing a computer in a block of concrete and dropping it down the Mariana trench wouldn't make it secure!

It is important to note that Apple is, for the most part, doing its due diligence on security for these products. You should expect that the average person will have zero problems with viruses.

If you are doing sensitive things for your work on your iPad, I would consult your company security policy for what they consider adequate protection on a device like this.

But the end of the story is that most users will likely find the iPhone/iPad considerably more resistant to tampering than their other computing devices. Just remember to "never say never". False confidence is never a good thing.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote