Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #1
Trel
Connoisseur
Trel began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 3
A few problems with my nook. (help)

Main one which could alievate most of the others, why is there no "Go to page" option. If I could just go to page so much of my other gripes wouldn't matter.

Second problem is, on my ebook files, converted from plain text to epub, go to cover does nothing. Is there any way to fix this (I use calibre).

Third problem, it's flakey on whether or not the nook will remember my page. Is there reason for this/a fix?

Last problem, is there any way to reset the furthest read point? If I'm reading a book a second time, it's kind of useless since it will always be the end of the book, no?
Trel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 AM   #2
stangri
Addict
stangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplanestangri makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: nook
Third problem -- I'm with you on that, for me it started happening with the 1.1.1 update, I wish I still had that 1.1.0 manual update file.
stangri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:29 AM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What is the difference between 1.1.0 and 1.1.1 (not counting new bugs)?
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
LessPaul
Connoisseur
LessPaul doesn't litterLessPaul doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2021 / PC / iPad
The Nook has no "Go to page #" option (but lots of folks are asking for it, so I would not be surprised to see it in an update.

"Go to Cover" will work only if the epub file has a cover. If mentioned you started with a text file, so I suspect you don't have a cover image. If you did not define/add a cover image, there is no cover to go to. Cover is not the same as page 1.

According to B&N, the Nook remembers where you are in an ebook only if you let it go to sleep or if you exit the ebook. If you turn the Nook off with the power switch without first exiting a book, it will forget your place. However, letting it go to sleep should retain your place. -=- That said, the feature works fine for me, but there are lots of folks having this particular problem.

I believe you can reset the furthest reading point by deleting the ebook, refreshing the list from the nook menus, then reinstalling the ebook.

A second option, which is what I do, is to use the bookmark feature. Just bookmark your place when you are done reading.
LessPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessPaul View Post
The Nook has no "Go to page #" option (but lots of folks are asking for it, so I would not be surprised to see it in an update.

"Go to Cover" will work only if the epub file has a cover. If mentioned you started with a text file, so I suspect you don't have a cover image. If you did not define/add a cover image, there is no cover to go to. Cover is not the same as page 1.

According to B&N, the Nook remembers where you are in an ebook only if you let it go to sleep or if you exit the ebook. If you turn the Nook off with the power switch without first exiting a book, it will forget your place. However, letting it go to sleep should retain your place. -=- That said, the feature works fine for me, but there are lots of folks having this particular problem.

I believe you can reset the furthest reading point by deleting the ebook, refreshing the list from the nook menus, then reinstalling the ebook.

A second option, which is what I do, is to use the bookmark feature. Just bookmark your place when you are done reading.
I do have a cover image. I was careful to make sure I do.
If you're familiar with Calibre, do I need to do something else to ensure it works?
Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I converted a lot of ebooks to epub using Calibre without any special setting and goto cover works well for me.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:29 PM   #7
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthoven View Post
I converted a lot of ebooks to epub using Calibre without any special setting and goto cover works well for me.
Do you have that defintely worked that I can look at to compare?
Because I'm converting from RTF

Last edited by Trel; 01-15-2010 at 01:37 AM.
Old 01-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Trel
Connoisseur

Anyone? Not being able to go to cover is such a PitA
Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Why is being not being able to go to the cover a PitA?
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you had a go to page, you'd go to page 1 to go to the ePub's cover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:25 PM   #11
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Why is being not being able to go to the cover a PitA?
How else does one get to the beginning after reading?
Old 01-15-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trel View Post
How else does one get to the beginning after reading?
Well that makes sense. I did send you a PM asking you if you have MicroSoft Word? If so perhaps I can help you with your Cover and Chapter issues.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:57 PM   #13
Trel
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
Well that makes sense. I did send you a PM asking you if you have MicroSoft Word? If so perhaps I can help you with your Cover and Chapter issues.
Sorry, I didn't notice. And sadly I do not. I have open office. But still, my files are in RTF format. I'd rather not convert them more than once.

Though if you told me the word method, I might still be able find what's happening differently.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:26 AM   #14
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse

I think you need someway to had tags to your chapter headings. It has been a long time since I have played around with Open Office, I use BookCreator (which need MS Word) for all my books. I am in the process of downloading Open Office and see if I can do some experimenting to help you out.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Maybe fixing your ePub with Sigil would work.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote