Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
scarter
scarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Thumbs up Sony eBook Store Price Drop?

I've been dismayed by the fact that books for my Sony PRS-505 at the Sony eBookstore were always somewhat (sometimes a lot) higher than Amazon Kindle prices. Last week I went shopping for some Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child, and bought the latest one for about $16, when Amazon had it for the Kindle at $9.99.

Went browsing again today, and was very surprised to notice that all of his books were now $9.99 or less. So I looked at the best seller list, and saw that most of them were $9.99. That didn't used to be the case

This is admittedly a non-scientific sample, but I wonder if this a clue that maybe Sony has decided to get serious about the e-book market, and is is part of a marketing push which includes new models and embracing the ePub format.

If so, it's great news.
scarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #2
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
you might want to contact Sony and see about a possible rebate.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie
Grandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litterGrandma Aubbie doesn't litter

Device: sony 600
I believe that Sony announced the price reduction at the same time they announced the 600 and 300.
Grandma Aubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 08:32 AM   #4
drmathprog
Connoisseur
drmathprog began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I don't know; Sony's site is the only place in the retail world I've found I can buy William Vollmann's Imperial at $55 US, full list price.
drmathprog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 02:01 PM   #5
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Jack Reacher books are like crack. Can't put one down, and as soon as it ends I need another fix! (Sorta on-topic!!)
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #6
Noobula
Noobula began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505s
I think the Sony PRS-505s will be discontinued, hence the price drop. It seems stores (even the sony stores) are not restocking the 505s.
Noobula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Boxdoc
Boxdoc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS - 700, Kindle 2
Are the new priced books in .LRF or the new EPUB format? If they are in LRF, it is still a deal-breaker for me.
Boxdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:13 PM   #8
scarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxdoc View Post
Are the new priced books in .LRF or the new EPUB format? If they are in LRF, it is still a deal-breaker for me.

The one I just bought was .LRX (DRM).
Old 08-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #9
scarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
Jack Reacher books are like crack. Can't put one down, and as soon as it ends I need another fix! (Sorta on-topic!!)
Totally on topic. I only discovered them a couple of months ago, and I like them a lot, but would say it's more like popcorn.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:18 PM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxdoc View Post
They'll all be in ePub later this year.

They announced the price drop a few weeks ago and enacted it almost immediately.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote