Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 01:53 AM   #1
Manodragon
Manodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux 3
PocketBook Basic 2 614 - questions

Hi all! Just discovered this forum and it's awesome.
I wanted to adress some issues (or questions) that I have with my Basic 2.

1. Did someone manage to install CoolReader on a 614? I would like to see how it works but I dont' wanna brick it
2. Does someone know how to make FbReader default in reading ePubs? (I don't wanna long-press and select "open with" every time)
3. I've managed to install some new fonts. Now, does someone has themes for the 614?

If I think of some other things, I'm gonna update this thread.
In the meantime,
Manodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manodragon View Post
Hi all! Just discovered this forum and it's awesome.
I wanted to adress some issues (or questions) that I have with my Basic 2.

1. Did someone manage to install CoolReader on a 614? I would like to see how it works but I dont' wanna brick it
2. Does someone know how to make FbReader default in reading ePubs? (I don't wanna long-press and select "open with" every time)
3. I've managed to install some new fonts. Now, does someone has themes for the 614?

If I think of some other things, I'm gonna update this thread.
In the meantime,
1. You can't brick the device by installing software. The new software goes into a different file system than where the OS resides. So, you can play around with installing new software without worrying too much.

2. You can create the file /system/config/extensions.cfg in the internal file system and add lines to it that determine which applications are used to read files with certain extensions. The first application in the list is the default one. On my 623, I have the following line for epubs:

epub:@EPUB_file:1:AdobeViewer.app,fbreader.app

To make fbreader the default, I would replace that line with:

epub:@EPUB_file:1:fbreader.app,AdobeViewer.app

Both applications are still available with the "Open with..." menu item.

The names of the applications are important in the lines above. Some devices have different application names. If those don't work. you'll probably have to install some kind of terminal program and look inside the system default file at /ebrmain/config/extensions.cfg (which is not accessible via USB).

If you install coolreader, you will have to add it to the extensions.cfg file to use it from the Library tab. Search this group for extensions.cfg to see many posts on this topic.

3. I don't know anything about themes, so I'll leave that for someone else.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:54 PM   #3
Manodragon
Manodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and graceManodragon herds cats with both ease and grace

Ok. My E-Reader has Firmware 4.4.1772. So I've downloaded Pro4 archive, extracted it and copied it into my system folder. When I tried to open an ePub with it (it does appear in the list in context menu - "open with") it tries to load something (I can see the hourglass for a second then it just goes back to the library where I was when opening the book.
So it doesn't work. If someone has an idea about what can be done, I'm here to test it.
Meanwhile, I'm gonna factory reset it
Old 05-09-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
HeliMan171 had the same problem with pbimageviewer on that firmware. He found that the version for firmware 5 worked on the device. If there's a version of coolreader for firmware version 5, try installing that instead.

It looks like PocketBook wants to keep the firmware version 4 UI for the Basic, but the version 5 library versions underneath. They don't make it easy on those of us trying to provide other software for their devices.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Manodragon

I think I'm gonna try it sometime in the future. (because I've encountered some problems with the factory reset/formatting the internal memory and it kinda put me off to try this right away and get into that trouble again)
Now I have another question: is there a way to set defaults settings to AdobeViewer? Like "small margins" instead of default? Or the size of the font to start with?

Last edited by Manodragon; 05-09-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Tags
614, basic 2, coolreader, fonts, themes