Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-09-2017, 10:36 AM   #1
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Will K2PC 1.19 and KFX alter your ebook purchasing habits?

NVDA (NonVisual Desktop Access) and Kindle for PC 1.19

With the release of Kindle for PC 1.19, it is highly probable that it will soon only be possible to download non-KFX files if you have a pre-PW2 Kindle. This means that if you only have a Kindle newer than a PW1, you will not be able to remove DRM or convert your books to other formats.

Will this affect your ebook buying habits? Do you expect to go to vendors other than Amazon to get your books, and if so, what vendors will you use?

Edit: To be clear, no users are currently in danger of being unable to convert, backup or remove DRM from their Amazon books. Both Kindle for PC versions 1.15 and 1.17 are still available and functional and will download a non-KFX file to your PC. But uncheck the auto-update box if you don't want to update to the latest 1.19 version. In addition, USB transfer still downloads non-KFX files which can be de-DRMed. So don't panic! This thread is purely speculative and there is no immediate threat to you de-DRMing your books.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 01-10-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Yes, if that happens I will just have to stop reading and shopping and eating because of that one format. I would be devastated.

Ok now that that is out of my system:

Not in the least. Why should it? I tend to buy where things are cheapest and easiest. If worse comes to worse, I will just keep one of my older kindles registered. Or should I say I would if I actually cared about formats. Unless it is a special book, I tend to only read it once anyway.
I figure my attitude is the same as most people that own kindles.

Note: you are really preaching to the choir here. The only thing most people will care about is can I read the book I just bought.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:14 PM   #3
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I buy from other vendors all the time, and as I have two older kindles still registered, my buying habits aren't going to change much.

If it should ever happen that kfx is the only format available from Amazon and it is still uncracked, then no, in that case I won't buy from them. But I hope it will not come to that.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I'll buy from kobo if I am forced into KFX downloads. I'd also look for an old kindle on eBay (we have a PW2 and the Voyage) to register just for non KFX downloads.

Last edited by Josieb1; 01-09-2017 at 12:24 PM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:35 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
well I just went to Amazon and downloaded a copy of K4PC version 1.17 and will keep it in my archive so if needed I can install it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
well I just went to Amazon and downloaded a copy of K4PC version 1.17 and will keep it in my archive so if needed I can install it.
I've done the same thing, we have three different pc's, MAC, W10 and W7 and done it for all three.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:42 PM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

On KFPC you can disable automatic updates, then when it detects a new version it asks if you want to update or skip that version.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:45 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
On KFPC you can disable automatic updates, then when it detects a new version it asks if you want to update or skip that version.
Thank you I just went in an disabled the updates.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
I used to buy from both Kobo and Amazon but I've decided to stop buying ebooks from Amazon as of now. I figure I may as well get used to it, unless friends of Alf can work their magic.

The test of willpower will come if there's a new title I want that Kobo don't have. Will I be strong enough to just read something else?

It's been a bad week for me regarding Amazon. It may not be new news but I only just found out that they pulled my favourite TTS app, Ivona, from Google Play. I suppose I'm going to have to learn to love Acapela instead when I get my next phone.

It's getting mighty chilly on the outside of the Amazon club.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #10
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

* To those leaving Amazon over this, think of all the "Google translated" "word proofed" books you will miss out on.
Oh wait that might be like missing a sore toe.

Seriously, on shopping and in most of life, always do what you think is best for you.
Just don't get cranky when 90% of the people do something different.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #11
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
Note: you are really preaching to the choir here. The only thing most people will care about is can I read the book I just bought.
My post is not addressed to "most people" but to mobileread users who are certainly more inclined to remove DRM.
Old 01-09-2017, 02:39 PM   #12
Pajamaman
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, new versions of K2PC eventually become obligatory. One cannot run the older version. Is this correct?
Old 01-09-2017, 02:47 PM   #13
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I only own kindle e-readers, so buying somewhere would put me in the same situation. I don't know any publishers that sell DRM free. So for now I am covered with amazon books. I only take drm off for my own personal backup, just in case. With the latest mess and folks losing many books with allromance ebooks closing, I just feel better having all my books stored somewhere. I don't ever use those to read my amazon books, I just pull them from the cloud for that.

Now if I had no way to back them up anymore, the question is would that change my purchase patterns? Probably somewhat. I would use the library more so I don't have to worry about buying books I don't really "own" in the end. And use KU. I might still buy some books, but nothing in the higher ranges. I hope it doesn't come to this, but I don't want to lose access to my books for whatever reason. I am not so worried about Amazon closing, but there are ways one can lose their account. Rare, but happens. I just want to be prepared is all.

But I don't really have the option of buying elsewhere. I like how amazon stuff works, integration of my kindles and that only works as well with amazon purchased books. So I hope with the older version of K4PC and other options, I can continue to buy books and back them up.

I'll think of what to do when I get there if that changes.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 02:49 PM   #14
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
I don't know any publishers that sell DRM free.
Tor (US) is the only major imprint I know of that does.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 03:10 PM   #15
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
My post is not addressed to "most people" but to mobileread users who are certainly more inclined to remove DRM.
Here is the thing, you probably already know the answer that this group will give.
Hence from those answers, you could say people will change their habits.
However since you are asking a biased group, that is very skewed data.
I was just pointing out that it really doesn't matter a very selective group would do when the group is less than 5% of the total users.

Oh and little trivia, this particular thread is giving the powers that be very valuable data.
It isn't just this thread. Time lines match very nicely with breakthroughs and firmware updates.