Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
How are books in Calibre matched to books on Kobo?

I have a Kobo reader and if I buy a book from Kobo I usually keep the kepub version on the reader and download the epub version to keep in Calibre. Calibre matches these books, and so the book in Calibre shows as being present on my reader.

I noticed that the books don't actually need to have the same title to be matched. I bought a book where the title on the epub version was "The Knight" and on the kepub version was "The Knight - Book One of The Wizard Knight". Calibre knows that these are the same book, because when I set the series info fo the epub version it got transferred to the kepub version on the reader.

So how did Calibre match these books? Was it just from a partial match on the filenames?
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The driver and calibre do the matching in few ways. One is that a file called metadata.calibre is maintained on the root of the device. This is the first stop for matching. Any book that calibre has matched in a previous session is in here and will match from then on. And when you send a book, it is added to this for matching later.

For other books, it is purely title and author. And an exact match is needed.

The title you have is a bit unusual for a kepub. I would normally expect something like "The Knight (Book One of The Wizard Knight)" Because of the format, that makes me wonder if what you are seeing is actually a title followed by a subtitle. In the database on the device, there is separate field for a subtitle. It is displayed in the library lists as part of the title but separated by a dash like you are seeing. I have a few books from Kobo where this happens.

I had a look for the book in the Kobo shop. The closest I could find was "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe. Wikipedia told me this was book one of "The Wizard Knight". Unfortunately, when I downloaded the preview, the title showed as simply "The Knight". I'm not sure if I found the wrong book, or a different edition.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I didn't know about the subtitle field, that must be it, it matched on the title ignoring the subtitle. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I had a look for the book in the Kobo shop. The closest I could find was "The Knight" by Gene Wolfe. Wikipedia told me this was book one of "The Wizard Knight". Unfortunately, when I downloaded the preview, the title showed as simply "The Knight". I'm not sure if I found the wrong book, or a different edition.
That is the one, I got the Tor imprint.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I didn't know about the subtitle field, that must be it, it matched on the title ignoring the subtitle. Thanks.
The subtitle was added at the same time as the series. I haven't done anything with it as there isn't a suitable field in calibre to pull it from.
Quote:
That is the one, I got the Tor imprint.
I get a "This content is not available internationally." message for that. The one I found is from Orion and is http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-K...8dbLVZgimQ&r=1. I though that Australia and NZ would have the same version. Interestingly, I can find the Tor version on Amazon, and they seem happy to sell it to me. They are usually in sync on this with Kobo.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:38 PM   #5
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The subtitle was added at the same time as the series. I haven't done anything with it as there isn't a suitable field in calibre to pull it from.
The way it appears to be used on the device at the moment there doesn't seem much advantage in having a seperate subtitle. But if a future firmware version was to say display only the main title in the book listing but the full title and subtitle in the details view then it would be nice to be able to set the subtitle seperately from Calibre.

Quote:
I get a "This content is not available internationally." message for that. The one I found is from Orion and is http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-K...8dbLVZgimQ&r=1. I though that Australia and NZ would have the same version. Interestingly, I can find the Tor version on Amazon, and they seem happy to sell it to me. They are usually in sync on this with Kobo.
I have almost given up trying to figure out the geographic restrictions. From Kobo NZ I can buy both the Tor and Orion versions, but the Tor version is half the price and DRM-free to boot.

Last edited by GeoffR; 03-17-2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The way it appears to be used on the device at the moment there doesn't seem much advantage in having a seperate subtitle. But if a future firmware version was to say display only the main title in the book listing but the full title and subtitle in the details view then it would be nice to be able to set the subtitle seperately from Calibre.
Yes, that would be good. Or displaying the subtitle differently to be able to tell. If it was on a cover, it would be obvious.

I just tried a search. It matched the subtitle of a book, but only showed the subtitle in the result list. You could use that to prove my theory.

The other thing with the subtitle is that I don't know where it fits in the sorting. It might not be used or it might sort as displayed. And if there is also a series name, I don't know where it fits with the subtitle. FW2.4.0 puts the series after the title. But is it before or after the subtitle?