Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-27-2016, 07:24 AM   #31
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by huelvy View Post
I´m thinking about buy an Onyx Boox Max, but I have a pair of questions and I wonder if someone could answer them.

Because of my work, I spend lots of time reading and editing MS Office documents, and my eyes are suffering. I thought about adquire a Dasung Paperlike to use it as my PC display, but then I thought that the Onyx Boox Max could be more versatile, as it runs Android and can be used as an independent e-book (in fact, IT IS an e-book).

I think that it is possible to use "VNC viewer" (and its Windows client "RealVNC") or a similar Android app in the Boox Max and use it as PC display via wi-fi. The questions are:

1. Has someone tried it (Boox Max + wi-fi connection + Windows)?
2. If so, what about the display response? Is it too laggy or is it useable? My only goal is use it for MS Office in a Windows PC and preferably via wi-fi.
3. I have searched a video to watch the display response using VNC, but I haven´t found anyone. Could someone upload a video showing an Boox Max running a VNC app?

Please, understand me: it costs so much money and I want to be sure before spend it.

Thank you!

A pair of questions would be six (6) questions, would it not? Yet, you only have 3 questions.

However, if one saw three pairs of jeans walking down the street (presumably filled with three different people), then that would be THREE pairs of jeans, rather than SIX!

Yet.....looking over your post, I see only three (3) enumerated questions, but you say you have a pair of questions.

So....what is it, my good man (or woman)?

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 01:22 PM   #32
huelvy
huelvy began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox M92 / Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
A pair of questions would be six (6) questions, would it not? Yet, you only have 3 questions.

However, if one saw three pairs of jeans walking down the street (presumably filled with three different people), then that would be THREE pairs of jeans, rather than SIX!

Yet.....looking over your post, I see only three (3) enumerated questions, but you say you have a pair of questions.
Aaargh! My maths are crying!

Let me see. "Pair" is just a set of two things together. If we count the question marks, we find that there are four of them, so we can assume that I have made two pairs of questions. Anyway, the pair of questions at point 2 are, in fact, the same, so we can consider them as only one (question). And if we consider that we are talking about questions, and not about jeans, we can say that I have not made a pair of questions, or two pairs (four questions), or even three pairs (six questions), but three questions, that is a pair and a half of questions.

(Please, let´s leave this dicussion NOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
So....what is it, my good man (or woman)?
Man, please.

(Off-topic mode off)
huelvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2016, 01:53 PM   #33
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by huelvy View Post
Aaargh! My maths are crying!

Let me see. "Pair" is just a set of two things together. If we count the question marks, we find that there are four of them, so we can assume that I have made two pairs of questions. Anyway, the pair of questions at point 2 are, in fact, the same, so we can consider them as only one (question). And if we consider that we are talking about questions, and not about jeans, we can say that I have not made a pair of questions, or two pairs (four questions), or even three pairs (six questions), but three questions, that is a pair and a half of questions.

(Please, let´s leave this dicussion NOW)

Man, please.

(Off-topic mode off)

Off-topic post:

I like the way you think!

----- But now back to your original question.....

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-28-2016 at 01:56 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:37 AM   #34
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiradur View Post
Honestly, for a productive setup, I don't think an epaper screen is the right choice at the moment From my experience the artifacts an epaper screen generates when the screen content changes (e.g. moving mouse cursor) can make the experience even more stressful for the eyes. I've since given up on trying to use an epaper screen as a monitor. The tech is too slow, requires too much fiddling and is too limited for a productive setup.
That's unfortunate. I've been inclined to agree with your posts on this topic and have found them quite helpful. For instance, I fully agree that using a mouse or even the stylus is too much work to be very efficient.

Quote:
The only thing which would work well with an epaper screen is displaying static content. Content you want to read but don't interact with.
Did you get to experiment with terminal apps at all? I appreciate that you were having trouble getting a keyboard to work. I have similar misgivings about BT keyboards and have opted for a USB to bluetooth switch instead. Again, I haven't had much time to use it, but it seems to work OK with the M96, although I'm too busy right now to test it thoroughly. Using a mechanical USB keyboard with Obuntu on my M92, for instance, in a terminal seemed OK. But again, I didn't really get to test it with editing a text for instance, which would be more difficult given the greater navigation requirements. Again, I didn't have all that much time to test it, before getting waylaid by other things.
Wong McGregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:48 AM   #35
Hiradur
Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: K4NT, Boox M96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wong McGregor View Post
Did you get to experiment with terminal apps at all? I appreciate that you were having trouble getting a keyboard to work. I have similar misgivings about BT keyboards and have opted for a USB to bluetooth switch instead. Again, I haven't had much time to use it, but it seems to work OK with the M96, although I'm too busy right now to test it thoroughly. Using a mechanical USB keyboard with Obuntu on my M92, for instance, in a terminal seemed OK. But again, I didn't really get to test it with editing a text for instance, which would be more difficult given the greater navigation requirements. Again, I didn't have all that much time to test it, before getting waylaid by other things.
Yes, I experimented with terminal apps and a keyboard. I bought an USB OTG adapter but I couldn't get a keyboard to work with it. I then borrowed a BT keyboard and it worked fine for my testing.

What I love the most about terminal apps is that they are very responsive and I usually blaze through the terminal. While working with terminal apps on the M96 seemed ok at first the slow response time of the screen put me off after a while to the point that after a few hours I had to switch to my computer. I tried it again on two other days but never felt comfortable and as productive working this way. I also missed syntax highlighting a lot.
Additionally I didn't feel it reduced eye strain, quite the contrary due to long response times of the screen. Maybe it just needs more time to get used to but I decided to put it down.
Hiradur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 12:35 AM   #36
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur
Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Wong McGregor is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
Yes, I experimented with terminal apps and a keyboard. I bought an USB OTG adapter but I couldn't get a keyboard to work with it. I then borrowed a BT keyboard and it worked fine for my testing.
It now seems as though USB host support was indeed removed from the later firmware. I've linked to Booxtor's post explaining this from the thread discussing USB keyboard (host) support on the M96.

Quote:
What I love the most about terminal apps is that they are very responsive and I usually blaze through the terminal. While working with terminal apps on the M96 seemed ok at first the slow response time of the screen put me off after a while to the point that after a few hours I had to switch to my computer. I tried it again on two other days but never felt comfortable and as productive working this way. I also missed syntax highlighting a lot.

Additionally I didn't feel it reduced eye strain, quite the contrary due to long response times of the screen. Maybe it just needs more time to get used to but I decided to put it down.
Thanks. Yes - at least with this generation of technology there is alway's going to be the slow refresh rate of the screen itself and whether one can tolerate that and all the other disadvantages of eink for whatever benefits one gets. So it is never going to be lightening fast, though using something like a VNC from another device is likely to be much worse. I'll have to see myself, when I get back to trying to work out a workflow. I have spent literally days marking essays on a screen (it is all being pushed online simply because it is cheaper, for the powers that be, not me, obviously enough) which was a truly terrible experience.

The slow refresh rate is one reason why I have more interest in the next generation of processors than simply larger screen sizes as I tried to explain in this post:

Quote:

http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...dustry-in-2015

Freescale told me during the product announcement that one of the prolific changes will be page refresh rates. The rate in which page turn speeds occur heavily depend upon the waveform that the e-Reader uses. The update times can range between 125 mSec – 500 mSec. By integrating the REGAL waveform support in hardware, Freescale are taking away any additional time that would be added due to Algorithm processing on the Cortex-A core, hence a savings of up to 150 mSec.

Solving the page turn program is a big step forward, but that’s not the only thing that is being remedied with this new processor. Ghosting will also be solved with this framework, which is a huge deal. Normally with e-readers you will have a full page refresh every six pages or in some cases every chapter. The reason for this, is the longer the display goes without a full page refresh text gradually starts super imposing itself. I have never liked full page refreshes, as it breaks reading immersion. Now, this will also be fixed, which means less full page refreshes because again, its now hardware based, instead of software.

Likely the largest innovation in the IMX product line is the support for hardware dithering. This will allow e-reader companies that work with the Linux or Android platforms to be able to include animated content. This will include truly animated page turns, interactive menus and video. Freescale showed me somethings I can’t write about, but needless to say I saw fully streaming video on an e-reader and it looked awesome.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:32 AM   #37
Hiradur
Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.Hiradur is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Quote:
The slow refresh rate is one reason why I have more interest in the next generation of processors than simply larger screen sizes as I tried to explain in this post:
Interesting, things like this make me wish there was an e-Reader compliant with the EOMA68 standard so the CPU could be swapped without getting an entirely new device.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #38
Wong McGregor
Connoisseur

Quote:
Interesting, things like this make me wish there was an e-Reader compliant with the EOMA68 standard so the CPU could be swapped without getting an entirely new device.
That's a very perceptive observation. I can remember quite a few people arguing that the use cases of that project would be too narrow. Eink actually looks like a pretty good fit, given the cost of the screens, although obviously a rather niche one. Obviously, one wouldn't want to be holding one's breath waiting for Onyx to adopt it. But it will be interesting to see whether it gets any traction elsewhere at least.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #39
Hiradur

Quote:
That's a very perceptive observation. I can remember quite a few people arguing that the use cases of that project would be too narrow. Eink actually looks like a pretty good fit, given the cost of the screens, although obviously a rather niche one. Obviously, one wouldn't want to be holding one's breath waiting for Onyx to adopt it. But it will be interesting to see whether it gets any traction elsewhere at least.
I think EOMA68 is rather exciting. I can see it being used for digital radios and digital TVs so this equipment could easily be upgraded for new codecs. Video consoles, tablets, smartphones, ereaders and so on would also profit, now that the surrounding technology is basically good enough. Actually I can think of no consumer device where it wouldn't be useful. But of course it needs to gain more traction first.
Old 11-12-2016, 01:57 PM   #40
eReader fan
Addict
eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.eReader fan has top level security clearance to Area 51.

Device: Onyx Nova pro and Hisense A2 pro
Despite of the bad impressions of some users of this thread, I am trying to do that but between and android 6 phone and the Onyx. I think by connecting via VNC a mobile phone and a eReader it give us the oportunity to travel without a computer and have the posibility to edit text and other static stuff. And in the other hand, I need it.

The first problem I had was the need of rooting my phone. Once did, I had to find a VNC server for android. There are a lot of clients, but not much servers. After searching a lot I found only 3: DROIDVNC, REMODROID and SERVERS ULTIMATE.

EDIT: I have explored all the possibilities and I come to explain them to you.

As I said, there are only the options mentioned before, but they work better or worst depending on the version of your Android, so try them and check how it works. DROIDVNC only works on android 6, in my case a rooted android 6, but with some strange behaviour that makes you think it doesn't work. About the SERVERS ULTIMATE I can only say that I haven't achieved to make it work.

In linux is as easy to start a x0vncserver, and in windows you need to install a Tight Vnc server o another server. About the client I selected Bvnc client or Multivnc.

In some platforms works faster than in another, better if you have a linux or a windows.

Good luck!

Last edited by eReader fan; 02-03-2017 at 01:40 PM.
eReader fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 09:50 PM   #41
ou4read
ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ou4read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3rd gen.
Anyone had success with iDisplay and a Windows 7 machine? I've been trying to make it work via USB, but so far unsuccessful.

Specifically I installed iDisplay 3.0.1 on N96 and 2.4 on my laptop. Initial attempt without any fiddling with settings failed. Their FAQ suggested I use 'iDisplay safe mode' and warned that USB connection is very old, is problematic and may not work. With that safe mode it didn't work either, as warned.

The next thing I can try is to lower the version of the Android app, though I'm skeptical.

Is there another method or app that supports USB connection? Spashtop didn't work for me either.
ou4read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:25 AM   #42
Echo_IM
Echo_IM began at the beginning.

Device: Oynx Boox Max
All,

There is a solution here using USB with 13.3 Inch Oynx Boox Max, resolution 1600x1200.
https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-dis...ster/BOOXen.md
https://www.amazon.com/Onyx-BOOX-PC-...+boox+max+13.3

Last edited by Echo_IM; 03-13-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Echo_IM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM   #43
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo_IM View Post
All,

There is a solution here using USB with 13.3 Inch Oynx Boox Max, resolution 1600x1200.

https://github.com/nahtethan/dxg-dis...ster/BOOXen.md
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XJRKJ4R..._0NwXyb92N6JYW
Neither link works for me. And has this method been tested by you?

Edit: the github project is the old Kindle DX project. How would this work on a Onyx?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 11:46 AM   #44
Echo_IM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

Edit: the github project is the old Kindle DX project. How would this work on a Onyx?
Thanks. I fixed the link. Please try again.

Last edited by Echo_IM; 03-13-2017 at 12:55 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:54 PM   #45
Echo_IM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post

I only tested the demo link(half screen). It is a crude windows program but it worked out OK. Much faster than VNC solution, as there is no other overhead but screen copying thru USB.