Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 09-10-2017, 07:52 AM   #1
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Question KOReader INQUIRIES!!

Greetings,

I have a couple questions about KOREADER.

I realized that the epub 3.0 javascript implementation is used differently accross devices. For instance kobo devices allow a really small set of javascript. Understantly this limits some consideration when creating an epub.

Therefore I was wondering this first:

1- WHAT LEVEL OF JAVASCRIPT SUPPORT DOES KOREADER HAVE??

Second, reading and consulting ebooks I noticed an extremely vexing limitation on ereaders in general. The lack of ability to consult several ebooks/pdfs simultanously. Something very normal on a computer, to have several documents opened at the same time.

This is a feature that Onyx ereaders is introducing into their devices.

2- DOES KOREADER HAVE THE POSIBILITY TO OPEN TABBED EPUBS??

When editing some ebooks the process of testing is time consuming due to the slow process of transfering to and fro into the device. I was wondering if there was a possibility to an 'edit' feature built-in device. This feature would help a lot to see how it's rendered directly on the device.

3- DOES KOREADER HAVE AN IN DEVICE EPUB EDIT FEATURE?

In my last question i'd like to know, given the open source nature of KOREADER, whether it includes a simple editor, something like a fullfeatured vim.

4- DOES KOREADER HAVE A BUILT IN EDITOR AND IS IT POSSIBLE TO ATTACH A USB KEYBOARD??

Well one more question. I want to know which SDK does KOREADER use and also if it's possible to use python on the program. There's some nifty portable python platform called Kivy.

thanks.
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
I for one really, really would like KOReader to remain primarily a reader and not try to become an editing program.

KOReader has a "History" menu/listing where you can have a goodly number of "open" books that you can jump between. Each book will be on the page you last left it.

You can learn more about KOReader at the project at Github. The WiKi.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-10-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:41 AM   #3
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Javascript&Python support:
The frontend is entire coded in lua. If you want to use javascript or python code you'll have to google for libraries, e.g. lunatic-python. So basically: no support! Do not expect pull requests not coded in lua to be accepted. I remember some conversations about it in the past and the the consensus was: Lua only.

Editing:
Before we can edit epubs, koreader will need a text editor. For now, there isn't even a note editor written. I would love that feature! Adding an epub editor than only requires the epub to be decompressed somewhere, edited and recompressed. The big problem for a note editor seems to be the lag in displaying typed text on screen and people willing to implement it.
These editor features should be hacked into the frontend as plug-ins, so that people like Ken don't have to enable them, if they don't want to use it.
If you want to edit text/code-files and are using a Kobo device, you could look at KoboLauncher which does include an editor.

Use telnet access:
Koreader now has a terminal simulator that generates output for a given command. This simulator would need a fairly big overhaul to allow for vim editing. I think for something that involved, you would be far better of by enabling telnet or USBnet on your device and using your mobile phone or PC to access your reader: You'll have full terminal support, including vim or whatever editor you like to install.

Keyboard:
You really need to differentiate between a device and the installed software. No, the software does not allow you to magically attach a keyboard. However, the linux installation on for instance my Kobo Aura H2O can be hacked to allow it. IIRC, the frontend detects whether there is a keyboard attached on startup and adds keyboard shortcuts to the interface. This feature is normally only used when you're hacking the frontend on your PC.

Last edited by Markismus; 09-11-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:10 AM   #4
pluma
Enthusiast
pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pluma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Javascript&Python support:
The frontend is entire coded in lua. If you want to use javascript or python code you'll have to google for libraries, e.g. lunatic-python. So basically: no support! Do not expect pull requests not coded in lua to be accepted. I remember some conversations about it in the past and the the consensus was: Lua only.
whatever editor you like to install.
By javascript support I meant within the EPUB 3.0 renderer. Kobo epub 3 renderer doesn't allow full blown epub 3 javascript implementation, saddly.

That's why I asked whether Koreader allows full epub 3.0 javascrip specification.

EDITOR

As a plugin would be fine. I was looking at lua editors, but I am not a lua programmer. I see many that mention 'editor with lua scripting'. However I am not sure if those are written in lua. I am pretty sure there's gotta be something floating around, a simple editor.

Kobo Aura refresh lag is bearable for typing, is just the right speed. This would be nice to have.

Perhaps, coolreader has full epub 3.0 javascript support.

I am concerned about battery drain when using 3rd party readers.

Thanks.
pluma is offline   Reply With Quote