Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Goodreads

Is anyone here an active member of Goodreads? I'd like to get your opinion on Copia. I have a beta invite I can share (several, actually).

As I understand it (I've only been a member for a couple hours), Goodreads is a social networking site for bookworms (plus a lot more). I'd like to know what you think of Copia.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:32 PM   #2
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Device: Kobo
I've been a member for a few months. Not so much of the social networking, like here, but lots of reviews, ratings and comments on lots of books. What you can do is to follow people who's reviews you like, look at their bookshelves and other reviews and such.
HamsterRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #3
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Have to agree with Hammy. Maybe a step between Amazon [for reviews] and Facebook [social side of things].
I like the groups and try to participate at least once a week. I'm more in it for the record keeping aspect of it though. 100+ books a year, easy to forget if you've read Book X of Series Y :-)
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I rather enjoy GoodReads. I joined it when I had absolutely no idea what book(s) to read next, and now my TBR list is out of control. I used to participate a little heavier in the SF/F bookclub, but haven't had a chance to really get back up to speed since the Little One was born.

I use GR for the social aspect (bookclub), ideas/introduction to new authors, and to keep track of my TBR and read lists. Send me an invite, I'd love to try out Copia!

Last edited by queentess; 08-19-2010 at 09:28 AM.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 09:47 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I rather enjoy GoodReads. I joined it when I had absolutely no idea what book(s) to read next, and now my TBR list is out of control. I used to participate a little heavier in the SF/F bookclub, but haven't had a chance to really get back up to speed since the Little One was born.

I use GR for the social aspect (bookclub), ideas/introduction to new authors, and to keep track of my TBR and read lists. Send me an invite, I'd love to try out Copia!
I need your email.

Or anyone's email, for that matter. I have extra invites.
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I need your email.

Or anyone's email, for that matter. I have extra invites.
PM'ed
Old 08-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #7
queentess
Reading is sexy

Quote:
Nate the great has nominated you to receive an invitation to Copia Beta. Congratulations! This nomination puts you in the next round of invites we'll be sending out shortly. Be on the lookout for an email which will provide you with the appropriate access information.
I'll let you know when I get the invite
Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM   #8
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by queentess View Post
I'll let you know when I get the invite
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you'd get an actual invite.
Old 08-19-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
HamsterRage
Evangelist
HamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notesHamsterRage can name that song in three notes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Have to agree with Hammy. Maybe a step between Amazon [for reviews] and Facebook [social side of things].
I like the groups and try to participate at least once a week. I'm more in it for the record keeping aspect of it though. 100+ books a year, easy to forget if you've read Book X of Series Y :-)
Hammy????

That pretty much mirrors my experience with Goodreads though.
Old 08-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #10
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, Hammy is so much cuter than Hamster RAGE [against the machine].

and after reading the opening piece, I realized, isn't this thread about copia?

So Nate, what is your experience on copia? I'd be interested in hearing if you think it is good enough to go through the trouble of creating yet another account to join and keep track of...
Old 08-20-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
What's Copia?

I mostly use Goodreads to keep a list of the books I read. I haven't tried to use it for it's social aspects - it all takes time Anyone from here are welcome to friend me at Goodreads BTW.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #12
HamsterRage
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
What's Copia?

I mostly use Goodreads to keep a list of the books I read. I haven't tried to use it for it's social aspects - it all takes time Anyone from here are welcome to friend me at Goodreads BTW.
I did a search for "Copia" on Goodreads, cuz that's what I thought what this was about. It found something, but it wasn't the kind of thing I'd be wanting to get into a discussion about.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #13
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider

Oh, Copia isn't some "other" book reading site? Maybe Nate should come and clarify some things for us all then...

edit:
After some help from my friend google, here's what I found:
http://www.thecopia.com/

It appears to be a site that is trying to be a whole ecosystem. Physical reader, ebook store, twitter/goodreads plugin, some sort of app on your computer [?], and discussion forum.
I'm confused more than anything after visiting the site. I know it is a beta site so all the kinks aren't worked out yet, but what is the core mission of these people?

Could be cool...

Last edited by Ravensknight; 08-20-2010 at 12:22 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-20-2010, 12:37 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Oh, Copia isn't some "other" book reading site? Maybe Nate should come and clarify some things for us all then...

edit:
After some help from my friend google, here's what I found:
http://www.thecopia.com/

It appears to be a site that is trying to be a whole ecosystem. Physical reader, ebook store, twitter/goodreads plugin, some sort of app on your computer [?], and discussion forum.
I'm confused more than anything after visiting the site. I know it is a beta site so all the kinks aren't worked out yet, but what is the core mission of these people?

Could be cool...
Ah. You beat me to it.

Yes, they're trying to be the whole ecosystem. They were even supposed to have e-readers that would integrate your annotations with your Copia account so they could be shared among study groups.

Her's what I see as the problem with their ecosystem idea. I already have all this stuff gathered in one place. It's called my computer.
Old 08-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I've been on Goodreads for a couple years. I enjoy all its features, especially the opportunity to interact directly with readers. You can find me there at:
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/967226.L_J_Sellers

Copia is new to me. But now I'm curious.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote