Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 10:05 AM   #1
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Kindle unavailable - new model?

The Amazon Kindle is currently "Sold Out".

What are the odds of a new Kindle model announcement in the next few days? or maybe a Kpad?

Or am I just becoming a conspiracy theorist?
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Odds? 50-50.
Its just as likely that the next shipment of current-gen K2's got delayed or that they underestimated the sales impact of their impromptu price drop. (Remember the bit about a "tripling of the rate of growth"?)

Still, the (Circumstantial) evidence for a new Kindle lies in the timing.
Bloomberg was reporting a new kindle would be arriving in august.
And the K1s went out of stock just before K2 was announced.
(Even though they continued to sell for a while afterwards.)
The thinking is that sales of the old model stop shortly before the new model is announced so as to minimize the customer service hassle of K2 buyers switching to K3.

Nothing but speculation at this point, though.
Those who know ain't talking and those of us talking don't know squat.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Perfect time for Kobo, B&N, and Sony to do an ad blitz
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I expect a new K2/3 with at least the new pearl screen and graphite case, like the DXG.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Fred Zackel
Connoisseur
Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Hmm. You don't think it might also be that B&N is going to let folks self-pub on the Nook?

Fred Zackel

author of
COCAINE & BLUE EYES
DINERELLA AFTER MIDNIGHT
CREEPIER THAN A WHOREHOUSE KISS
A DEATH IN KEY LARGO
&
MURDER IN WAIKIKI
Fred Zackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
The link in the OP links to the old US Sprint model, but a click through to the K2i also shows it as out of stock.

But there has been a lot of internet buzz about the Kindle Shasta and Shasta WiFi models slated for August. My guess is they'll still be released in August - the Nook price war and Target retail roll-out probably depleted inventory a little faster than anticipated.

I'd be interested in a Kindle 3, with a sharper screen, black plastic rather than cream, but only if they ditch the current joystick/keyboard navigation and offer ePub support for library downloads. But I don't see either of those happening. They didn't overhaul the DXG, so I don't see a Kindle 3 overhaul happening either. And Amazon has no financial interest in me reading books for free
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #7
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Running short of Kindle 2 a week or two before Kindle 3 arrives isn't the worst thing that could happen, especially with a 30 day return policy.

The late June price drop probably was not "planned" and cleared out stock faster than anticipated. I wonder if this is driving more store traffic at Target?

We know colour screen is not coming in August but a "refresh" of Kindle 2 is expected.

I wouldn't hold my breath for a Sony response; they seem to have lost interest in the market. Kobo and B&N Nook ought to respond but it may be prudent to wait for the Amazon product before making their own announcements. Kobo probably has little it can do other than drop the price to $129 or so.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Direct Ebooks
Hibernian eBook Warrior
Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.Direct Ebooks is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
and offer ePub support for library downloads. But I don't see either of those happening. :
We supply eBooks to Amazon for our Publishers and they have been accepting ePub files for a while now.......
Direct Ebooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
The WSJ just made the announcement:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92461
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:47 PM   #10
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
I wonder if this is driving more store traffic at Target?
In the years I've been at Target I've seen maybe 2 Sony Readers sell.

Since the Kindle has been at Target my store alone has sold 15+ (I don't know the exact number since there is no way to track every truck). This is even more impressive since the current store I am at is a low volume store.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Well, I guess the odds are now 100%.
Smaller, lighter, and cheaper.
And a better screen.

Sony is now on the clock.
Tic...tic...tic...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote