Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #1
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Easy Backup Question

I have 961 books in Calibre, and I couldn't manage them without Calibre. I am sure there is an easier way to back up than what I am doing.

As soon as I buy a new book, I save it to my desktop, remove DRM, and import it into Calibre. Then I delete it from my desktop,. Every week, I backup my computer. I also copy Calibre onto an SD card. Each week I erase the SD card, and highlight all my books, and choose save to disk. Is there a way to just save the books added since the last backup?
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Are you on a windows PC?

You could open a command window and use

xcopy *.* e:\SDCARDPATH /d

But, that might be a bit slow because I still think it has to compare the file dates on all the files.. but it will only copy those files with newer dates.

You could also use:

xcopy *.* e:\SDCARDPATH /M

this reads the Archive attribute. This is a built in file attribute that is designed for backup software. When you create a new file it is set on. When you copy the file with the command above it is set off. The command only copies files with the attribute and it removes the attribute after it copies. Also, if you modify a file the attribute is set again.

How big is your library? You might want to use dropbox which will back up your files to the "cloud" automatically. It is free for up to 2GB and happens on the fly.

If you want to get a dropbox account let me know... I will send you an invite which will give me some free extra space.

Baring the above you could use a real backup program. Something like Crash Plan which is free (if you don't pay for the online storage).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm doing what BOb says. I have a Calibre folder saved on Dropbox which makes it available to all 3 computers. I then use Goodsync to sync each computer with Dropbox. You can choose a 2-way or 1-way sync in either direction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	goodsync.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	43406  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:25 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I'm doing what BOb says. I have a Calibre folder saved on Dropbox which makes it available to all 3 computers. I then use Goodsync to sync each computer with Dropbox. You can choose a 2-way or 1-way sync in either direction.
Yes, good sync is a great little program.

But, erm... why do you use goodsync to dropbox? Why not just put your calibre library into your dropbox?

BOb
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes, good sync is a great little program.

But, erm... why do you use goodsync to dropbox? Why not just put your calibre library into your dropbox?

BOb
It is there but I have 3 computers and I want access even when I don't have a Wi-Fi connection. If something should happen and Dropbox goes down, I'm still covered.

I also have them uploaded to my website so that I can use ftp to access them directly from my Kindle (I have to manually sync that one).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I will try it. PBob, I will PM you with an email. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Thanks. I will try it. PBob, I will PM you with an email. Thank you!
Invite sent!

BOb
Old 01-14-2010, 08:04 PM   #8
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Thanks Daffy and pilotbob. I feel so much better. I used Crashplan to save my ebook file to my SD card, and saved my ebook file to Dropbox. And I backup my entire computer to an HD every Saturday (sounds like someone lost some data once!)

Calibre is such a wonderful program! I didn't start using it until a couple months ago, when I had about 700 books, and it seemed like a lot of work to get it set up. But I added 200 books since, and now I don't know what I would do without it. Amazon can keep its folders, I just want Calibre!
Old 01-14-2010, 10:03 PM   #9
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Calibre is such a wonderful program! I didn't start using it until a couple months ago, when I had about 700 books, and it seemed like a lot of work to get it set up. But I added 200 books since, and now I don't know what I would do without it. Amazon can keep its folders, I just want Calibre!
"Hey Lucy... you ga sum readin' ta do!"

BOb
Old 01-15-2010, 02:12 AM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It is there but I have 3 computers and I want access even when I don't have a Wi-Fi connection. If something should happen and Dropbox goes down, I'm still covered.
I'll have to check out goodsync.

I have my dropbox syncing on 4 computers. Two at work and two at home. Now that dropbox has LAN sync the sync time between computers on the same LAN is fast.

I not only have my Calibre library in dropbox but Calibre as well. Add to that most of the portableapps.com programs and I have a steady set of apps available and synced between all 4 machines.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #11
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Quote:
"Hey Lucy... you ga sum readin' ta do!"

BOb
The only response I can come up with is stuffing the books in my mouth! Eating them would certainly be faster! Seriously, I read 200+ books last year, the first year with my kindle. I love it!
Old 01-15-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've been using SyncToy 2.1 to synchronize my backups to my eBooks. It's free from Microsoft. And it doesn't overwrite anything that's not changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
I use Carbonite to back up all of my data online. It quietly works automatically in the background and only uploads when there is no other activity on the computer. It costs only $55/year, well worth it since you don't have to remember to do your backups. This is not a replacement for full system backups since all it will back up is data but it does ensure that all data is currently backed up, something weekly, or even daily, backups will not fully do. A broadband connection is required.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livedrive View Post
Try <<NO FREE AD FOR YOU>> they give you unlimited storage and backup. Dropbox only gives you 2GB not enough to backup all your music, photos and videos. They have a 2 week free trial which does not require entering your credit card details. Their software is really easy to use and backs up your files on your computer without you even noticing. They also offer some of the most comprehensive features of any online storage software such as being able to stream your entire collection of music and videos straight onto your iPhone or iPad. Check it out!
That's a bit misleading isn't it? While DropBox gives you 2GB that is for a FREE account. Your web site mentioned nothing about a free account.

Also, if you want sync from <<REDACTED>> it appears you need the "briefcase" service. So, $18 a month compared to free changes things a bit.

Also, with dropbox from referring other people my DB is up to 5.5GBs which is plenty to hold my ebook library, all my documents and some other stuff too. I am very happy with DropBox.

Of course, if a full PC backup is what you are looking for yes there are less expensive services. Crashplan looks to have the best prices/service if you have multiple PCs to back up.

I hope you didn't just come here to advertise your service.

BOb

Last edited by pilotbob; 08-02-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM   #15
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I hope you didn't just come here to advertise your service.
BOb,

The post you quoted has been apparently deleted as spam. You might want to delete the link from the quote and not give them further free advertising.

Nice info in your post.

Just for the record I am now up to 7.5G of free space on my Dropbox.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote