Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 10:42 PM   #1
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Swapping memory cards

I wasn't sure where this would go in the forums and I really haven't seen anyone else bring it up but if I'm in the wrong spot please correct me.

I just bought a reader for my friend (a prs-505 of course) who lives in Las Vegas, and along with her reader I sent one of my memory cards so she could (hopefully) save herself the cost of a few books if she happens to like any of mine.

Does anyone else do that? I don't know if doing that kind of stuff "upsets" the whole copyright thing or not, but I wouldn't think so. It's just like borrowing or sharing a real book. I was just wondering...if I bought a book I didn't end up liking and wanted to sell it or give it away would that pose a copyright problem?

Can I get someone else's take on the whole idea of swapping/borrowing/selling memory cards?
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Unless it's your only copy, it's probably not strictly legal.

Even if it is your only copy, some publishers might object if they found out.

Morally, I have no problem with sharing books. Most of my greatest book discoveries have been through borrowed books. For living authors, if your friend likes what you've given her, she'll probably go buy their next one, so it's all good.

For dead ones - well, I think that's between you and your conscience. Just don't distribute stuff wholesale and you shouldn't get into trouble over it.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
From my perspective, the issue is that when we purchase e-books we are not purchasing the file, but the right to use the file (a license model). With p-books, you're purchasing the physical product, which is then yours to do with as you see fit. With a license model, there are restrictions on what can legally be done with the license.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
From my perspective, the issue is that when we purchase e-books we are not purchasing the file, but the right to use the file (a license model). With p-books, you're purchasing the physical product, which is then yours to do with as you see fit. With a license model, there are restrictions on what can legally be done with the license.

Except, Doreen, the 'license model' has never held up in court, so the legality of loaning or reselling ebooks is still rather gray.

You can resell used software, loan it, etc, even though the distributors *say* you only have a license and they still control your use of it. This is not legal on their part.

There are a lot of myths about copyright that certain copyright holders want you to believe (the license myth being one of them) that have no legal basis at all. No matter what the EULA says. A contract that is inherently illegal is not legally binding.

I've never actually loaned out an ebook, but I would have no qualms about doing so for someone I trusted to erase the file once they were done reading it. Mass file-sharing is another story - not legal, nor should it be, IMHO.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I stand by my original statement. I'm not going to become one of the people who test the legalities of sharing a license that is purchased under the agreement that it's not transferrable.

And the MRIA has won at least one major case on the illegalities of a similar practice.

People will do what they want, but it's not legal from where I sit.
Advert
Old 07-02-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Not coming to a complete stop at a stop sign is also not legal & I doubt that there is anyone on these forums who drives who has not failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign at some time in their life's driving. (There a number of other similar situations as well.) I also doubt that very many people would condemn you for that failure.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 PM   #7
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010

There have been dozens of threads on this topic. I don't think any minds have been changed on it since the dawn of MR.
Old 07-03-2009, 01:39 AM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Legality aside, I'm not sure it's possible. I thought the ebooks were tied to our hardware, one way or another. If you bought them from Sony, then I think they're limited to hardware registered to your account. If you bought them from Books On Board (ADE), the Adobe initialization ties them to your computer and Reader (I think - I don't like Adobe's DRM, so I don't use them).

Now, if you're buying DRM-free ebooks...well, back to your regular programming, already in progress.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #9
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Legality aside, I'm not sure it's possible. I thought the ebooks were tied to our hardware, one way or another. If you bought them from Sony, then I think they're limited to hardware registered to your account. If you bought them from Books On Board (ADE), the Adobe initialization ties them to your computer and Reader (I think - I don't like Adobe's DRM, so I don't use them).

Now, if you're buying DRM-free ebooks...well, back to your regular programming, already in progress.
I put the books I had on my pro duo card and found (to my understanding)that even though another person could read the books on that card on another reader, the books I buy are linked to my credit card number. Can she take the books off my memory card and put them in her Sony library? I am not quite sure and that is up to her discretion; if she just wants to read my books I see no problem with that. Now if I were stripping the DRM and putting my e-books online I see the issue. Obviously. But this woman is someone I trust and besides, she couldn't strip them and put them online b/c she would need my credit card # to do so, which she does not have. This is strictly for her to read, not to redistribute.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #10
khalleron
Kate

Ereader books are linked to your credit card. LRX books purchased through the Sony Store are linked to your account. I don't think she'll be able to read them unless her reader is also registered to your account - which you can do within the Sony TOS, so there's no question - it's legal AND allowed by the license.

It's also not possible to strip DRM from LRX books.