Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-24-2014, 09:28 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I'll second The Glory of Their Times.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:24 AM   #32
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
I'll third The Glory of Their Times.
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 08:32 AM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
What? No love for The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #34
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'll second The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 06:09 PM   #35
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just wish I had access to it other than purchasing it. There are several selections I would have seconded if I had free access (library or otherwise). I don't feel right voting/nominating something I know I won't be able to read.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2014, 06:22 PM   #36
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I'll third The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:04 AM   #37
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I'll second Gaviotas and In the Realm of Hungry Ghosts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
A pity I only have 3 votes and they've all been used. That sounds right up my alley.
Thanks Tom; hopefully it still might make it. I haven't read any books like this in a long while and it sounds very interesting.

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-27-2014 at 12:58 AM.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 01:14 AM   #38
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
...Thanks Tom; hopefully it still might make it. I haven't read any books like this in long while and it sounds very interesting.
I hope so, too. The authors, one of whom is a professor of archeology in Israel and the other of whom is a contributing editor to Archaeology Magazine, have the street cred to pull this one off nicely. It's been my experience with such works that they rarely present anything that's unknown to scholars and serious students of the Bible, but nonetheless contain fascinating information that surprisingly—even in this day of Biblical saturation in the media—remains virtually unknown by not only the rank-and-file members of churches, synagogues, and mosques, but by the general public as well.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #39
Mims
Addict
Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mims ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, iPads,IPhone,Aura H2O,PW3
I'll third The Bible Unearthed.
Mims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:43 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I'll nominate John Wayne: The Life and Legend by Scott Eyman.

From Amazon:

Quote:
John Wayne was one of Hollywood’s most famous and most successful actors, but he was more than that. He became a symbol of America itself. He epitomized the Western film, which for many people epitomized America. ...
Available at libraries everywhere.*

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...9-DD7260F61E84
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #41
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that there's a delay on the shipping date on one of the books I nominated, Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanins of Life by Daniel Bennett. Now it appears from an email I got today that it won't be arriving until July 8, which is cutting things a bit close the date of our discussion for a book of this size and type.

Quote:
Hello from Amazon.com,

We're writing because an unexpected delay has occurred in delivering the Kindle version of the book listed below:

Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanins of Life

Link to the Kindle Title: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KU4PWPY

The old delivery date was: 7/1/14.

The new delivery date is: 7/8/14.

We'll keep your pre-order open on your account and deliver the title to your Kindle as soon as the publisher releases the digital version.

As a reminder, you can always change, cancel, or view the status of your orders in Your Account here:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/digital/yo...r-history.html

We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this delay.

Sincerely,
Customer Service Department
Amazon.com
http://www.amazon.com

Please note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.
Old 06-29-2014, 01:25 AM   #42
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I'll nominate John Wayne: The Life and Legend by Scott Eyman.

From Amazon:

Available at libraries everywhere.*

http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...9-DD7260F61E84
Too many on the wait list. We'd never get it in time to be able to read it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 08:03 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Unless there are any more nominations between now and midnight EST it looks as though they'll only be six nominations this month, but those six represent a good mix of choices: three on science, two on recent history, and one on Biblical history from the perspective of archeology and higher criticism.
Old 06-30-2014, 10:36 PM   #44
bfisher
Wizard
bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bfisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Galaxy (Aldiko, Kobo app)
Excellent set of nominations, even if only six - a tough choice.
bfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:45 AM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

And that's it: The July nominations are closed. Poll coming soon.