Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 08:14 PM   #1
mazzie50
mazzie50 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I know you can buy a kindle from amazon but can u use it in Australia?

I am thinking of buying a Kindle from Amazon but i am worried if it
will work in Australia? Would i have to get a different usb charger to charge it
in Australia?
mazzie50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #2
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzie50 View Post
I am thinking of buying a Kindle from Amazon but i am worried if it
will work in Australia? Would i have to get a different usb charger to charge it
in Australia?
There probably won't be a problem. You just need to get the little gizmo to change the plug.

But where are you planning to buy it from, and what model? If you are buying a used original Kindle, for example, the cell-phone-based internet will not work. If you are buying it in China, I think the plug is the same.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
terencek
Groupie
terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.terencek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
All Kindles charge from USB ports, and thus are entirely international. If you prefer not to charge it from your computer, you can buy a wide variety of USB chargers which will work, using either 220v or 12v input, no worries!
terencek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Will work fine, you will just need an adapter to plug it in to our outlet (angled copnnection) or charge by USB. Voltage is fine. 3G is fine.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:14 AM   #5
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Welcome to MobileRead forums.

I use my Kindle 3 in Tasmania, recharge it with the charger I use for my Sony, and download the occasional ebook from Amazon through my home wi-fi.

It's been so long that I can't remember how I registered it, but I do remember there was no problem at all.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You just register it in the usual way. There's nothing different required.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:05 AM   #7
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
According to Sabredog, an Australian member here, there are some georestrictions that you might want to consider before you register the device, hence buy it unregistered so you control the registration process.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 AM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
According to Sabredog, an Australian member here, there are some georestrictions that you might want to consider before you register the device, hence buy it unregistered so you control the registration process.
Or simply add an USA address to your account and set the kindle to that address.
(PS, I am in Australia too! )
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
If you want to get one of those that are available in the US only (like the new paperwhite or HD), then you can use www.shipito.com or www.usunlocked.com. Both provide you with a US address US only Amazon items can be shipped to and they ship items to you from their warehouses at very reasonable rates. If it is just to get a Kindle registered to a US account, then there are easy ways to re-register your existing Kindle, as mentioned above.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #10
TongueTied
Zealot
TongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic somethingTongueTied has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
You can even buy Kindles at Dick Smiths in just about any city or large town here so the answer is yes. You can even use your Australian address but your book selection will be limited to those books that Amazon has agreements or rights to sell here. You may hit a book that isn't available but generally, you wont notice.
TongueTied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:46 AM   #11
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
Generally, you will be spoilt for choice and rarely notice the occasional regional restriction on available books from Amazon. You can also but ebooks from a number of other outlets.

Your Kindle will come with a USB cable which can be plugged into you PC/laptop for charging, but you can also include an Australian power adaptor with your order from Amazon, if you do not already have one. It has a USB socket on the side, and you simply plug the supplied USB cable into it, if you want to charge directly from mains power.

Some folk think that charging from mains power is faster than charging from the USB port on your PC/laptop, although I have never noticed this myself.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote