Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
kindle with special offers - realistic battery life

I'm considering buying the kindle with special offers that is currently $79. These are my thoughts. The 5-way controller seems like an inefficient way to enter text, but I don't plan on entering too much text, so that should be OK. I like the page turn buttons better than an exclusively touchscreen. I love the price. I can't see storing more than 1,500 books on the device at a time--I can always archive to make more room. What I'm currently wondering about is battery life as measured in reading time. I currently have a nook 1st generation that gets approx. 14 hours of reading time before needing a recharge with wifi on, which means I generally recharge it every 1-3 days (I read usually 3-5 hours a day, sometimes more). Sounds like this kindle gets the same realistically the same battery life. However, if the 15 hours are spread over 1 month, that might mean you get more time up-front as battery life is consumed over hours that the kindle sleeps? What have voracious readers observed about realistic battery life of this kindle model over, say, a FEW days of heavy use? Anyone got 20 hours or anything like that?

Thanks.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I use mine almost every day. And usually for a good 30 minutes to an hour, sometimes more. And, with wifi turned on, I'm still only charging MAYBE once a month. I've never really sat down and tried to keep a log of how much time I'm actually reading, though, so I can't give you any real HARD numbers.

I have the Keyboard model, not the new non-touch model, so YMMV.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #3
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Hi Joykins,

I don't log the number of hours I read but I do have the Kindle 4 non-touch that you're considering. I'd say my experience is prett much the same as RainingLemur. I charge it maybe once a month. I read at least an hour a day, sometimes more, sometimes less. It barely registers on the battery meter after a few days.

After a couple of weeks of an hour or so a day it shows battery level at half life. I could see someone easily getting 20 hours on it. I'm sure having wifi on will use more battery power too.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

They are advertising 2 months (30 h) on a charge for the kindle keyboard, but 1 (15 h) month for the cheap kindle.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle effectively uses no battery power in sleep mode (provided you turn the WiFi off); it really is only reading time that counts.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Joykins
Wizard

That's interesting. I gauged the nook as using about 0.3% per hour in sleep mode.
Old 01-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I've left my Kindle asleep for weeks; when I've turned it on again the battery level has been just as it was when I left it. The Kindle's sleep mode genuinely does use as near to zero power as you can get.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I reading on my K4 heavily. I get 15 to 17 days before I need to recharge.
I read about 3 to 5 hours sometimes 8 hours if I can't put the book down. I usually read during the week as weekends hubby is home.

My K3 just sits on its shelf lonely. I have found if you don't use a K3 you get two months before it needs to be charged again.

Last edited by Blossom; 01-08-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:47 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I charge my Touch about once a week, but I read mostly at night with the cover light on, and that sucks up a lot of power.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:01 PM   #10
Rainmaker
Zealot
Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Rainmaker can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
I'm considering buying the kindle with special offers that is currently $79. These are my thoughts. The 5-way controller seems like an inefficient way to enter text, but I don't plan on entering too much text, so that should be OK. I like the page turn buttons better than an exclusively touchscreen. I love the price. I can't see storing more than 1,500 books on the device at a time--I can always archive to make more room. What I'm currently wondering about is battery life as measured in reading time. I currently have a nook 1st generation that gets approx. 14 hours of reading time before needing a recharge with wifi on, which means I generally recharge it every 1-3 days (I read usually 3-5 hours a day, sometimes more). Sounds like this kindle gets the same realistically the same battery life. However, if the 15 hours are spread over 1 month, that might mean you get more time up-front as battery life is consumed over hours that the kindle sleeps? What have voracious readers observed about realistic battery life of this kindle model over, say, a FEW days of heavy use? Anyone got 20 hours or anything like that?

Thanks.
I don't know if someone told you this already, but usually most connectivity, either 3G, Edge, Wifi or Bluetooth, will drain battery for any device, the significance depends on the device, notebooks won't feel a great difference, but mobilephones and eReaders will.
You should always have it turned off, unless you are using it (download~update, browse, or upload a comment).

With that in mind; I would say from my personal experiencie with my K3 and what I've read mostly here, that the average span is of 1 month. It really depends on how much you use it, but you shouldn't need to recharge it for less than every 2 weeks.
Rainmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
I have a keyboard KSO, and I've found the battery charge, with wifi off, to be closer to 2 weeks for me. But I read A LOT, kind of like Blossom--it's pretty much always going to be to 2-3 hours a day, and some days will be quite a bit longer. When I took it to Germany this summer, I charged it once during my 10 day trip, but I didn't really HAVE to charge it, I was just super paranoid about battery power running out and what if I was on the plane? I didn't read quite as much in Germany as I usually do (hey, I was on vacatiion) but more than you would think because my in-laws don't speak English!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:04 AM   #12
SamReading
SamReading began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4, Calibre, Mobipocket for PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker View Post
I don't know if someone told you this already, but usually most connectivity, either 3G, Edge, Wifi or Bluetooth, will drain battery for any device, the significance depends on the device, notebooks won't feel a great difference, but mobilephones and eReaders will.
You should always have it turned off, unless you are using it (download~update, browse, or upload a comment).

With that in mind; I would say from my personal experiencie with my K3 and what I've read mostly here, that the average span is of 1 month. It really depends on how much you use it, but you shouldn't need to recharge it for less than every 2 weeks.
Correct. I've been using K4 for over a month. The battery indicator is just below half way mark. I switch on WiFi only when I need it. WiFi is the only battery drainer for a K4, especially when you are out of coverage.

I have always kept my K4 on. The sleep mode doesn't consume battery.

The 5-way controller is not much of a hassle for me, because I'm not the type who does a lot of notes/searching while reading. I just like it the plain old-fashioned way of reading. Just reading.

I would give a big to K4SO.
SamReading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
asciibaron
Connoisseur
asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.asciibaron will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle 4 NT SO
my wife's K4 was fully charged on Christmas and recharged last night for the first time (wifi off). she reads 2 hours a day during the week and 4-5 hours on weekends. so in 14 days she read for nearly 40 hours.

she likes to read.
asciibaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post

Thanks.
It should have better battery life than your nook. The nook has that half LCD screen which sucks up a lot of battery.

The drawback is the kindle 4 has no replaceable battery. You can't even replace the battery by opening up the unit, like you can with the k3. This is according to someone who did a teardown of the k4.

On the bright side, $79 is cheap enough that by the time the battery dies, you can get a k5 for $49 dollars probably.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote