Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you like a diary on the KT? If yes, which input method?
[Opinion] No, I don't want that. 21 70.00%
[Opinion] I would like it! 6 20.00%
[Input] Sketch + stylus 5 16.67%
[Input] virtual keyboard 5 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
Benjamin Buford
Nameless Being

What about a diary on the Kobo Touch?

What do you guys think: Would it be cool to have a diary feature on the Kobo Touch?

In the evening, you lie in bed, but you don't feel like reading. Instead, you grab your KT and write down what's on your mind, what has happenend during your day/week/month. Privately, just to yourself, no Facebook, no friends.

Sketch and a stylus could be used for input, or the virtual keyboard.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
While it would be easy enough to add some simple organizer functions to the Kobo Touch, like a diary and maybe even a calendar, I think it would detract from Kobo's focus on reading.. After all, nothing is without cost: the Kobo dev team would have to spend time developing and debugging it, people would want it to sync with other apps, they would complain about bugs and ask for new features, and it would end up taking effort away from the reading-related features that are more important to us. This is the unfortunately down-side of having a closed device with proprietary software - you can't leave it up to others to develop additional apps.

But seeing as how they threw in a Sketch app in 1.9.6, it wouldn't seem to be much of a stretch to provide a simple text note-taking app. Maybe that would be sufficient for what you want, and it might be helpful in general.

Have you considered hand-writing your diary using the Sketch app?
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
macdonald79
macdonald79 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I don't think it would be fun typing for than a few words on a touch screen. Heck, I don't like touch screens. Period.
macdonald79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #4
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdonald79 View Post
I don't think it would be fun typing for than a few words on a touch screen. Heck, I don't like touch screens. Period.
Kindle user I see.

To each their own, but the reality is that a whole generation of smartphone and tablet users have gotten pretty accustomed to typing on a touch screen.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #5
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
While it would be easy enough to add some simple organizer functions to the Kobo Touch, like a diary and maybe even a calendar, I think it would detract from Kobo's focus on reading.. After all, nothing is without cost: the Kobo dev team would have to spend time developing and debugging it, people would want it to sync with other apps, they would complain about bugs and ask for new features, and it would end up taking effort away from the reading-related features that are more important to us. This is the unfortunately down-side of having a closed device with proprietary software - you can't leave it up to others to develop additional apps.

But seeing as how they threw in a Sketch app in 1.9.6, it wouldn't seem to be much of a stretch to provide a simple text note-taking app. Maybe that would be sufficient for what you want, and it might be helpful in general.

My thoughts exactly.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2011, 10:12 AM   #6
ladybugh
Enthusiast
ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladybugh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Sage and Elipsa
I wouldn't mind it more as a notepad feature instead.
ladybugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #7
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post

Theres an idea... hand writing recognigtion... possible here?
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote