Notices

Old 03-03-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
A total wipe clean?

G'day all,
As long as I am using my 903 I have always updated my system to the next version.
But I am wondering now: would it be possible to wipe the system entirely off of the 903 Pro and install a fresh image on it?

The very reason why I want to do this, is due to the problems I encountered in the following thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=167926

All comments are welcome
TIA
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:05 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I suppose nobody here knows the answer to that.

If you're willing to be a guinea pig for us, you could try wiping out everything in /mnt/ext1 via USB just before copying over the new firmware file. I wouldn't worry about wiping out any SD card you use; there is no system stuff that goes there. Dictionaries and TTS files are in a hidden partition, so you don't have to worry about losing those.

I'm not sure this won't leave your machine in a hung state once you unplug the USB cable, so I'd make sure the new firmware was copied over before unplugging the cable.

Again, I stress that I've never done anything like this, so my suggestion could be totally wrong and cause you much grief. Please keep that in mind!
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekvb View Post
G'day all,
As long as I am using my 903 I have always updated my system to the next version.
But I am wondering now: would it be possible to wipe the system entirely off of the 903 Pro and install a fresh image on it?
Sure, did it once when I returned my device for repair. Just go to maintenance section on the device and format the internal FAT-disc. After the format the Firmware (FW) will copy a fresh image to the internal FAT-disc with some basic configuration and will start if it was the same when you started if for the first time (you need to accept the licence, configure language etc). Make sure you made a backup of the internal disc because everything on it will be wiped! One thing though. Some older versions of the FW didn't correctly format the internal FAT-disc but I don't how serious that bug was. Which FW are you now using?
dtanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
J.C.
Addict
J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.J.C. could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: ONYX BOOX Note Air3 C
Just remember that formating the internal memory and or installing new firmware doesn't return the device to factory state.
For example if you haven't already lost those dictionaries that pocketbook ambushed us with (saying they expired and deleting them with a firmware update) or the default books that came with the device, you'll probably loose them.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #5
dtanis
Enthusiast
dtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud ofdtanis has much to be proud of

Device: PocketBook Pro 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
Just remember that formating the internal memory and or installing new firmware doesn't return the device to factory state.
For example if you haven't already lost those dictionaries that pocketbook ambushed us with (saying they expired and deleting them with a firmware update) or the default books that came with the device, you'll probably loose them.
You're right that formatting the internal FAT-partition doesn't restore the device to factory state. It only restores the basic configuration and the device manuals (but not the pre-installed books) . About the dictionaries I can say the following. All dictionaries stored in the system/dictionaries folder on the FAT-partition will be gone but the pre-installed dictionaries on the secure partition in the internal memory (which can't be seen by the user or accessed via the PC and can only be accessed by certain pre-installed applications like Adobe Reader etc.) are not lost. I tested it myself. So if you make a complete backup (including the system dir) of the internal FAT-partition, you can always restore the additional dictionaries which were the stored on the FAT-partition later.

You're right that after upgrading the FW you can lose some of the pre-installed dictionaries on the secure partition. I don't find this a real problem anymore. There are a lot free dictionaries (or dictionary sources which can be converted nicely) around on the net which have a better quality and have more words than the pre-installed versions, especially for European languages. So, if you're afraid that you're going to lose a dictionary by upgrading, then just search for a replacement on the net. The Babylon free dictionaries (http://www.babylon.com/free-dictionaries/) is a good source to find a good replacement dictionary. These dictionaries can be converted nicely to the PB dictionary format.
dtanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:31 AM   #6
jekvb
Connoisseur
jekvb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 Pro; Android: PocketBook & ReadEra
It Works!

Thanks DTanis, your suggestion worked.
After having backed up some .cfg files, dictionary's and logo's in /system dir, and placing FW 2.1.2 with fast display driver in the root of external memory, I did a format.

Within a few minutes I got a brandnew system back.
However, the issue I had which made me do this format still exists.... :-(
Anyway, I 'll update the other post which described that issue with further notes.

Thanks everybody!
jekvb is offline   Reply With Quote