Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-20-2022, 06:29 PM   #1
psychobillie
psychobillie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Question Actual file size?

I was trying to figure out how big my library was to gauge my space remaining on my Kobo (16gb total). I couldn't see a quick/easy way to do that so I just looked at the properties of the folder of my library, but it was 110gb!! My largest book is no more than 30mb and most are under/around 1, and even if all of my books were 15mb it wouldn't even hit a quarter of that (between 1000-1500 books atm). Where's the extra size coming from? It's not an issue on my pc, but how much is being sent to my device, especially given that I make frequent use of the "embed Metadata" option? Is there any way to view the size my library/selected books will be on a device?
psychobillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Take a look at the cover image files and metadata.opf files in each book directory. Then add in the full-text-search.db, metadata.db and the metadata...backups.json file in the root of the library directory.

Currently my intake library has 40 epubs taking up 44.5MB, the directories those epubs are stored in take up 60.0MB, the full text search database takes 64.9MB plus the rather tiny metadata.db and metadata...backups.json in the root of the library directory.

With your Kobo mounted, you should be able to check the disk space used with the standard OS tools.

Also note that the USB exposed partition on your Clara 2E will be smaller than 16GB since there are partitions for the system and factory restore that are not exposed.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-20-2022 at 07:07 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2022, 07:02 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Something like RidNacs may help track down what's eating up the space.

If you use full-text search, check the size of full-text-search.db in the root of your library folder; it can take up a not-insignificant amount of space.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2022, 02:30 AM   #4
psychobillie

Thank you both, I will try that with WinDirStat. I don't use full text search, and as far as I can tell, my whole library seems to be on my Kobo now with no issue.
Old 10-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #5
psychobillie

I think I found the cause: when I try to read the size of the folder for the first time, it for some reason gives me the size of the entire documents folder of which it is a subfolder. Once I exit and return, then it displays the correct size of only the data in that folder. Unsure why.
Advert

Tags
calibre, file bloat, help for a newbie, size issues