Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
One-handed operation?

Just wondering how one-handed friendly the Pocket Edition is? My Target has them on display, but so locked down that I couldn't tell how ergonomic it was to hold in one hand and use the center 5 way.

I found the PRS-700 way too top-heavy to operate one-handed using the buttons. Just wondering if the Pocket can be balanced more easily in one hand, since it weighs less.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:33 PM   #2
elmago79
elmago79 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
It all depends on which hand your using, and the size of your hand. If you're right handed, and have medium sized hands, it's a bliss. If you have very big hands, it's a little hard to manipulate, and with small hands, your thumb misses the sweet spot.
elmago79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
One handed operation.. get it?!??
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 03:01 AM   #4
ReD
Enthusiast
ReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toysReD shares his or her toys

Device: Sony PRS-700, PRS-300, PRS-T1, Kobo Arc
I have a 700 and a 300. Because of its size, the 300's centre of gravity is much closer to your palm so it is extremely easy to hold one-handed using either hand. I find that my thumb sits quite naturally in the middle button of the arrow pad. In fact, I love the ease of use and clarity of the 300 so much that I've barely given my 700 a glance in the past three months!
ReD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReD View Post
I find that my thumb sits quite naturally in the middle button of the arrow pad.
This is encouraging.

Quote:
with small hands, your thumb misses the sweet spot.
This gives me pause. My 13 yr old niece has bigger hands than I do.

Quote:
One handed operation.. get it?!??

I think I may just buy one on eBay for testing. That's what I did with the PRS-700, but I had no choice since it was discontinued.
Advert
Old 06-07-2010, 03:09 PM   #6
Elton Noway
Elton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enoughElton Noway will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
Just wondering how one-handed friendly the Pocket Edition is? ... how ergonomic to hold in one hand and use the center 5 way.

Just wondering if the Pocket can be balanced more easily in one hand, since it weighs less.
Very easy. I read mine in bed every night. Easy to hold, good balance, one hand, thumb controlled. FYI: I'm right handled. If you are left handed I would think one handed operation would be a stretch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
I think I may just buy one on eBay for testing.
Now might be a good time to look on eBay. Woot.com just sold 3,361 of them (factory refurbished) for $114 - delivered, back on May 19th... and another 123 of them on May 26th.

http://www.woot.com/blog/viewentry.aspx?id=12826

Quite a few woot buyers put their Woot buys on eBay with the hopes of making a few bucks.
Elton Noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
simplyparticular
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Quite a few woot buyers put their Woot buys on eBay with the hopes of making a few bucks.
That explains why there was an influx of refurbished listings over the weekend. I vaguely remember the woot offer being posted in the deals forum. Some of the sellers are crazy - they've got it listed at $170-199, which is crazy given that the Pocket is selling for $169 new, and the Touch is $199 right now.

I am right-handed, but I switch between my right and my left when I'm reading on my iPhone - nursing baby is in the other arm.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I have a 300, have not large hands, and am left-handed. I generally read one-handed. I do tend to use my right-hand when making selections on the 0 - 9 buttons, though.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #9
doog_smith
doog_smith doesn't litterdoog_smith doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
one-handed use

Funny enough, I was one of the recent Woot.com purchasers. I was traveling last week and used the Sony PRS-300 quite a bit for the first time. I have medium-sized hands and am right-handed. It was fairly comfortable to operate using just one hand. It was not too heavy. And, although I am right-handed, I frequently held it in my left hand, resting my left thumb across the bottom of the device to stabilize it and to change pages using the center directional button.
doog_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 PM   #10
ludovicus
ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ludovicus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5, Fire HD 10, Sony PRS-T1
I also have small hands, and have no problems reading my 300 with one hand. I'm also left-handed and find holding it with either hand equally comfortable.

One thing to note is that on the center directional button you can advance pages by pressing either the right or bottom arrows. (To go back a page the right and up arrows.)

You may want to see if there is a Sony Style store nearby, where you can see them untethered.

Good luck!
ludovicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:15 AM   #11
rudyt
Sony Reader
rudyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300 and PRS-505
I have no trouble holding the 300 one-handed using either hand. If you're not too queasy about reflashing, you can get the 7-8 keys on the right-hand side of the 300 to page up/down as well.

/rudy
rudyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elton Noway View Post
Now might be a good time to look on eBay. Woot.com just sold 3,361 of them (factory refurbished) for $114 - delivered, back on May 19th.
I bought two so they cut me a break $112.50 a piece. Shipping for two was the same cost as one.

I tried not to buy them, I got off shift at 8am and somehow resisted the temptation. I went to bed and didn't check the Woot site again until around 5pm and they still had stock. Most of the time they seem to be sold out by noon. I never had a chance. On the bright side my two kids have new ebooks.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #13
ngrant
Gadget Lover
ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ngrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Mobiscribe Origin, Fire HD tablets
I also got two units in the Woot deal, just to have a comparison with my jetBook Lite (that's my excuse, I have so little willpower when it comes to gadgets). The JBL and Sony e-ink screens are different, but equally pleasant to read. I like to alternate them so as to give my eyes a change and a rest as I spend all day looking at a computer screen. I find the Sony 300 works well in either hand, but the jetBook Lite I prefer to hold in my left hand (by its battery bump which provides a nice firm grip) and use the slider control to change pages. My hands are small, and I find these 5 inch readers perfect for reading; not that I would mind if someone GAVE me an iPad... (smile) but being a frugal sort of person (read = cheap) the $100 price point works better for me. My JBL cost me $115 at Newegg and the Sony Pocket $113 at Woot.
ngrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:46 PM   #14
simplyparticular
Guru

Thanks everyone! I'm going to take the plunge and pick up an eBay one. I've gotten really tired of individually adding books to my iPhone.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:16 PM   #15
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
Since it hasn't been brought up, and you haven't brought it up, the prs-600 is very one-hand friendly too. I only use two hands to take notes on it. I use my thumb to do the page turn gesture to flip the pages, and it's very easy. Not top heavy.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote