Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Portability of Kindle content across devices

I apologize in advance if this is a simple question. I recently purchased an Ipod Touch and have installed the Kindle Reader application. And now it has been announced that the Kindle reader software will be available for PCs (I have a netbook).

Can I purchase and download books now for my Ipod Touch and then, when, the PC application becomes available, read them on my netbook?

My understanding is that I register my Ipod Touch as my first device. Then later I could re-download the same book to my netbook as long as it is registered as my second device. Is this correct?

Searching through the forums, there appeared to be a limit of 6 devices. Is this simultaneous or lifetime? So after I have cycled through 6 devices, will I know longer be able to read the Kindle content?

These questions are important to me as there are some books I would only buy (e.g., travel guidebooks) if I can read them on both my Ipod and my PC but there is no way I would purchase them twice.

All of my accounts are registered in the USA and I am a USA resident, but I travel overseas 9 months per year and virtually all of my downloads would be outside of the USA (if that matters).

Thanks!
Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
A Windows PC will count as a separate device, and its Kindle ebook files will be locked to that particular PC. You can associate a new device (e.g. a Windows PC) with existing ebooks.

The limit is on simultaneous devices, but Amazon isn't setup to automatically handle unregistering a device from ebooks. Also some ebooks have a lower limit, which is listed on the ebook's web page on the Kindle store. See Amazon DRM limiting number of times you can download a book.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 05:58 PM   #3
travis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
A Windows PC will count as a separate device, and its Kindle ebook files will be locked to that particular PC. You can associate a new device (e.g. a Windows PC) with existing ebooks.

The limit is on simultaneous devices, but Amazon isn't setup to automatically handle unregistering a device from ebooks. Also some ebooks have a lower limit, which is listed on the ebook's web page on the Kindle store. See Amazon DRM limiting number of times you can download a book.
Thank you, wallcraft. I read through the whole thread and the later blog entry. So it appears that I will be able to purchase a book for my kindle-registered Ipod Touch. And then later re-download the same book, without paying again, for reading on my Kindle-registered netbook. And I will be able to read the same book simultaneously on these 2 devices (this latter point is critical to my reading experience).

I guess we have to view DRM as renting.

The one thing that really surprised me is that I do not know the maximum number of PIDs before I purchase a particular Kindle book. I am guessing that there are no Kindle books currently for sale that have been confirmed with a simultaneous PID limit of 3 or lower?

Travis
Old 10-24-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
JamesJoe
JamesJoe began at the beginning.

Device: None
Yep there is a DRM around Amazon content...

Last edited by JamesJoe; 10-25-2009 at 01:05 AM.
JamesJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 07:17 PM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
The one thing that really surprised me is that I do not know the maximum number of PIDs before I purchase a particular Kindle book.
If the limit is not 6, then it is listed. I have seen 5, but not less than that although there have been reports of a limit of 1. It is actually more usual to see unlimited (DRM-free). For example, search on Amazon for B000JQU7T4
Quote:
Product Details

* Format: Kindle Edition
* Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
Advert
Old 10-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
GJN
Guilty Bystander
GJN began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook Pro, Kindle, iPad, and other gadgets
And keep in mind that newspapers and magazines are locked to one single device. You can switch the device, but you can't re-download previously downloaded issues to the new device.

I find this limit fairly onerous because my wife and I can't share magazines without switching Kindles.
GJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #7
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
The limit is on simultaneous devices, but Amazon isn't setup to automatically handle unregistering a device from ebooks. Also some ebooks have a lower limit, which is listed on the ebook's web page on the Kindle store. See ="https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49371"]Amazon DRM limiting number of times you can download a book[/URL].
Wallcraft - are you sure about this? I didn't think there was a limit to number of times you could download something however, there is a limit on the number of devices you can download it to. Therefore, if I purchase a book at Amazon, and subsequently delete it 10 times, no problem. I can re-download that book infinite number of times back onto my Kindle.

If I have 7 Kindles or registered devices in my house, only 6 of them (Amazon's limit) can have the book on the device simulataneously. I may be wrong. Just wanted to get clarification because your words are somewhat confusing. Thanks!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilady1 View Post
If I have 7 Kindles or registered devices in my house, only 6 of them (Amazon's limit) can have the book on the device simulataneously.
Yes. The problem comes if you downloaded it to 6 devices, then deleted one of them, then try to download to a 7th device. In that case (at least the last time I saw any discussion of this issue) you have to call Amazon customer support and have them manually allow the download. The cases I saw were due to returned Kindles - when a Kindle is returned, or deregistered, all its downloads are (mistakenly) still counted against each individual ebook's download limit.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:20 PM   #9
travis
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJN View Post
And keep in mind that newspapers and magazines are locked to one single device. You can switch the device, but you can't re-download previously downloaded issues to the new device.

I find this limit fairly onerous because my wife and I can't share magazines without switching Kindles.
Thank you, this is a very important detail and certainly yet another disadvantage of Kindle DRM. I would prefer to read such content on both my Netbook and my Ipod.

Travis