Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-23-2018, 02:35 AM   #1
fcs12
fcs12 began at the beginning.

Device: Max 2
Max 2 display size vs Sony DPT-RP1

I just started using my new Max 2 and was surprised to see that the display is quite a bit less than a letter-size paper 8.5x11 inches (what I had thought all along before the purchase on Amazon). If someone have a Sony Digital Paper DPT-RP1, can you help to confirm if its display size is exactly letter sized (what Sony claims on their website)?

Many thanks.
fcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 10:13 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by fcs12 View Post
I just started using my new Max 2 and was surprised to see that the display is quite a bit less than a letter-size paper 8.5x11 inches (what I had thought all along before the purchase on Amazon). If someone have a Sony Digital Paper DPT-RP1, can you help to confirm if its display size is exactly letter sized (what Sony claims on their website)?
I doubt that the Sony does not use the ES133TT3 (check on Eink on Wikipedia).
Now, certainly 4:3 is not equivalent to 11:8.5, so overlapping is ruled out. Of course, it also would be for the √2:1 used in Europe. E-Ink displays are 4:3 for sizes in the order of sheets.

The ES133TT3 is measured as 270.60 x 202.95 mm or 10.67 x 8 '', which is both a diminished A4 and a diminished Letter. Since A4 and Letter paper sheets are printed including margins, the ES133TT3 can offer more real estate if compared to your actual average printed A4 ( ~18x27 cm ) or Letter ( ~7.5x10 '' ).

Last edited by mdp; 02-23-2018 at 10:27 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #3
fcs12
fcs12 began at the beginning.

Device: Max 2
Ok, interesting. If that's the case, the representation on Sony's website is blatantly misleading (thought I see similar claim for Onyx product as well). I like having those margins to write annotations and stuff, but well, need to live with what's available in the market.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/dig...specifications

Letter-size screen
Digital Paper has a 8.5" x 11" screen, so there's plenty of space for notes and annotations, and even to compare two documents alongside each other.
fcs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:25 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If that's the case, the representation on Sony's website is blatantly
[...]
Letter-size screen
Digital Paper has a 8.5" x 11" screen, so there's plenty of space for notes and annotations, and even to compare two documents alongside each other.
The collapse of Empires. Too big to be managed, chains too long to correct mistakes, correctness and precision seen as pathology, concession to falsehood and disregard for reputation, paternalistic communication to your clients, "why bother"...
Old 03-02-2018, 12:48 AM   #5
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Ok, interesting. If that's the case, the representation on Sony's website is blatantly misleading (thought I see similar claim for Onyx product as well). I like having those margins to write annotations and stuff, but well, need to live with what's available in the market.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/dig...specifications

Letter-size screen
The webpage specification clearly says:

Quote:
SCREEN SIZE
13.3" (338 mm) diagonal
Which is SMALLER than a letter size which has 13.9" ( 353mm) diagonal.

I don't see where it says it is letter sized other than in software, maybe? Notes and annotations have to be inside the screen area.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 03-02-2018 at 12:53 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2018, 12:57 AM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
The webpage specification clearly says:
[...]
Which is SMALLER than a letter size which has 13.9" ( 353mm) diagonal.

I don't see where it says it is letter sized other than in software, maybe?
The (Sony) webpage does/did say
Quote:
Letter-size screen
, I had checked. It's not formatted in the original post but it's a quote.

Last edited by mdp; 03-02-2018 at 01:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:39 AM   #7
Philippe D.
Addict
Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philippe D. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2o; reMarkable; Onyx Max 2 Pro
So it looks like they give accurate measurements in the specifications, but when it comes to writing the blurb, the marketing team takes over and approximate truths (a.k.a. lies, for the less polite types) are acceptable
Philippe D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 04:56 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
The (Sony) webpage does/did say

, I had checked. It's not formatted in the original post but it's a quote.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philippe D. View Post
So it looks like they give accurate measurements in the specifications, but when it comes to writing the blurb, the marketing team takes over and approximate truths (a.k.a. lies, for the less polite types) are acceptable
Ah, yes, I see. I usually do not (and had to go back and look) pay attention to any marketing blurb (or is it burp) when searching for specifications.

Makes perfect sense (even if it is wrong). There is a reason 14" CRT monitors were so popular, as they did allow a full page to be shown. Possibly the standard for epaper size is going to be the 13.3" now with a wrong aspect ratio of 4:3. (Hard to do with epaper, but how is one to fold paper airplanes correctly with a letter sized thing that changes aspect ratio everytime you fold it in half?)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 05:32 AM   #9
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
a wrong aspect ratio of 4:3
4:3 is beautiful. 4:3 is the aspect ratio you marry with proficiency, pun intended. The only good thing of 16:9 is that it gave inspiration for pocket devices, otherwise, it is just a doom of civilization. √2:1 is good on paper, pun intended (why, 11:8.5 counts? It's based on an average arm length!). I like it much more than 1: (1+√5)/2 , I don't care about that tradition anymore, call me when we will build the next temple. Oh, 4:3!

To be declaimed in shameless cheesy manners.
Old 03-05-2018, 02:14 PM   #10
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Quote:

Many thanks.
The Max 2 display approximates the international A4 format, which is 13,3 inch. True, the actual screen is slightly smaller, but if you crop white margins of the page you get the original dimensions of the writing, or even larger ones.

As far as I heard, the displays for both Onyx and Sony are produced in the same factory, which suggests they are very similar, if not identical.
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 01:24 AM   #11
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does anyone know the exact screen size (in inches) ?

When I use this calculator (input 13.3" with 4:3 aspect ratio) I get 10.64" x 7.98"

https://planetcalc.com/1890/

Is that correct?
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:03 AM   #12
Isurus
Isurus doesn't litterIsurus doesn't litter

Device: Quaderno A4 Gen2; Sage; Elipsa
My Sony DPT-RP1 measures 10.6" x 7.9" and my Max2 measures 10.7" x 7.9". Give or take eye parallax.
Isurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 08:06 PM   #13
John.Dorrian
Enthusiast
John.Dorrian began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air 2, Kindle KB, Onyx Boox Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
My Sony DPT-RP1 measures 10.6" x 7.9" and my Max2 measures 10.7" x 7.9". Give or take eye parallax.
Since you own both could you please provide some feedback on advantages and disadvantages of each ?
Does rather heavy onyx comfortable to hold and read laying in bed on one’s side?
If you have to choose which one would you prefer for academic PDFs reading?
Thanks for your time.

I don’t like how metal frame of onyx feels, unfortunately I couldn’t find a case similar to the case that can be placed on onyx 10.3” Note. It also has some additional protection.

I don’t like about Sony reader inability to transfer PDF files directly from computer to sony ereader

I like physical buttons on onyx, but I prefer the weight of Sony

Last edited by John.Dorrian; 02-27-2019 at 08:17 PM.
John.Dorrian is offline   Reply With Quote