Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: KT2 currently, soon PW3
Question New Calibre user questions

I have a KPVbooklet and KOreader installed on my Kindle KT2, so I do not have to convert other book formats to epub, although I have been. Is there a particular format better than the others for some reason, that I should convert my growing book collection to?

I am happy to copy ebooks over via USB, but I notice if I email them to my Kindle using Calibre instead they are in the cloud, visible on the Amazon website Manage Your Content and Devices, and there is an option to send to other devices, which would be useful should I ever have one. Unfortunately one book I email always creates two entires, the book itself displayed with the cover, but then a blank document with the book's name, which when I select starts another download. I have experimented with deleting the book from device using Calibre, then from the cloud, then manually with my computer, but whenever I resend the book again I end up with two entires - how can I correct this please? Is there a way to make the files I send appear in the cloud under the book section rather than documents?
firstname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 08:33 AM   #2
firstname
Enthusiast
firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.firstname solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Arrow

This is what I mean by two entires being created when I email a book to my KT2 with Calibre:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9wO9qOZ.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	162402

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2018 at 04:04 PM. Reason: image size
Advert
Old 02-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Moderator Notice
Please read the Guidelines (link at the bottom of most pages), in particular the one relating to image sizes. If you upload the images to MR then they will be shown as thumbnails that get displayed in an overlay when clicked.

Unfortunately, i can't help with your problem, I know nothing about Kindles.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-19-2018 at 04:07 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Moderator Notice
Please read the Guidelines (link at the bottom of most pages), in particular the one relating to image sizes. If you upload the images to MR then they will be shown as thumbnails that get displayed in an overlay when clicked.

Unfortunately, i can't help with your problem, I know nothing about Kindles.

BR
BR
He is using 3rd party apps on the K.

The solution may be better found at those App support sites.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:16 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR
About which I know even less. Didn't even know such a thing was possible, always assumed regular Kindles were a closed book to anything interloping on Bezos' baby

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2018, 12:48 AM   #6
firstname
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
BR

The solution may be better found at those App support sites.
But the action that causes the issue, is that of Calibre emailing a book.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:18 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstname View Post
But the action that causes the issue, is that of Calibre emailing a book.
But that action does not result in duplicates when using the stock kindle firmware. Indeed, since emailing basically hands off the emailed file to amazon's servers, calibre has zero control over what happens after that.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:35 AM   #8
firstname
Enthusiast

Question

I managed to remove the ebook and the duplicate link to download (which was very persistent this time) after many attempts and combinations of deleting from the cloud, reboots, redownloading, deleting with calibre, deleting with computer, and retransferring with calibre and from the cloud. I would delete from the cloud and it would just reappear seconds later, and remained visible on the Kindle until I finally removed it.

I then added a fresh copy to calibre and I have sent that without the same issue recurring.

My remaining questions are these:

What is the best format to use? Mobi, or perhaps AWZ?

I notice that if I do a convert with Calibre, and remove the personal document tag [PDOC] from mobi output, leaving this blank, and then copy over USB, my ebooks will appear correctly in the books tab rather than the documents tab, but unfortunately are not backed up to the Kindle cloud. If I instead do the same convert, and email the ebooks to my Kindle using Calibre, the books are backed up to the cloud, but are displayed incorrectly in the documents section, rather than books.

Is it possible for Calibre to transfer books to my Kindle, for them to appear correctly in the book section AND be backed up on the Kindle cloud?

Last edited by firstname; 02-20-2018 at 01:38 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:42 AM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

when you email a book, amazon reprocesses it so that it always appears as a personal document. And amazon does not allow sending of azw3 by email so the only possible format is MOBI, it's your choice whether to use dual or single format MOBIs, there are advantages and drawbacks to each, explained in many other threads.
Old 02-20-2018, 01:47 AM   #10
firstname
Enthusiast

Maybe transferring azw3 by USB would appear as books and get backed up to cloud by Kindle?
Old 02-20-2018, 05:08 AM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

No, amazon does not backup any files transferred by USB as far as I know.