Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-17-2018, 04:57 PM   #1
edtirck
edtirck began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
How to stop Calibre from running in background

I run Calibre (3.17) on two laptops (both with Windows 10), and the Library for each is stored in a Dropbox folder. On one laptop, when I quit Calibre, it stops running, but on the other, it continues to run in the background. (There's an icon in the notification tray, and I can click that and say "Quit" or "Exit", but otherwise it keeps running.) I'd like to make it quit altogether (without having to do so manually through the notification icon), because otherwise metadata.db doesn't sync properly.

I cannot find any setting anywhere to instruct Calibre to shut down completely when I close it. Any ideas?
edtirck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 05:07 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Is Preferences->Look and Feel->Enable system tray icon (needs restart) checked?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2018, 06:39 PM   #3
edtirck
edtirck began at the beginning.

Device: laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Is Preferences->Look and Feel->Enable system tray icon (needs restart) checked?

BR
Yes, that was the issue. Thanks a million. I think when I clicked that (some months ago), I was thinking that it was like iTunes - it minimizes to the system tray but it removes the icon from the tray when the program is closed.

It might be helpful to put something like this in the FAQ for Calibre.

Thanks again for your prompt help! Ed
edtirck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:42 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Eventually you will screw up your library. So stop putting it in an active Dropbox directory.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 07:10 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by edtirck View Post
Yes, that was the issue. Thanks a million. I think when I clicked that (some months ago), I was thinking that it was like iTunes - it minimizes to the system tray but it removes the icon from the tray when the program is closed.

It might be helpful to put something like this in the FAQ for Calibre.
In my experience the behaviour for most programs that have a 'show in tray' setting is that they don't exit when the main window is closed, they only exit when the Close/Exit/Quit option is selected from the tray icon's context menu. I run 20 applications in my tray, all of them behave that way.

IMO it's ITunes that's out of step with the normal behaviour, and considering where it comes from, that's no surprise

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2018, 11:39 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
I agree with BetterRed this is standard Windows behavior. That said, I bet if you write up a small item for the FAQ that Kovid would be glad to add it to the manual.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre in background, quit calibre