Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 AM   #1
sophie_
sophie_ began at the beginning.

Device: None
Impossibile to convert kindle to ePub

Hi, I’m new here, I’ve never experienced any issue converting my kindle books to ePub books before. Now, I purchased a book on Amazon and, as always, I converted it with Calibre to add it in my Ebooks reader. When I opened it on ebooks I discovered that every single page is cutted, only about 1/4 of it is visible. After this I tried to convert it with so many other apps, but the resulting ePub is always the same. Any of you have already experienced this? I’m thinking Amazon changed something to avoid conversion. I also tried to downgrade to an older version of Kindle but nothing changed.
Hope you can help, thank you for reading and sorry for my bad English 😊
sophie_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What are you using to obtain the Kindle book file? Kindle for PC/Mac, an eInk Kindle...??

"Kindle Format" can be a lot of different formats often using the same extension (Mobi, KF8/AZW3, KFW, Topaz, etc.) and it's possible you've run into one that can't be as easily converted (such as a new version of Kindle for PC downloading KFX).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You need to give more detail than Kindle to ePub. Kindle is not an eBook format. So please don't use Kindle as though it was an eBook format.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
sophie_

Sorry I forgot to tell you I use Kindle for Mac, I first tried with he latest version 1.21 and then with 1.17 but nothing changed. In both cases the format was azw.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Maybe it's a fixed layout KF8.
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 12:32 PM   #6
sophie_

Sorry but I’m not into this matter, I don’t understand what that means and what should I do.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

One thing is to tell us what book it is so someone can download a sample and try converting.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #8
sophie_

It’s “Le Grand Livre de la Boulangerie”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2DA74832-9FBB-411F-A53F-A61F3C4EC9C7.jpeg
Views:	193
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	162320  
Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #9
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
I took a look at the free sample on Amazon and it is definitely fixed layout.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
https://www.amazon.com/Grand-Livre-B.../dp/B077414HJM

If no one else gets a chance to look at it earlier, I'll give it a look tonight if I get some free time.

EDIT: Nevermind, I see jhowell's got it covered.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 02:50 PM   #11
sophie_

What does it mean? That is not convertible?
Old 02-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie_ View Post
Not easily and the effort it would take to convert it to not worth the effort. You'd have to be able to modify the code significantly to be able to convert it.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sophie_ View Post
Basically, fixed layout is page oriented like a pdf so the nearest equivalent without a lot of editing would be to an epub3 fixed layout which very few ereaders can handle. If you have a Kobo touchscreen ereader and rename the file from .epub to .fxl.kepub.epub, it will display a fixed layout epub3 properly.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 06:42 PM   #14
sophie_

I’ll never be able to modify the code, it’s so frustrating after I spent the money to be obligated to read it on kindle app since all my books are on Books library.
Old 02-15-2018, 08:34 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Is there anyway to look at an Amazon eBook listing and tell if it is fixed layout?