Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-11-2018, 10:27 PM   #1
LA_reader
LA_reader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paper white
Calibre problem

Calibre gives the error message that it Could not change the on disk location of this book
LA_reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:53 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think you'll need to give more details to have any chance of receiving useful advice.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2018, 11:20 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
"More Input" (Johny 5 - Short Circuit)

What are you TRYING to do?
What OS?
What version of Calibre?

AND the Biggie: Have you read the FAQ at the Calibre website (Click Help in Calibre: Select FAQ from the link)?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:43 AM   #4
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA_reader View Post
Calibre gives the error message that it Could not change the on disk location of this book
That message started popping up about three or four versions ago. I just ignore it and close out the error message box.

I'm not sure exactly what causes it, but it might have something to do with the .epub file being open when you open the editor. I haven't been able to figure out the exact cause, because it only occurs once in a while, so I didn't report it, since I had no details to give as to when it occurs.
deback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:13 AM   #5
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This message usually happen if something is blocking calibre to change a file.

Possible candidate's are AV, a program that block a open book (situation e.g. import a pdf, editing metadata and parallel open the book with Acrobat for extracting data, forgot to close the book and try to save metadata) or tools like CCleaner that clean up automatically temp files after closing a web browser while calibre is actually fetching news or converting a book). Things like that.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 11:56 AM   #6
deback
Book E d i t o r
deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
This message usually happen if something is blocking calibre to change a file.

Possible candidate's are AV, a program that block a open book (situation e.g. import a pdf, editing metadata and parallel open the book with Acrobat for extracting data, forgot to close the book and try to save metadata) or tools like CCleaner that clean up automatically temp files after closing a web browser while calibre is actually fetching news or converting a book). Things like that.

"Calibre gives the error message that it Could not change the on disk location of this book."

None of the above had anything to do with all the error messages I've received since a few versions ago. Closing the error box fixes the problem. I don't recall seeing this error box in the latest version, so I think it might have been fixed.

Last edited by deback; 02-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:50 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by deback View Post
"Calibre gives the error message that it Could not change the on disk location of this book."

None of the above had anything to do with all the error messages I've received since a few versions ago. Closing the error box fixes the problem. I don't recall seeing this error box in the latest version, so I think it might have been fixed.
Closing the box ignores the problem it does not fix the problem. As an example if you edit the metadata while Dropbox is running and alter the Author or Title Calibre will create a new folder, moving everything at that time. Sometimes Windows will give this error or one similar if an application such as Dropbox has control of the file at that time. This results in a library entry being moved to a new location without a book format in the proper folder.

You can see if any of your books have no format in them by searching calibre with formats:false in the search bar.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:37 AM   #8
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Closing the box ignores the problem it does not fix the problem. As an example if you edit the metadata while Dropbox is running and alter the Author or Title Calibre will create a new folder, moving everything at that time. Sometimes Windows will give this error or one similar if an application such as Dropbox has control of the file at that time. This results in a library entry being moved to a new location without a book format in the proper folder.

You can see if any of your books have no format in them by searching calibre with formats:false in the search bar.
This error was popping up for no reason after I upgraded to a new version about two months ago. I haven't seen it lately, though. I was doing none of the things you've mentioned when the error box popped up. I didn't report the bug here, because I figured I would just be chastised and blamed for the bug. So, my only choice was to just close out the error box when it appeared, and continue working. I realize doing that didn't fix the problem, but it seems to have been fixed in the last version or two.
Old 02-16-2018, 04:01 AM   #9
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
I didn't report the bug here, because I figured I would just be chastised and blamed for the bug.
With all respects - no. For me it looks like, that in stead of carefully listening you gave people the feeling of being blamed for helping. Hopefully I am wrong. There was some experienced users who have gave you additional ideas to take a closer look to your problem and system (telling you to look over the edge of the plate). Don't you think there was some knowledge in our answers that we was willing to share with you?

Sorry, this was exactly the opposite of blaming you. It is as well wrong not making a bug report if you are thinking there is a bug. If you (or any other user) want help for a problem you can't solve for your self or with help of the forum, you should provide Kovid a bug report with all (side) information and checks you made to eliminate anything else causing a problem. That's how it works.

Last edited by Divingduck; 02-16-2018 at 04:05 AM.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 08:08 AM   #10
deback
Book E d i t o r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divingduck View Post
With all respects - no. For me it looks like, that in stead of carefully listening you gave people the feeling of being blamed for helping. Hopefully I am wrong. There was some experienced users who have gave you additional ideas to take a closer look to your problem and system (telling you to look over the edge of the plate). Don't you think there was some knowledge in our answers that we was willing to share with you?

Sorry, this was exactly the opposite of blaming you. It is as well wrong not making a bug report if you are thinking there is a bug. If you (or any other user) want help for a problem you can't solve for your self or with help of the forum, you should provide Kovid a bug report with all (side) information and checks you made to eliminate anything else causing a problem. That's how it works.
I did carefully listen to the responses I've received in this forum, so fortunately, you are wrong. I was extremely grateful for the helpful comments, but the snarky comments mixed in with the helpful responses can be very annoying. Perhaps you missed those denigrating comments, or maybe you're just used to seeing them in this forum.

I ended up building a very nice system at the beginning of December. I knew it was time to upgrade, since my old computer was four years old. It's now very fast (Samsung 500GB SSD), has lots of memory (Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB), with the latest CPU (Intel i7-8700K), nice motherboard (Aorus Z370 Gaming 7), Le Grand Macho cooler with fan, EVGA 850 G3 power supply, EVGA GeForce GT 730 video card, Rosewill ATA case, and even a new LG GH24NSC0B optical drive. Calibre hasn't crashed since and everything works much faster now (saving files, checking books, etc). I've had no other problems, except the usual Windows 10 Creators update problems (mainly errors in the event logs that Microsoft hasn't fixed yet and probably never will).

Thanks for your comments!
Old 02-16-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I was extremely grateful for the helpful comments, but the snarky comments mixed in with the helpful responses can be very annoying. Perhaps you missed those denigrating comments, or maybe you're just used to seeing them in this forum.
No-one should be posting snarky comments on this forum. Please report any such comments to the moderators using the [!] Report Post button found at the bottom left of every post.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote