Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question how did Calibre library become read-only?

I am not sure how this happened, but when I try to edit some of my entries within Calibre, I get a read-only message. How can I change this setting?

Also, how do I reset the location on my computer that Calibre looks in for my ebook files?
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:23 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It would help if you posted the detailed error, but typically this is caused by either filesystem problems or anti-virus programs that decide to block access.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #3
ChipAHoy
Thistle Sifter
ChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notesChipAHoy can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
read-only

what kind of file system error might it be?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-02-09 at 12.06.33 PM.png
Views:	554
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	162158  
ChipAHoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:39 PM   #4
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAHoy View Post
what kind of file system error might it be?
What system are you on?
Apple?
Try opening the Calibre Library directory with a file manager and try to create a folder (directory) and create a file inside that folder (directory).
As long as Calibre isn't running at that moment nothing bad should happen.

Calibre complains that the filesystem is read only, so have a look whether it is true.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 05:25 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@ChipAhoy - looks like something on your system is either, changing the file attributes of the metadata.db file in the library folder, or changing its permission settings or those of its parent folder. I've no idea what that might be. Pretty sure it wouldn't be calibre though. Probably the OS itself, or 3rd party security software. Which version/editions of Windows are you using?

You could use File Properties to examine the file attributes and permissions (Security tab) of the metadata.db file, that might give you some clues.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2018, 08:49 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's most likely an antivirus blocking calibre. Because of the way anti-virus programs work, those errors present as read only errors.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
In a windows environment, one can end up with this issue on a clean install with the Calibre folder attached at the root of a drive. (ie, d:\calibre as the database) This is because, by default, Windows makes non-adminstrators have read-only access to the root of the drive, and calibre runs (as it _should_) without elevating privilege.

I ran into this recently when I virtualized the server that was hosting my calibre database, and forgot to reset the permissions. Duh.

Result? A complaint about a corrupted database. Sigh. Once I changed the permissions to give 'users' write permission, all was well.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:09 PM   #8
LadyKate
Fanatic
LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LadyKate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: android 4 (samsung tablet and asus tablet)
I am eager to hear if the OP solved the problem.
LadyKate is offline   Reply With Quote