Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-02-2018, 12:09 PM   #1
piau9000
piau9000 began at the beginning.

Device: none
PNG images losing quality.

Hi. I'm facing some problems with image quality for quite some time and I can't find what may be causing it.

Somehow, when I add a epub file to calibre, it converts some images from PNG to JPG and then back to PNG. You can cleary see it as it generates all the usual garbage that JPG adds (around texts for example it looks like literal puke).

Also it seems to affect only cover images. The other ones are not touched.

What is causing it?
The PNG inside the original epub is perfect as I compared it pixel by pixel with the source. But the PNG inside the epub on the calibre folder is clearly JPG.
I'm not talking about the small JPG file on the same folder, as it is indeed a lower quality JPG. I'm talking about the one inside the epub file.

Is there a way to make it stop?
piau9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You want to set the output profile to tablet to stop images from being changed.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2018, 02:23 PM   #3
piau9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You want to set the output profile to tablet to stop images from being changed.
Did not work.
After futher testing it seems to only happen when you edit a book. It seems that, when it create a instance for you to edit the book, it converts the cover image to JPG.
So whenever you are saving it, you need to replace the cover image with the lossless original image, otherwise it will save the low quality version instead.

Really weird.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Try going into the editor and then...

edit > preferences > integration with calibre > uncheck update metadata embedded in the book when opening

Also, make sure you are running the latest version. I've never had the graphics auto-convert. It doesn't do that here.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
When you open a file to edit, it's metadata, including cover is updated, if you dont want that to happen, turn off the option for it in the editor preferences under calibre integration.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #6
piau9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Try going into the editor and then...

edit > preferences > integration with calibre > uncheck update metadata embedded in the book when opening

Also, make sure you are running the latest version. I've never had the graphics auto-convert. It doesn't do that here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
When you open a file to edit, it's metadata, including cover is updated, if you dont want that to happen, turn off the option for it in the editor preferences under calibre integration.
That did it.
Thanks.

It also resolved some other issues that I was having.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #7
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you, I didn't understand the duplicated images
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote