Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

View Poll Results: What improvments would you like to see for the Glowlight 3?
Increase visual readability of Links/Dictionary 7 87.50%
Display Chapter page information while reading 3 37.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2018, 05:22 PM   #61
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Here's something Barnes & Noble needs to fix ASAP: The wishlist I create via their website is not visible through the NOOK. I can create a separate wishlist through the reader, but I can't see the one I created on line. This despite the fact that I can purchase ebooks online and later download them to the NOOK.

Seriously, B&N. Why erect barriers that keep your customers from spending their money? This is counter-productive.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #62
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Here's something Barnes & Noble needs to fix ASAP: The wishlist I create via their website is not visible through the NOOK. I can create a separate wishlist through the reader, but I can't see the one I created on line. This despite the fact that I can purchase ebooks online and later download them to the NOOK.

Seriously, B&N. Why erect barriers that keep your customers from spending their money? This is counter-productive.
I'd never realized that since I buy from Amazon. You might want to send that to the lriggio email address. That does seem like a dumb missed opportunity that should be easy to correct.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2018, 12:53 PM   #63
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
> An easy way to wirelessly sideload books.

Oh, Gawd, yes. Get around all the USB flakiness. If I thought the Nook programmers could be trusted not to screw it up .... anyone know where they're located? What native language do they speak?
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 01:02 PM   #64
hank
Dinosaur
hank began at the beginning.

Device: Clie TH55, SJ30, VisorEdge, Palm3xe
I would like to replace the Webster's New Collegiate with a better dictionary.
Preferably the OED.
I've discovered I read far too many authors who use a lot of words not in Webster's.
Mostly United Kingdom.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 05:53 PM   #65
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
My Kindle has the New Oxford American Dictionary as well as the Oxford English Dictionary. In the USA I think it comes with just the American dictionary but you can download the English version and it's free. I read quite a few English novels so I always download it. I've found it to be as good with American vocabulary as well.

[Edit] Sorry. I forgot this was a Nook oriented thread.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 PM   #66
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
To continue with discussion of the dictionary...

When a word is pressed and held, an abbreviated definition appears (above or below the word), as well as a little banner that pops up with icons for further actions. If a definition is longer than the abbreviated meaning, there is a "read more" button to press for the complete dictionary entry.

Unfortunately, the little popup banner often covers the "read more" button, partially or entirely.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:41 PM   #67
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for pointing this out. Unfortunately that short definition is also grayed out. It will be a nice feature when they make it readable.

Barry
Old 02-15-2018, 01:32 PM   #68
avara
avara began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Glowlight 3
Don't los the shelves
Don't los the shelves
Don't los the shelves
Don't los the
Don't los
Don't
D
avara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:41 PM   #69
nellie27
Enthusiast
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
Press the home button and swipe to awaken- often it goes to the home screen, as if the button registered two clicks.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:52 AM   #70
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So last night, my better half and I were reading The Girl on the Train together. She on the Glowlight 3 and me on my Kobo Aura.

In general, I prefer Kobo's software to the Glowlight. But we decided to compare where we are in the book and I was very jealous of the info contained in the little bar at the bottom.

At a glance, it showed she was on page 164 out of 271, it showed that there were 5 pages left in the current chapter and it showed the chapter title (not helpful in that particular case, since the chapter titles just alternate the two names, but useful in general).

Nook's software could use some polish and like others here I wish they would bring back the 'currently reading' button on the top left. But there are some things they've done a good job on.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:59 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So last night, my better half and I were reading The Girl on the Train together. She on the Glowlight 3 and me on my Kobo Aura.

In general, I prefer Kobo's software to the Glowlight. But we decided to compare where we are in the book and I was very jealous of the info contained in the little bar at the bottom.

At a glance, it showed she was on page 164 out of 271, it showed that there were 5 pages left in the current chapter and it showed the chapter title (not helpful in that particular case, since the chapter titles just alternate the two names, but useful in general).

Nook's software could use some polish and like others here I wish they would bring back the 'currently reading' button on the top left. But there are some things they've done a good job on.
But, you can get that or time left by reading kepub. You have choices on a Kobo. You don't on a nook.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #72
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, you can get that or time left by reading kepub. You have choices on a Kobo. You don't on a nook.
Dude, as mentioned, overall I prefer the Kobo software to the Nook. That doesn't mean you can't point out when they do something well.

The design of the pop-up bar at the bottom of the screen is well done.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:48 PM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Dude, as mentioned, overall I prefer the Kobo software to the Nook. That doesn't mean you can't point out when they do something well.

The design of the pop-up bar at the bottom of the screen is well done.
But the way you phrased it, you mad eit sound like the Kobo cannot do anything like what the nG3 is doing. It may not b the same, but it is similar.

When I started reading this thread, I did notice that most features wanted already exist in the Kobo firmware and I said so.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:11 PM   #74
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But the way you phrased it, you mad eit sound like the Kobo cannot do anything like what the nG3 is doing. It may not b the same, but it is similar.

When I started reading this thread, I did notice that most features wanted already exist in the Kobo firmware and I said so.
Kobo does it. But not as well. On the bottom of the screen, the Kobo will tell me how many pages are left in a chapter if I use kepub and choose that in the settings. The Kobo does tell me that I am 25% through the book at the top of the screen. It doesn't tell me what chapter I'm on unless I pop-up the table of contents.

The Nook shows all that information in a single bar. I like its presentation. It is one aspect of the Nook that is nicer than the way Kobo does it.

I think you need to stop worrying so much about what people say about the Nook in the Nook forum. Kobo is coming to the US and they are coming to the largest US brick and mortar retailer. They will have the best chance at success possible.
Old 02-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #75
barryem
Wizard

I have to agree that the NG3 does a better job of telling me how far I have to go in a chapter. I can do it on the Kobo if I work at it but it's just right there for me on the Nook.

I much prefer the interface on the Nook to the Kobo. Kobo has more options but the Nook has the options I want and the interface is a lot more intuitive.

I'm worried about B&N going under and leaving the Nook useless. That's and the grayed out entries in the dictionary are it's big problems. It's a nicer than average ereader.

Maybe Kobo will buy the Nook division from B&N and we'll have a Nobo. Or a Kook.

The truth is these things are all so good that preferences are biases. There aren't any compelling reasons to prefer any of them to the rest.

Barry